Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Darthrader18

I really hate to ask this. but here it goes. I am 100% new to loading 38sc and for an open gun. I have a schuemann hybrid 3 port barrel. with a comp that has 3 ports on top and 2 side ports. I havent seen a whole lot of published load data for 38 super comp that gets major pf.  I am wanting to load up 125 grain coated rn bullets. I have no.7, wac, lil gun, power pistol, and shooters world major pistol. can some one give me a few tips on where to start.  I got the gun used and the previous owner used 10.2 grains of 3n38. which doesnt shoot too flat in my opinion. the dot seems to dance around instead of going straight up and down. I am used to loading for 300aac and 9mm minor. I dont want to screw up the gun and very hesitant on where to start. (no vv powders in my area)  

Thanks guys and girls 

With the barrel you have I would use AA#7. You want a slow powder and lots of gas. I use it in 9 major and .38 super. In my opinion a jacketed bullet is better. If you want a round nose, Montana Gold 124 CMJ works well. I use an oal of 1.250 with that bullet. Crimp is .378  Any small rifle primer will work. You should start low and use a chrono to get to major. 

9 minutes ago, Ace38super said:

With the barrel you have I would use AA#7. You want a slow powder and lots of gas. I use it in 9 major and .38 super. In my opinion a jacketed bullet is better. If you want a round nose, Montana Gold 124 CMJ works well. I use an oal of 1.250 with that bullet. Crimp is .378  Any small rifle primer will work. You should start low and use a chrono to get to major. 

so far with aa#7 i have loaded 10 of each  9.6, 9.8 10.0 and 10.2 all to 1.250. I plan to use two different chronos to verify accuracy. Should I load up some lower grain than 9.6? 

Thanks 

I have a nearly identical 38SC barrel & comp setup as yours, but haven't ever used coated bullets. My guess is that your 10.2 load will be around 165-170PF if you were shooting jacketed 125's. Higher PF with coated. Great starting charges to work up your load.

AA#7 and 3n38 are my two favorite choices for open - both slow burning with lots of gas to work your comp & ports.

3n38 is cleaner burning, but a pain to load in 9 major.

AA#7 is denser and less expensive, but a little dirtier. Great for 9 or 38.

Coated bullets will make a mess in your comp.

Montana Gold  JHP's are my favorite. Super accurate, fully jacketed bases to keep your comp clean as possible and great feeding.  

I recommend trying MG115 JHP's at 173-175PF. Lighter bullet with more gas is the ticket to a flat shooting open gun.

You will probably end up around 11 grains of either powder at 1.250 with those 115's. 

Also, I would stick with small pistol primers so that you have a better read on loads that are getting too high pressure. SRP will hide that from you.

Next, you can get into fine tuning the dot tracking and recoil impulse with recoil spring,  mainspring & maybe even FP stop contour. 

Welcome to the dark side :)

15 hours ago, racer-x said:

I recommend trying MG115 JHP's at 173-175PF. Lighter bullet with more gas is the ticket to a flat shooting open gun.

You will probably end up around 11 grains of either powder at 1.250 with those 115's.

Also look at Precision Delta's 115's. Great quality at a better price point than MG. My load is also 11 gr of AA7 with 115's. Running 2 popple holes for 169 PF. Welcome to the wacky Open world.

I can’t help with your load development but I’ve been running blue bullets thru my open gun for a couple of years now

i started with the 125s and I now use their 115s, yes the comp does get more crud in than when I used to run jhp

but the cost saving and lower powder charge make it worth it to me