Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

155mm mags for 9mm/38sc

Posvar

I found, when I got the 155's that I could not tell the difference when reloading them and the 170's.  But did see a noticeable difference when reloading between 170's and 140's.  I'm all for anything to help make reloads more consistent.  

So I run only a 170 and 2 155's at all times now.  The 2nd 155 is the "oh crap'' mag and although I've only used it like 2 times ever, it sure was nice to have it when I needed it!

If you want to see what a 155 is like there's a cheap option. 

I run sti 140mm tubes with the Arredondo +4 bases (comes with a little anti tilt device too) with grams 11 coil spring and follower. That gives me 25 rounds reloadable. 13 cool spring lasts longer but you lose 1 round. 

If you like that size/capacity then buy the mbx 155. 

4 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

If you want to see what a 155 is like there's a cheap option. 

I run sti 140mm tubes with the Arredondo +4 bases (comes with a little anti tilt device too) with grams 11 coil spring and follower. That gives me 25 rounds reloadable. 13 cool spring lasts longer but you lose 1 round. 

If you like that size/capacity then buy the mbx 155. 

I cut the 13 coil springs down to 12 coils for 155 magazines...  Still 25 rounds reloadable, but can go to 26 if you want to...  I start at 26 and use the extra round for a barney round...

I have no input on the 155 mags since I don't have any, but I read a bunch of people in this thread saying they use "1X and 2Y on my belt."

I would highly recommend to everyone to have 3 magazines on your belt, here's why. I always want to have an "oh shit" mag available. Let's say for instance you have a big field course, 27+ rounds, with an unloaded start. You are going to lose one of your pouches to your starting magazine, so if you only have 2 pouches on your belt rhen you are down to just the one magazine you have to have for the reload. If one of your mags fails for some reason, or you blow the reload, or you accidentally hit the mag release, you are completely up a creek. With 3 pouches, you still have one that you can go to in that scenario.

Another situation could be stages that require two reloads, though that is honestly much more rare. If it is a two reload stage however, you again still have the one backup mag.

35 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I have no input on the 155 mags since I don't have any, but I read a bunch of people in this thread saying they use "1X and 2Y on my belt."

I would highly recommend to everyone to have 3 magazines on your belt, here's why. I always want to have an "oh shit" mag available. Let's say for instance you have a big field course, 27+ rounds, with an unloaded start. You are going to lose one of your pouches to your starting magazine, so if you only have 2 pouches on your belt rhen you are down to just the one magazine you have to have for the reload. If one of your mags fails for some reason, or you blow the reload, or you accidentally hit the mag release, you are completely up a creek. With 3 pouches, you still have one that you can go to in that scenario.

Another situation could be stages that require two reloads, though that is honestly much more rare. If it is a two reload stage however, you again still have the one backup mag.

I always run my back mag pouches more tightly than my front two.  They always stay nice and tight, and then I adjust the first two to be looser if there's minimal movement.  An extra magazine over what your plan is is required, but I think two is just extra weight on your belt that you don't need. Sometimes I'll run two extra if I'm worried about a weird movement, prop, or position losing a magazine.

I came to open from limited so i was use to reloads with 140 's . Any classifier requiring reloads i use the 140's . I found reloads with the 170's difficult to regain the grip in the same amount of time as the 140's . When i introduced a 155 into my open game, i found it's almost the same reload and grip acquisition as the 140's . With the added rounds , the 155 comes into play on a large course with lots of steel, really just for confidence in case i go to war with a polish or something but is nice to have in your options .