Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not Going To Nationals

j1b

So I'm not going to nationals.

I've pissed away my couple of hundred bucks on an entry fee only to see it go to waste.

What do I like about this? I've got a job. A good job. Does it pay what I put into it? No - But I have it and it pays good so I don't have much to bitch about.

I have an incredible wife. She's in Hong Kong this week (I'll be there in a couple). We both work hard for what we've got.

You know, some time ago I made the choice between shooting and life. Now I'm able to merge the two. I have an incredible wife who represents all that I am and supports everything I do. I have an great daughter that I try everyday to teach the good things to. Shooting is a part of me - it is who I am. But I made the choice that I've got to prioritize. I've got to make something of my life.

Yes, I wish I were going to Nationals - and yes - I WILL SHOOT NATIONALS AGAIN! just not this year.

I like the fact that I have other things to put in front. I like that I Love my family enough to put what I want to do aside. I like that I am committed to my job and that I feel like the things I'm doing are the right things.

Today I realize that life is a give and take sport. I'll shoot a match on sunday - and I'll do well. I may wonder "what if" about nationals. I'll never have to wonder "what if" with my wife.

That's a good life.

J

Today I realize that life is a give and take sport. I'll shoot a match on sunday - and I'll do well. I may wonder "what if" about nationals. I'll never have to wonder "what if" with my wife.

That's a good life.

J

Jack,

I couldnt agree more! Although I want to see you at nationals sometime soon! Your wife is also lucky she has someoen who realizes this.

Keith

Well said, Jack.

I'd actually take my chances of not getting a slot, rather than not having you there. You're a legend! BUT, I definitely understand where you're coming from. I've realized that no matter how I do, or what I do, Denielle and Colton will always think that I'm #1!

You'll be missed.

Phil

Jack..

nice perspective..

shooting has taken a lot of us to many big matches and to meet new friends..

like you, I count myself lucky to have a great wife and great kids and a great job..

have fun in Hong Kong..

j1b, I enjoyed your post as I can draw many parallels with it. While I am going to the open nationals as a vendor, I have elected not to shoot as a competitor. For one reason, I was never able to procure a slot. Admittedly, the extra $75 would not stop me from shooting if I really wanted to. Fact of the matter is, I never even signed up on the waiting list. While I was 4th overall at Area 6 last year in open, I was still second in class, so no slot. But, that's a topic for another thread. Secondly, as a vendor, I've discovered I have to sacrifice as a competitor. I can't be a vendor and a competitor at the same match and do either in the manner I desire. I can't keep my head in the game running back and forth between stages and the vendor area. I will likewise ask "what if" about the nationals. Top 16? Who knows now. I made my decision. I think the best answer to the "what if" question is "oh well".