Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick's Training, Range and Match Log Diary

stick

9/11/23

After long consideration, I have decided to go back to PCC.  I love my CO CZ!  I just cant seem to get the dot where I want it.  I'm struggling with finding the dot.  I'll continue to practice with the CZ, but I'm going back to PCC.

New PCC Dryfire drills (still developing par times and drills)

1.  Stock on belt to dot on head .7 10 repetitions.

2.  Dot on target, reload, dot on target 1.7 10 repetitions

3.  Unloaded table starts to dot on target 1.7 5 repetitions (mag on belt)

4.   Unloaded table starts to dot on target 1.7 5 repetitions (mag on table)

5.  Dot on target, reload, switch shoulders, dot on target 1.7 ?? (slow motion right now)

6.  Transitions narrow and wide

7.  Shooting while moving (walk the triangle)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9/21/23

I've been dry firing for about a week now with the PCC.  

I've been alternating movement drills with static drills.

Here's the Static portion of my dry fire routine

1) Stock on belt to head shot .7 seconds

2) Dot on target, Reload, Dot on target 1.7 seconds

3) Unloaded Table starts 1.7 seconds

a) Ammo on belt

b) Ammo on table

4) Dot on target, switch shoulders, dot on target 1.7 seconds

5) 4 target array transitions with dot on first target narrow and wide transitions (2 shots on each target) 1.3 seconds

Movement Drills

1) Step in, step out, step left and step right

2) Shooting while moving forward and moving backward

3) Stepping, then shooting while moving

Learning how to shoot between steps after watching a PCC mastery video from Maxamundi.

Unloaded starts are the hardest to achieve.  From the belt is easier than table starts.  Controlling the dot, for me, seems easier moving backwards than forward.  Moving forward, the dot bounces more than moving backward.

Just installed the JBO 60 degree Ambi safeties in both PCC's.  Still getting used to the 60 degree safety, but it seems faster than the 90 degree switch. 

9/22/23 Dry Fire Review

1) Stock on belt to head shot .7 is getting easier to obtain.  Still need more time to practice before I'm comfortable dropping the time.

2) Dot on target, reload, dot on target dropped 1.7 to 1.5 to 1.3 to 1.2.  I fiddled with 1.0 but I was just off consistently.  1.2 will be my par time for the next week or so.

3) Unloaded table starts were practiced in slow motion both from the belt and table starts.  Aligning the mag perpendicular to the PCC seems to be the fastest.  I'll start throwing in a par time after I feel comfortable with my consistency.

4) Dot on target, switch shoulder, dot on target--> down from 1.7 to 1.3.

Now to work a little on some movement tonight. 

9/25/23  USPSA Match @OK Corral

GoPro went crazy and didn't record, so no video!

I ended up coming in 22nd overall out of 32 shooters with 62.04%. 

Here's the score breakdown PCC

A 145

C 29

D 2

M 2

1 FTSA (I totally blew by the target)

My time was 153.58 and the first place shooter (Open GM) was at 100.75

What did I learn from this match?

I shoot accurate, but I'm slow moving.

What did someone tell me?

1) I'm shooting PCC.  Their is no reason for me to go completely into hard corners and ports fully because it takes me longer to exit with a rifle.  I need to stay (or can stay back) and still get my hits.

2) While running another shooter, I hauled ass to get out of his way.  Another shooter noticed it and told me "why don't you move like that when you're shooting?

My Takeaways

First match with the PCC in a long time.  It was nice to get back and shoot the PCC.  I need to work on movement and faster shooting.

9/25/23

Movement training

I worked on moving left and right both with and without the PCC.  I also worked on moving forward and backward with the PCC.  My right foot, is sore and I wore my cross trainers with custom orthotics.  I need to be very aggressive moving side to side.

• 2 weeks later...

10/9/23  

Another dry fire training session.  I added some harder movement drills today during my movement session.

Box to Box 3.50 (draw, 2 on paper, move to box B and 2 on paper). Alternate sides left to right and right to left

Shooting while moving hard 2.50 (pics below) 3 steps minimum.  4 reps moving forward/backward alternating and then left/right alternating sides.

The forward/backward is ok.  The right is good, but the moving left is giving me fits.

20231009_182135.jpg

10/16/23

Recap from 10/14/ Match  

I came in 10th overall out of 50 shooters and 3rd in PCC. I shot the match with my Steel Challenge PCC.  Considering I has 2 FTSA which resulted in 4 mikes and 2 procedurals (Stage 6) I did very well.  The dryfire training definitely has improved my times for this match.  The match had 2 stages (one Classifier) which required reloads.  I nailed both.  I edited it out of the match video, but you can clearly hear the other shooters say "wow that was fast".

Match video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cp200ig2S0

Other tidbits of useless information

New Taccom Ultralight carbon fiber handguard arrived.  Installed it on my USPSA PCC.  It looks amazing.  14" long.  It covers all but 2" of the comp on my Taccom Barrel.  I have the blast shield installed all the way forward.

blue barrel (Medium).jpg

10/22/23
I'm mixed about the Steel Challenge match yesterday. I had some misses and made some stupid mistakes.  One shot on square plates requiring two, stationary shooting at times, but it seemed the dot was washed out on several stages which slowed me down.  I really like a bright dot.  I was basically point firing at some of the targets.  Dry firing definitely paid off on some of the stages.  I can see the progress.  I need to trust the process.  It's a marathon and not a sprint. 
I ordered a Holosun picatinny rail.  Might dabble with the idea of changing out the Cmore and putting on the Holosun.