Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick's Training, Range and Match Log Diary

stick

Initial Diary entry

I decided to make a diary to document my path.  A little about me.

I love to shoot.  I just started shooting again after a year vacation.  I'm totally screwed up in my shooting.  I'm left handed and right eye dominant.  I shoot pistols left handed and rifles right handed.  I always had issues aligning the sights correctly on pistols...then I built a PCC with a C-more railway.  Now I have the PCC bug.  I'm also thinking about dabbling in Carry Optics.  I recently installed a Vortex Venom on my M&P Pro.

I'm currently classed C in USPSA at 54%  I only have 4 classifiers in though.  

My goal is to make A class in PCC.

My Commitment to dry fire a minimum of 5 days a week for 10-15 minutes a day.

I try to live fire once a week, but work and life interferes.  Working rotating weekends, I try to shoot 2-4 matches a month.

Any and all help, tips, suggestions, encouragement and comments are greatly appreciated. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12/28/17

Equipment used:  CR speed belt and AR9 PCC rifle with C-more railway.

Today's Dry fire training was indoors using 1/3 scale USPSA targets.

I used 2 setups today. #1 was 6 chickens and El Presidente

Six chickens had the  timer set for 7 seconds.  I seemed to struggle with 7 seconds on this scenario.  The reload coupled by the change from strong hand to weak shoulder slowed me down.  When I increased the timer to 8 seconds, I was beating the timer consistently.  I will have to continue to work  on shoulder transitions.  Next training session I will decrease the timer to 7.8 seconds until the transitions smooth out a little.

El Presidente timer was set at 5 seconds.  when I nailed the reloads, I was beating the timer by a millisecond.  obviously when I fumbled the reload (even slightly) I was slower.

I also worked on reloads with the timer set at 1.1 seconds.  I have 4 small 2 inch squares placed around the room.  I worked on transitions from square to square.

Equipment failure:  I just got Black scorpion mag pouches for my CR Speed belt.  My front pouch under my belly button keeps coming loose.  I cranked the screw down and it came loose again.  I ended up using blue Loctite.  if it happens again, I'm calling the company.

I wish I could find a mag pouch that had the ability to angle and be able to attach to my Safariland ELS belt. 

12/30/17

Short dry fire session today.  Today's focus was movement.

First drill was moving left to right and right to left mounting and unmounting the gun.  no timer or par time was used or established.

Second drill was moving forward and backward while trying to keep the dot shooting simulated plate rack.  I focused on getting low and while moving forward I concentrated on heel to toe movement.  on the retreat, I focused on toe to heel movement.  The dot was still bouncing.  I need to continue to practice to settle the dot more.  I also worked a little on acceptable sight picture on the simulated plate rack.  Listening to a pod cast by Josh Mazzola, He recommended that you can slightly cheat the plate rack and you don't have to ensure a dead center hit for it to fall. 

I also worked on 1.1 second PCC reloads.  I know very well that with 41 round magazines, I won't reload during most stages.  Practicing for classifiers.

1/1/18

Here's the plan for the week.  Dry fire a minimum of 4 days 

Weekly area of focus:  Manipulating the gun from strong shoulder to weak shoulder after reloading.

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:

1.        Six chickens

a.       Start at 8 second par time

b.       Push par time lower

2.       Reloads

a.       1.1 second par time from primary reload mag

b.      1.1 second par time from secondary mag.

3.       Transitions from side to side (no par time) new drill to develop muscle memory

a.       Standing in front of shed move to right and use strong shoulder

b.      Standing in front of shed move left and use weak shoulder

4.       Mounting the gun from over the shoulder to shooting

a.       Develop par time

b.      Push the par time

1/1/18

Today's dry fire training Recap

1.        Six chickens

a.       Start at 8 second par time(Stayed at 8 seconds) when I transitioned the gun with my lower body, my transitions were better and I was beating the par time.  I didn't drop the par time yet.  I still need to ensure smooth transitions to the weak shoulder after the reload.

2.       Reloads

a.       1.1 second par time from primary reload mag (Dropped par time to 1 second)

b.      1.1 second par time from secondary mag. (Missing par time from secondary mag) still need to work on secondary mag reloads.

3.       Transitions from side to side (no par time) new drill to develop muscle memory

Transitions did involve movement and I was moving from side to side.  No par time used.

a.       Develop par time (started at 1 second) and the time was too long.  Dropped to .8 seconds from over the shoulder to the first shot.

b.      Push the par time (I think I can drop the par time to .75 with more practice.  I need to ensure that I'm doing the drill correctly and not just racing the clock.

1/2/18

1.        Six chickens

Started at 8 seconds.  after a few runs, I dropped the par time to 7.8 seconds.  I'm still woking on transitions from target to target.  I need to look up times and hit factors to determine where I need to be with this drill.  What is a reasonable run? and what is my end goal with this drill?

2.       Reloads

a.       1.1 second par time from primary reload mag (Dropped par time to 1 second)

b.      1.1 second par time from secondary mag. (Missing par time from secondary mag) still need to work on secondary mag reloads.  I'm only going to work secondary mag reload 2-3 times a week.  I feel it's useless unless I'm shooting the monster match.  I only carry my big stick and primary (emergency mag during matches).

Not worked today.  All dry fire training today was indoors (Raining)

Par time dropped to .70  which is probably the fastest I'll be able to do this drill.

5 hours ago, stick said:

1.        Six chickens

Started at 8 seconds.  after a few runs, I dropped the par time to 7.8 seconds.  I'm still woking on transitions from target to target.  I need to look up times and hit factors to determine where I need to be with this drill.  What is a reasonable run? and what is my end goal with this drill?

What is a reasonable run?

As I understand it, the current PCC HHF's are based on Open scores. I added that classifier to "dummy match" that I whipped up in Practiscore--there are also a couple of websites that allow you to see the HF breakdowns.

Assuming all Alphas

7.8 seconds = 7.6923 or 92.73% M

8.0 seconds = 7.5000 or 90.42% M

Pretty solid as long as you can bring that run to a match.

For Reference

100% GM = 8.3000 HF 

Assuming all Alphas, that's a 7.23 second run

It's looks like you've been hitting this particular classifier pretty hard in the past week. Is this showing up at a match shortly? ;)

3 hours ago, Rez805 said:

What is a reasonable run?

As I understand it, the current PCC HHF's are based on Open scores. I added that classifier to "dummy match" that I whipped up in Practiscore--there are also a couple of websites that allow you to see the HF breakdowns.

Assuming all Alphas

7.8 seconds = 7.6923 or 92.73% M

8.0 seconds = 7.5000 or 90.42% M

Pretty solid as long as you can bring that run to a match.

For Reference

100% GM = 8.3000 HF 

Assuming all Alphas, that's a 7.23 second run

It's looks like you've been hitting this particular classifier pretty hard in the past week. Is this showing up at a match shortly? ;)

I'm hitting it hard.  Thanks for the response.  I noticed that switching off shoulder was a opportunity for me at a recent match.  I know that a couple of ranges I shoot at usually have classifier matches coming up.  I want to be ready.

I'm hoping I can push it in training knowing I'm usually slower in match situations.

1/3/18

1.        Six chickens

Started at 7.8 seconds.  after a few runs, I dropped the par time to 7.7 seconds.  I'm still woking on transitions from target to target.  I feel that I need to run this drill in live fire. I might need to drop off to 8 seconds and become more consistent.  I feel that I need to run this drill a little slower and ensure I'm getting good hits.  One shot per target, then the reload and shoulder switch is getting better.  the off shoulder shooting needs work.  I'm having to close my dominant eye to see the dot on my C-more Railway.

2.       Reloads

a.       1.0 second par time from primary reload mag.  This drill is getting smoother.  I'm interested in reload to shot time (which is probably 1.2 or 1.3 seconds)

3.       Transitions from side to side (no par time) new drill to develop muscle memory (running right strong shoulder mount gun, then running left weak shoulder, mount gun) is getting smoother.  I still need to work on this drill.

Par time dropped to .70  which is probably the fastest I'll be able to do this drill.  I moved the drill back to .75  I'm interested to see what is actually an acceptable time on this drill.

USPSA Action Steel is Sunday January 7th.  Interested to see what progress I've made.

1/5/18

Only did 5 minutes of dry fire tonight.  Cleaned the PCC and showed both kids how to clean their guns.  My 13 year old daughter is going to shoot her very first steel challenge match tomorrow with her PCC.

I'm anxious to see what progress I've made this week with my dry fire training.  I'll have to post a match summary and a video of my daughter.

1/6/18

Steel challenge match

I ended up finishing 6th out of 47 shooters.  First place was a Forum member GM (Nimitz) as expected.  I took my 13 year old daughter to her first Steel challenge match.  It was exciting to see her compete for the first time.  She also shot PCC and finished a respectable 33rd.  She was given compliments on her shooting ability and she will learn and grow with the experience she gathered today.

Ok.  back to me about my match.  I feel that the dry fire practice has paid off this week.  Even though I was shooting steel challenge (stationary) I did learn something very important today that I can take away to other matches.  As you know, with steel challenge, you start at low ready with the PCC pointing downrange at the cone.  I was looking at the dot above the cone and not my target.  I learned that if I focus on my first target, I was faster since I didn't have to acquire the target.  ll I had to do was to raise the gun and shoot.  12.38 seconds was the difference from my 6th place finish and Nimitz.  All be it we are shooting different platforms, I had a strong showing.

Issues encountered

stage 8 (outer limits) was by far my worst stage.  For some reason, I couldn't see the dot on the c-more.  I don't believe I missed an entire shot until that stage.  I have the Arrendando hood and guga ribas cover on my C-more but I still had a very faint dot.  I had new Duracell 357 batteries installed, so I know it wasn't the batteries.  Something to do with the Florida sun and the time of day I guess. I need to call C-more and see what they recommend.  I love my optic, but hate that I lose it when it's bright out.

What I learned

Transitions are everything and Practice pays off.  

Transitions on steel- I could have done a better job transitioning from target to target by driving the gun faster.  I've been working on transitions using my lower body.  Obviously more work need to be done.

I'm happy with my Dry fire training and I'm looking forward to my next week of drills.

Next match is tomorrow shooting Action steel.  I'm looking forward to getting more trigger time with movement this time.  I'll post a video from the steel challenge when I figure out where my son put the video camera after the match.  The video on my phone looks like its 3 miles from the action and only shows the steel and not me actually shooting.

Match Scores (Names and numbers changed to protect the innocent)

Final Name Number Class Division Time
1 xxx xxx G RFPO 103.05
2 xxx xxx A RFPO 105.58
3 xxx xxx U RFPO 106.14
4 xxx xxx B RFPO 109.86
5 xxx xxx B PCCO 113.01
6 Scott, Michael xxx U PCCO 115.43
7 xxx xxx U RFRO 116.06
8 xxx xxx B RFPO 123.43
9 xxx xxx B RFPO 125.89
10 xxx xxx U RFRO 128.85

Edited by stick

1/7/18  Action steel match.

I placed 19th overall out of 73.  While this was a good showing, I had a major screw up that cost me 9 procedurals on one stage for a 27 second penalty and a another screw up on my first stage.  I started on stage 5.  The buzzer goes off and no dot!  Oh shit what happened?  After a few seconds, I realized that I forgot to turn on the dot.  The major issues came on stage 7 where I took 9 procedurals for shooting the steel from the wrong boxes.  I had a plan and decided to change it while walking up to the line.  Major match screw up that was a valuable learning lesson on stage planning.  I have the rank for each stage based on overall match results.  Stages 2,3 &4 were my last three stages.  I did slightly fumble one reload on stage 3.  I've been practicing reloads, but it's entirely different reloading full magazines as opposed to empty magazines.  I'm happy with my performance today, just disappointed in my stage preparation and planning.  It's a new week! and with it comes a new dry fire routine for the week.  

I'll probably post the stage 7 blunder in match screw ups.  I took a picture of the stage and the WSB.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Finish
Name Division Rank Rank Rank Rank Rank Rank Rank
19 Scott, Michael PCC 13 6 4 3 17 13 66

Edited by stick

1/7/18 Part 2

So here's my major screw up.  A very simple stage if you actually follow the directions.

The back box and the front boxes you shoot the square plates.  from the side boxes you shoot the round plates.  I started in the back box and shot the correct plates, I then ran to the left box and shot the round plates.  I ran to the right box and shot the square plates, then i went to the front box and shot the round plates.  9 procedurals 27 seconds in penalties.  I even confirmed with the RO before I shot that the front and back boxes are square plates and the two side boxes are round plates.  I made the major mistake of asking another shooter how he was going to shoot this stage and he said around the world.  I walked up to the line thinking around the world when I was going to go from side to side.  Lesson #1 stick to your plan!!!! Don't ask anyone how they are going to shoot it when you are walking to the line to shoot.

stage7.jpg

stage7wsb (2).jpg

1/8/18

The thought process for this weeks drills:  I can nail the reloads in practice (empty mag), but had a slight fumble with a fully loaded mag.  Dummy rounds to make the magazine heavier (simulate live fire reload)

Transitions are getting better.  agility/endurance is more for endurance (trying to cut down on stage time)

Here's the plan for this week:

Weekly area of focus:  Reloads (weighted magazines) Transitions from target to target and agility/endurance training.

1.        Six chickens

a.       Start at 7.8 second par time

b.      Push par time lower

2.       Reloads

a.       1.0 second par time from primary reload mag

b.      Weighted magazine with dummy rounds for a more realistic reload.

4.       Agility and endurance training

a.       Setup three USPSA boxes 10 yards apart

1.        Run forward to box 1

2.       Run backwards to box 2

3.       Run laterally to box 3

b.      Develop a par time for each movement and drop the par time after 2 days.

c.       Complete 4 sets

1.        2 sets with the gun

2.       2 sets without the gun

1/8/18 Dry Fire training

1.        Six chickens

Started at 7.8 seconds.  Fumbled the first couple of reloads and shoulder transitions.  Smoothed out after the first couple of repetitions.  Right now, I need to continue to do perfect repetitions at this time.

2.       Reloads

Had the magazine filled with about 20 dummy rounds for added weight.  I was nailing the empty mag reload, but noticed that I was a bit slower with the loaded mag.  I think over time, the loaded mag will yield better results since it will simulate a live fire reload.

Not worked today (exhausted after doing agility and endurance training,

setup two shooting boxes 10 yards apart.  Started with the timer at 3 seconds.  Ran from box to box in 3 seconds.

I did multiple repetitions, then I did more repetitions with the PCC focusing on getting the gun ready to shoot as I was about 2 steps from the box.  my focus was to shoot when my second foot entered the box.

Ran backwards and laterally from box to box until i was winded.  I'm beginning to feel my age.

1/9/18 Dry fire training

Shorter session today because of the rain.  I was unable to practice transitions and agility/endurance training outside.

1.        Six chickens

Started at 7.8 seconds.  This is a good time for me right now.  When I hit the reload and the shoulder swap, I beat the clock.  otherwise I'm right at the buzzer.  I focused on using my lower body for my transitions.  It seemed smoother and faster when I rotated my lower body faster. the gun seemed to stop in the "A" zone easier.

2.       Reloads

With the magazine filled with dummy rounds, reloads are a bit slower than with empty magazines.  I'm still really close to the one second par time on the timer.

Not worked today (Rained all day)

Not worked today (Rained all day)

1/10/18

1.        Six chickens

Started at 7.8 seconds.  I'm pushing this drill and I'm not responding.  My feeling is that I need to continue to push myself and not drop the time.  7.8 seconds and a conservative 50 points is classed "A"  I can realistically achieve the goal with the drill if I continue to practice it along with the individual components.

2.       Reloads

Had the magazine filled with about 20 dummy rounds for added weight.  I sort of had an aha moment today.  When I was working my reloads, I usually just stay on the cheek weld and just reload.  I was noticing that I had a smoother reload when I just tilted the rifle slightly to the left to help see the mag well better.  I stayed on the cheek weld and it was a bit smoother.

Transitions are feeling smoother as I move shoulder to shoulder and side to side.

Left the boxes spaced 10 yards apart.  I stretched and did some slow motion drills to reinforce what I was trying to accomplish.  Par time was 3 seconds.  My runs both with and without the PCC seemed a little slower today than Monday.  I'm thinking maybe because of all the rain we had yesterday.  I focused on mounting the PCC 1-3 steps from the other box, allowing me to be ready to shoot once my back foot was inside the box.  I'm curious how much time this will save me in match conditions?

1/11/18

Short Dry fire session today.  My son tested positive for Influenza type A. So between the doctor visit and work, I was only able to work on a few quick drills.  

Reloads with one second par time (Full mag with dummy rounds) to simulate real live fire conditions.

Transitions- worked on driving the lower body for faster transitions.

Edited by stick

1/12/18

Another short dry fire session tonight.  I get geared up and realize that it's raining again outside, so I decide to dry fire in the house.  I then realize that I left 9 dry fire (1/3 scale ) targets outside in the pouring rain.  I did work on transitions and reloads.

Transitions-using my lower body to drive the gun

Reloads- 1 second par time with 33 round mag full of dummy rounds.

Hopefully tomorrow ill be able to get outside and work on shoulder to shoulder transitions and movement from box to box.

1/13/18 Dry Fire training

Equipment change.  I ordered Double Alpha Academy racer mag pouches from CPWSA.  I ditched the Black Scorpions.  I couldn't keep the angle on the black scorpion even with Loctite they would come loose.  So today was the first day with the DAA pouches.  I like the retention and resistance from the pouches.

1.        Six chickens

Started at 7.8 seconds.  I need to stay at this time and try and drop slowly  maybe 7.6 might be my max time on this drill.  This par time really pushes me to do EVERYTHING correctly to make the par time.

2.       Reloads

Still at 1 second par time.  I'm getting smoother with the loaded mag on the reloads.  I also practiced the secondary mag reload tonight.  I really don't plan on carrying three mags for matches (Except for the monster match) but I need to know that I still have the skills.

Transitions are feeling smoother as I move shoulder to shoulder and side to side.  I feel very comfortable and seem like I can move a little faster running left with the gun on my left shoulder.  I'm still working on getting into a shooting position before i get to the corner.

4.       Agility and endurance training (3 second par time. boxes 10 yards apart)

I started working on leaning and preparing to leave the box before the timer went off.  I also worked hard on getting the gun back into a firing position 2-3 steps before entering the box.  I was getting into the box before the timer went off, but I was able to break off a shot before the timer went off.