Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick's Training, Range and Match Log Diary

stick

5/14/18

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:  Each Stage will consist of five repetitions (1 sets of 5)

1.      Accelerator

a.      2.61 Par Time

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

a.      2.89 Par Time

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

a.      4.40 par time

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

a.      2.89 Par Time

I’m glad the rain stopped long enough for me to practice tonight. I ran the stages in order tonight.  Tonight’s training session felt very smooth.  It didn’t seem any faster, but it was really smooth and I was making the par times on all the stages except one. Guess which one? Yes! It was smoke and hope.  It’s such an easy stage, but it’s deceiving.  I actually ran 2 sets of repetitions on the stage (10 repetitions).  I had some right at the par time (maybe 3 or so) but the majority was just over the par time allotted.  I listened to Nimitz pod cast on steel challenge (http://ultimatesteelshooter.libsyn.com/website) He discussed shooting Outer Limits 1-2-5-4-3 (stop).  I had been shooting it 1-2-4-5-3 (stop).  I actually think it might be slightly faster his way.  The 18x24 plate is an easier shot entering the box after moving the 6 feet.  I’ll have to practice it and see during a match which way is faster.  I’ll think I’ll practice it his way for a while. Training was smooth and my transitions were easy and followed my eyes very well.  I’m excited to see what I learn during tomorrow’s training.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/15/18

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:  Each Stage will consist of five repetitions.

1.      Accelerator

a.      2.61 Par Time

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

a.      2.89 Par Time

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

a.      4.40 Par Time

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

a.      2.89 Par Time

You got to love Florida.  Yesterday I was battling the rain to practice; today I’m battling the glaring sun and heat.  I am extremely satisfied with today’s dry fire session.  I started from the bottom up.  With the exception of a couple of repetitions from speed option, I made all the par times (Including Smoke & Hope).  If this continues, I’ll start to drop the par times by .01-.02 and I’ll see how I do.  Let’s not get ahead of myself; but, if I continue on my current track, GM is a reality.  89.12% is only 5.88% away from GM.  I can see me improving my lower scores on my troublesome stages.  I’ll continue to practice all eight stages.  I might post a few videos of some of my dry fire sessions in the near future.

5/16/18

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:  Each Stage will consist of five repetitions.

1.      Accelerator

a.      2.61 Par Time

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

a.      2.89 Par Time

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

a.      4.40 Par Time

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

a.      2.89 Par Time

I managed to get in a dry fire session in between the rain today. I watched a video of me shooting and I noticed that I was coming off the trigger instead of resetting the trigger.  I worked on it tonight and I think I can shave .01 to .03 seconds per run by resetting the trigger instead of coming off of it.  I focused on the trigger more than anything else tonight.  I still made 90% of the par times for the stages.  Smoke & Hope was decent again tonight.  I would like to make it out to the range tomorrow, but with the weather forecast, I don’t want to drive an hour to get rained out.  I’ll probably just work on load development instead.

5/18/18

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:  Each Stage will consist of five repetitions using the Shoot Steel Challenge Banners.

1.      Accelerator

a.      2.61 Par Time

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

a.      2.89 Par Time

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

a.      4.40 Par Time

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

a.      2.89 Par Time

I worked on the staying on the trigger again tonight.  It almost feels like I was pinning the trigger.  I think this could save me maybe .01-.03 in time since I’m minimizing my finger movement from shot to shot.  I was also over swinging the gun tonight.  I was either breaking the shot too early or too late.  I was out of sync.  I’m not really worried about since I was focusing on my trigger finger.  I made roughly 90% of the par times even though speed was not my focus.  I was almost rushing to get done before the rain started. 

I’m thinking of dropping some of the par times by .01-.04 (depending on my current percentage on the stage).  Smoke & Hope is definitely not going to change.  I’ll have to make note of the stages that I absolutely 100% of the repetitions make the par time. 

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 5/20/18 -5/27/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge Focus will be dry firing all eight stages focusing on fast transitions, calling shots and beating the par time while ensuring sight alignment.

Dry fire Drills to complete this week:  Each Stage will consist of five repetitions using the Shoot Steel Challenge Banners.

1.      Accelerator

a.      2.58 Par Time down from 2.61

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

a.      2.80 Par Time down from 2.89

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

a.      4.38 Par Time down from 4.40

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

a.      2.85 Par Time down from 2.89

I dropped four of the par times Accelerator, The Pendulum, Outer Limits and Speed Option.  The biggest drop was The Pendulum down from 2.89 to 2.80 seconds.

I usually don’t practice on Sunday, but since it rained all day yesterday and most of today, I decided to take advantage of the break in the rain to practice.

I didn’t really notice a difference in the lower par times.  Smoke & Hope was still giving me fits.  I was a little sloppy on some of my transitions.  They didn’t feel crisp and smooth. I also had my son out with my carry optic gun doing some runs.  I’ll have to see how my runs progress this week.  I might need to drop some of the par times again to push myself.  I believe I have until July before I shoot another match (My alternating weekends at work) I’ll have to look at the calendar.  I also need to get out to the range and do some more load development.

5/21/18

1.      Accelerator

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

I managed to get in another dry fire session.  The ground was wet, the sky black and the humidity high.  I started with accelerator and I made all of the par times.  I didn’t have any problems with this stage today.  Five to go was iffy.  The dot was partially covering the plates, so, I really had to call my shots.  The pendulum was third and I really blew through this stage.  I really smoke this stage in practice.  I really hope I can smoke it in a match.  Roundabout was roundabout.  I really like this stage.  I always shoot it well.  Outer Limits was relatively smooth.  I exploded from the first box into the other.  I made all of the par times on this stage.  Smoke & Hope was ok.  I made about half of the par times.  I wasn’t seeing the fourth or fifth plate very well.  Showdown was smooth.  I didn’t have any issues.  Speed Option was probably my best stage.  It just felt right.  I easily made all of my par times.

5/22/18

1.      Accelerator

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

I couldn’t live today because of the rain here in sunny Florida.  I didn’t even want to dry fire in the light drizzle of rain, but I sucked it up and went out to dry fire.

The stages were mediocre tonight.  I had a lot of excellent repetitions, but I was sloppy on my reverse transitions, low on some transitions and the dot was wandering off the plates.  The same usual stages produced good results, while others (Smoke & Hope) gave me fits.  Speed Option was good again tonight.  Showdown (both left and right) were very fast, and pendulum was fast and smooth.  I was a little dot sloppy on Outer Limits.  I transitioned to the wrong target once and the dot was jumping all over the place when I landed in the box.  I don’t know, maybe I was compensating for the heavy rain and the grass was very wet.  Let’s see what tomorrow brings.  I’m not sure of practice.  Wednesday and Thursday I work late at work, so I usually practice in the morning.  The heavier rain has been in the mornings.

On a side note, I also pulled out the M&P and donned the holster for some carry optics practice.  All I can say is where’s the damn dot?

5/22/18

1.      Accelerator

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

Weather forecast for today Rain.  Of course, the sun was shining and the humidity was high.  Out I went to practice.  I did the banners in random order today.  Like yesterday, I was sloppy and wandering with my transitions on some of the stages.  The stages that seemed smooth were slow and the slow stages were actually beating the par time.  I don’t know what to think right now.  I might just do some training with the banners without the use of a timer.  My thoughts are I’m fast enough!  I need to focus on proper technique and sight picture. 

1.      Accelerator

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

5/23/18-Rain no practice

5/24/18-Rain no practice

5/25/18-Rain no practice

5/26/18-Rain no practice

5/27/18 Rain no practice

PCC Dry fire Schedule for the week of 5/27/18 -6/2/18

Weekly area of focus:  Steel Challenge Focus will be dry firing all eight stages focusing on fast transitions, calling shots and beating the par time while ensuring sight alignment.

1.      Accelerator

a.      2.58 Par Time

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

a.      2.65 Par Time Down from 2.80

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

a.      4.38 Par Time

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

a.      2.85 Par Time

5/28/18

Finally!  I was able to practice before the rain.  I actually went in a random order.  I started with Pendulum and I was able to successfully drop the par time to 2.65.  As expected, I was rusty and slow.  It’s been 5-6 days since I last practiced.  Without going into too much detail, I need to get back on the wagon and practice again.  The rain this past week has really put a damper on my training time. I lack of practice was evident today with my slow transitions and my lack of “Sight” (I wasn’t seeing the target fast enough).  I can always just look at my par times on Smoke & Hope to gauge where my training is. If I’m making the 2.06 par time, I’m doing good.  If I’m missing the 2.06 par time, I’m slow and rusty.  We’ll have to see how the weather cooperates this week.  Hopefully, the rain won’t interfere with my training.

On a side not, I also pulled out the USPSA PCC to work on reloads. I need to start cross training USPSA and SCSA.  I’m missing my live fire time.  If it doesn’t rain tomorrow, I want to get some live fire training in at the range.

1.      Accelerator

a.      2.58 Par Time

2.      Five to Go

a.      2.75 Par Time

3.      The Pendulum

a.      2.65 Par Time Down from 2.80

4.      Roundabout

a.      2.13 Par Time

5.      Outer Limits

a.      4.38 Par Time

6.      Smoke & Hope

a.      2.06 Par Time

7.      Showdown

a.      2.23 Par Time

8.      Speed Option

a.      2.85 Par Time

5/29/18-Daughter’s 8th grade graduation (No training)

5/30/18-I did a random sort of the stages today.  I started with Smoke & Hope.  I ran extra repetitions on this stage.  I initially tried to see if shooting it 4-5-1-2-stop was faster than 1-2-4-5-stop and it wasn’t.  This is the only stage that I cannot consistently make the par time on.  I’m always right at the par time or more times than not just over the par time.  This stage is frustrating me!  I also seem to be getting slightly faster on Outer Limits since switching to shooting it 1-2-4-5-stop.  After advancing to the second box, indexing on the larger plate seems faster than trying to index on the little plate.  I can consistently make the 4.38 par time unless I get loose and the dot bounces going from plate to plate.  Speed option is another iffy stage.  When I get indexed on #5 for my initial shot then sweep past 4, I can easily make the par time.  When I slow my transition from 5 to 4, I’m usually right at the par time.  All other stages seemed ok for the most part.  Once I can get back into consistent training (If the rain ever stops) I’ll feel more comfortable dropping the par times again.

5/31/18- Random order again on the stages.  Practice went as expected.  I did make some progress on Smoke & Hope today.  I made several of the par times.  I’m thinking I might drop the par time to push me faster. (I’m thinking 2.0 seconds).  I have several of the stages that i’m definitely going to drop the par time on (Showdown comes to mind). I’ll wait until next week to make the changes.  I want to see how the next few dry fire sessions go before I make my final determination on dropping the par times.

After practicing today, I decided to e-mail a GM whom I’ve shot with before.  I’ve known him for years and he is an excellent teacher and communicator.  I’m trying to make the jump from Master to GM.  I have utilized the training banners to dry fire and I went from B to master very quickly.  Unfortunately, my work schedule has not allowed me to shoot any of the local matches.  I was trying to find a better way to utilize his banners for training.  Here’s my email to him.

I'm looking to make the jump from Master to Grand Master in SCSA.  I'm currently at 89.12%  I have two stages that I'm over 100% on Roundabout & 5 To go, but I also have a couple of stages that seem to be my Achilles heel Pendulum 80.71% and Accelerator 81.41%.  I use the steel shoot banners to dry fire 5-6 days a week.  My par times in dry fire are 2.58 for Accelerator and 2.65 for Pendulum.  I can consistently make the par times in dry fire without any problems.  I dry fire all eight stages running 5-10 repetitions focusing on my fundamentals (seeing the plates faster, transitions and minimizing dot movement while meeting or beating the par time).  What can I do in my training with the banners to become more rounded on all of the stages?  More so, how can I better utilize the shoot steel banners to make the jump to Grandmaster?

Here is his response:

Mike:

A couple of things to consider ...

1.      focus on your weaknesses  .... if PEN & ACC are 10% below other stages you need to work on them.  I would stop trying to work on all the stages all the time.  the only time I dryfire all 8 stages in a single session is the week before a major when I just want to get in the rhyme of 'just shooting' & not training.

2.      What are your live fire times on these stages?  if they are significantly off from dry fire you're doing something wrong in dry fire

3.      You need to break down each stage and see where you are losing all your time.  Which transitions are causing you problems?  Do micro drills to address those specific issues.

4.      get more focused on specific problems and not just the entire stage as a whole.  I would suspect some parts of the stage you shoot well ...?

5.      I never work on more than 2 stages in one session ... at 5-6 sessions/week you will still see all 8 stages weekly which should be plenty

6.      focus on the quality of training sessions & not just quantity.  You should be learning something on every rep.  If you aren't then you're more focused on what you are doing then how you are doing it.  the goal of every training session is to learn something not simply complete whatever training you planned on

7.      Look at doing the 'Pyramids drill' , it's great for working on individual pieces of as stage and then putting it all together 

8.      Set specific par times for the individual transitions within the stage and work on exceeding them

9.      Do not treat or look at ACC & PEN any differently then any other stage at a match ... if you walk up to the stage thinking to yourself .... "hmmm, we're at my problem stage now"  you've already failed .... shot without expectations & just focus on the process of shooting, not any specific result ...

I’m now going to change the way I dry fire and train.  I will be revising my dry fire training plan effective immediately. 

6/1/18

Dry fire training to complete today.

1.      Accelerator

a.      .75 par time from low ready to plate #1

b.      .30 transition from plate #1 to plate #2 (1.05 par time)

c.       .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #5 (1.50 par time)

d.      .45 transition from plate #5 to plate #4 (1.95 par time)

e.      .45 transition from plate #4 to stop plate (2.40 par time)

I started off doing 5 repetitions from low ready to plate #1 with a .75 par time.  I added a .30 transition and did another 5 repetitions.  I continued to build up plate to plate until I managed to cover all the plates.  Initially, I stopped plate to plate.  I noticed that I was getting jerky with my movements, so I continued the transition to the next plate.  I ended up doing roughly 25 repetitions.  I wound up doing another set.  So, I ended up doing approximately 50 repetitions on this stage today.  Now to figure out the other stages.

6/2/18

1.      Smoke & Hope

a.      .60 par time from low ready to plate #1

b.      .22 transition from plate #1 to plate #2 (.82 par time)

c.       .40 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 (1.22 par time)

d.      .22 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 (1.44 par time)

e.      .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate (1.89 par time)

When I first started, I was sloppy with the first shot.  So, I did another 5 repetitions.  The first transition went smoothly and I didn’t have a problem keeping up with the par time.  The second transition (.40 from 2-3) went smoothly also.  I continued to keep on the par time.  The second small transition from plate 4 to 5 was also on par with the par time.  The last transition!  Oh, the last transition is where I’m losing my time.  The large rectangular plate transition back to the small round is where I’m losing valuable time on this stage.  I tried to break down the pyramid training by indexing on plate 5 and swinging to the stop plate with the par time at .45.  That idea failed miserably.  I think it failed because I was static (aiming at plate 5) During the run the gun is moving and I’m losing that momentum with the static transition.  I can definitely tell that working with pyramid drills allows me to see where my weakness falls on a stage.  I now know what to work on to better my time on smoke and hope.  I will continue to work off of 100% par times.  Anything less will be doing me an injustice under match circumstances.  Slowing down is never the answer.

6/3/18

1.      Outer Limits

2.      The Pendulum

Outer Limits

Pendulum

DRAW

TRANSITION 1

TRANSITION 2

TRANSITION 3

TRANSITION 4

TOTAL

PLATES 1-2

PLATES 1-2-3

PLATES 1-2-3-4

PLATES 1-2-3-4-STOP

100%

PER STRING

I worked on Outer limits first.  Training went smooth until I got to Transition # 4.  I was a little jumpy on the dot.  So I did another 5 repetitions.  I was consistently making the par time on the stage.  I just need to transfer this to match scenario.  I also decided to work on Pendulum.  I totally screwed the pooch on this one with my initial training, after doing my repetitions on my draw and first transition, I lost track and wasn’t counting the plates.  I went back and got it figured out and trained correctly on the stage.  The sheet above is my times and transitions for training. 

6/4/18

1.      Speed Option

a.      .75 par time from low ready to plate #5

b.      .38 transition from plate #1 to plate #4 1.10 par time (T1)

c.       .50 transition from plate #2 to plate #3 1.60 par time (T2)

d.      .50 transition from plate #4 to plate #1 2.10 par time (T3)

e.      .50 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.60 par time (T4)

As usual, 5 repetitions per string unless I need additional reps, or I determine I have a deficiency.  Only one stage to work on today, the draw was easy and relatively smooth.  The first transition was no problem either.  I started missing the par time on T2, so I ran another 5 repetitions and smoothed it out.  T3 also went smooth.  I had a few hiccups with the sight being low on the T4.  So I ran another 5 repetitions to clean it up.  The pyramid training is allowing me the opportunity to quickly see where I’m losing time on a stage.  I can immediately work on my deficiencies and correct them without wondering where I’m struggling. On this stage, I’m currently at 84.81% which is 4.31% below my overall average of 89.12%.  I will continue to work to improve my times on this stage.

6/5/18

I finally got out to practice!  I decided to take my son and practice some steel challenge stages.  I was a little disappointed to find out that Speed Option and Outer Limits were taken down and not available to practice.  I got to practice the other six stages.  I have some disconnect between live fire and training.  My times are slower in live fire than in training.  My ten year son hit the nail on the head when he said "In practice you're faster because your"e not afraid to miss and in live fire i'm slower because i take more time because I don't want to miss."  I was taken back when i realized he was correct.  I'll continue to work on my training in pyramid segments.  Next time I get a change to practice live fire on the actual stages, I'm going to take my sheet and work the pyramid on my trouble stages.  The voice in the background is my ten year old son who was shooting his 10/22.  Here's some of the video from today's practice.  **Might contain adult language**  I think I edited it out, but i might of missed a few choice words after some slow runs.

6/7/18

1.      Showdown

b.      .33 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.08 par time (T1)

c.       .35 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.43 par time (T2)

d.      .35 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.78 par time (T3)

e.      .35 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.13 par time (T4)

So the idea is to learn something every time you train.  Here’s what I learned today:  I’m faster in training than in live fire.  My son said it perfectly when he told me I’m afraid to miss in live fire.  I trained on this stage today and I completed the stage in 1.78 seconds.  Why is that?  I believe that I call my shots in dry fire.  In live fire, I’m working on learning to call my shots better.  If I can get it to click, I’ll be a GM in no time.  I probably need to drop all my times to reflect the 1.78 completion.  I’m not seeing any differences between the left and right side of showdown.

Probably something like this

1.      Showdown

a.      .50 par time from low ready to plate #1

b.      .32 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 .82 par time (T1)

c.       .32 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.14 par time (T2)

d.      .32 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.46 par time (T3)

e.      .32 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 1.78 par time (T4)

6/8/18

1.      5 to go

b.      .50 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.25 par time (T1)

c.       .50 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.75 par time (T2)

d.      .50 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 2.25 par time (T3)

e.      .50 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.75 par time (T4)

Pyramid training is really beginning to click.  I like the fact that I can quickly determine where my problem within the stage lies.  No issues tonight with the run.  I made all of the transitions and I felt as though I was slightly faster than the par time.  Again, my problem lies with live fire.  I’m planning on shooting a steel challenge match Sunday.  We’ll have to see how it goes.

Now to get ready for tomorrow’s USPS match.

I shot a USPSA match for the first time in a few months.  I ended up finishing 14th out of 58 and 4th in PCC.  I realized that I need a laser for my USPSA rifle. (check out stage 6). Today's match was fun and i missed shooting USPSA.   Here's my breakdown for the stages.

Stage
# % Stg Points Points HF Time A B C D M

Stage 1 Double Z 34 52.02 72.8254 113 3.9732 20.89 20 0 4 1 3
Stage 2 Start In 10 70.92 113.4697 150 5.0916 29.46 27 0 5 0 0
Stage 3 Table St 26 60.75 97.2078 147 3.9953 34.29 27 0 4 0 1
Stage 4 A Lot Go 6 82.67 99.1985 118 6.9658 16.94 23 0 1 0 0
Stage 5 Steeler 1 100 100 96 6.2951 15.25 18 0 2 0 0
Stage 6 Texas St 36 48.57 41.2856 85 2.288 37.15 17 0 0 0 0

Here's the ENTIRE video of the match

Stage 1 

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Shot a Steel Challenge match today.  I was an impromptu match.  We only had 13 shooters.  Sometimes I get so frustrated by my performance.  I had two stages that I improved upon and a couple that I totally tanked.  I often wonder why i have such a disconnect between my training and my live fire times.  I'm on the right path and I'll keep moving forward albeit, slower than i would like to.  I have some positives to take away from today.  I made improvements on two stages!  Here's some of today's stages.

Accelerator 10.65

Pendulum 12.33

now for the ugly!

6/11/18

1.      Showdown

Thoughts: I moved the gun really well.  I’m the best dry fire shooter in the world.  I don’t know why I had a 10.12 time on this stage Sunday.  My training is broken down by plate.  I need to find the disconnect between my training and my dry fire on this stage.

What I did well:  Dry fired the stage extremely well.

What I have to work on: Finding the disconnect between live fire and dry fire.

2.      Smoke & Hope

a.      .60 par time from low ready to plate #1

b.      .22 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 .82 par time (T1)

c.       .40 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.22 par time (T2)

d.      .22 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.44 par time (T3)

e.      .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 1.89 par time (T4)

Thoughts: I actually changed the way I’m shooting this stage.  My new way is 4-5-1-2-stop.  I’m thinking I can get the first shot off faster than .60.  I had some really close runs and I had some really crappy runs where I missed a plate.

What I did well:  transition from 4-5.  I was really on pace with the first two plates.

What I have to work on: my transition from 5-1 and from 2-stop. 

6/12/18

1.      Speed Option

b.      .38 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.13 par time (T1)

c.       .50 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.63 par time (T2)

d.      .50 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 2.13 par time (T3)

e.      .50 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.63 par time (T4)

Thoughts: Every time I try to live fire this stage, it’s unavailable.  It’s a fun and challenging little stage with all the small plates on this stage. 

What I did well:  Transitioned from plate 5 to plate 4

What I have to work on: my transition from plate 4 to plate 3.  The dot was bouncing.

2.      Roundabout

Thoughts: I’m currently at 108.56%.  So in my mind in thinking no big deal.  Well…I couldn’t be more wrong.  Instead of focusing on my training, in not taking it seriously.  What did mentality lead to? A 10.9 time on the stage. 

What I did well:  Transitioned the gun from target to target.

What I have to work on: Taking this stage for granted.  Focus on getting my hits and moving the gun fast to the next plate.

6/14/18

1.      Pendulum

b.      .40 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.15 par time (T1)

c.       .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.60 par time (T2)

d.      .45 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 2.05 par time (T3)

e.      .55 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.60 par time (T4)

Thoughts: Instead of doing 5 repetitions per string, I did ten.  This gave me a total of 50 repetitions.  I ordered a 12moa dot for my steel gun.  I hope it will help me get faster on my dot recognition and transitions from target to target.

What I did well: Working on my transitions and identifying my dot quickly.

What I have to work on: my placement of the dot on the target to ensure a hit.  I had a few instances where I actually called a miss on the target.  I need to ensure hits when I try to go fast.

6/16/18

Since it rained yesterday and I couldn't practice, I managed to get in two stages tonight.

1.      Accelerator

b.      .28 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.3 par time (T1)

c.       .45 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 1.48 par time (T2)

d.      .45 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 1.93 par time (T3)

e.      .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 2.38 par time (T4)

Thoughts: I had the entirely wrong par times set up in my dry fire app.  I totally screwed up my training on this stage tonight.  I still managed to run 10 repetitions on each plate for a total of 50 repetitions.  Now to focus on the correct times for my next dry fire session.  No comment on my screw up tonight.  At least I got in some reps.

2.      Outer Limits

a.      .80 par time from low ready to plate #1

b.      .35 transition from plate #1 to plate #3 1.15 par time (T1)

c.       2.05 transition from plate #2 to plate #4 3.20 par time (T2)

d.      .35 transition from plate #4 to plate #5 3.55 par time (T3)

e.      .45 transition from plate #5 to stop plate 4.0 par time (T4)

Thoughts: My first transition was good especially at .80 par time.  The .34 transition was easy when I decided to drive the gun to the second plate.  As I slow and deliberate tonight, my times suffered.  I really noticed a drop off in my time after the second transition, after running 10 repetitions per plate, I began to tire.  I also noticed that the dot was bouncing when I was entering the box and indexing to the target.  The last two plates were a bit of a challenge and I was over the par time of 4.0 seconds.  Doing 50 repetitions per stage is a bit much with the movement required in Outer Limits in the Florida heat.  I really need to work on this stage.  The pyramid training program allows me to quickly identify my weaknesses on a stage.  My weakness on outer limits is the second transition (T2) when I move from box to box.

On a side note, I switched to a 12moa dot from an 8moa dot.  Wow is that a huge dot.  It was easy to pick up.