Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm Open Mag options

actionshooter

I'm going to give open a go this year and have my gun set up, its a 9mm parts gun, w/ SV grip.  For the 140 mags I am going to use the MBX mags that I use in my DVC3gun (9mm), the followers and springs have been updated w/ Grams because I just couldn't keep them running w/MBX guts.

I need a 170 mag and didn't really want to go through the MBX issues again, so who else should I be looking at? 

I've never felt the need to go the MBX route but a lot of guys seem to really like them.

I've used STI tubes (the only thing I use from STI) old style

With grams or TTI guts and Dawson or TTI bases

I've lightly filed or dremeled the ribs near the bottom where the loaded rounds transition from the widened area into the ribbed area for a smoother transition.

Use a spacer for 9mm

Or

If you can find old style SVI mags they work great also

I've had these mag tubes for a while and they work so never saw the need to change (9 re loadable , 30 to start)

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've never felt the need to go the MBX route but a lot of guys seem to really like them.

I've used STI tubes (the only thing I use from STI) old style

With grams or TTI guts and Dawson or TTI bases

I've lightly filed or dremeled the ribs near the bottom where the loaded rounds transition from the widened area into the ribbed area for a smoother transition.

Use a spacer for 9mm

Or

If you can find old style SVI mags they work great also

I've had these mag tubes for a while and they work so never saw the need to change (9 re loadable , 30 to start)

Exactly this^. My favorite open mag is an old style SV 170 tube with Grams 13 coil spring kit & Dawson base pad. I get 29 reloadable. Same set up in an STI 28 reloadable. I have to reload on most field courses, so chasing the extra round is not a big deal. Starting over, I'd look for several STI 131 tubes. Add the Dawson Para bases to make 25-26 round mags. Best of both worlds. Reloads like a 140, but extra "oh crap" rounds. 

I have MBX 9 and 40 mags.  I've only ever had one problem with MBX mags.  One of the 40 mags just would not work like the others.  Eventually I disassembled the problem mag and a good one, compared, and discovered the 'bad' mag had shipped with a 9mm follower instead of a 40.  MBX corrected that ASAP.

I also have 1st gen SVI mags.  The big stick has TTI guts and base pad.  The 140s have Grams guts and Dawson base pads.  They run beautifully.  I also have STI mags with Grams guts and pad.  I use them for dry fire practice.