Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm With Extended Basepad Or 170mm Magazine

Adam B

I am looking to buy some mags for my new open gun and I can't decide between 140mm with the extended Dawson basepad or 170mm mags. The 170mm mags are still very expensive and I have been told that you can squeeze 28 rounds out of a 140mm mags with a basepad extension.

boynty77,

1. you will need at least one 170mm and four 140mm mags for open (minimum)

2. you can't get 28 round in a 140mm 23-24 at the most. 170mm 28-29 with tweeking.

3. call brazo's custom and order the complete mags with grams eng. followers, springs and base pads. he will also number the mags for you. then go play.

lynn

I don't know anyone that can get 28 rounds out of a 140 with any of the production basepads. There are too many stages that are 25-28 rounds where you will want a 170mm mag plus it gives you added options when shooting a 30+ round field course. I can get a reliable 23-24 with a 140mm and a grams 11mm basepad.

on 38 super..

140 mm - 24 rds, arredondo base pads and follower

170mm - 28 rds, dawson pad, arredondo follower... and

+1 if you use supercomp/rimless brass...

best i've been able to do.. but then i don't load the mags to max except for the first mag... mag changes tend to be abusive with mags loaded to max.

Rgds,

I would recommened against buying 4 170's.

I think the ideal choice is 2 170's and 4 140's. Send the 170's off to Beven and he will turn them to where you can get 29 + 1. For the 140's I use arredondo basepads and grams follower and springs.

If you only get 4 mags I would go with 1 170 and 3 140's....which is what I am currently running now (although need to get more).

Yea doing say a classifier (6 rds Reload 6 rds) would not be as fun, fast or consistant with a 170mm as with a 140mm, without alot of extra, wasted, practice effort.

I would get at least 3 140mm's and 2 170's

If you only get 4 mags I would go with 1 170 and 3 140's....which is what I am currently running now (although need to get more).

That's what I started with and have been adding to the collection every other month or so. If you go to a steel match you may need 5 mags.

• 2 weeks later...

WHOOOOHOO!

4 170 mags. STOP!

You never change TO a 170. You start with a 170, and then go over to a 140 later in the longcourse.

Belive me, you'll regret changing to a 170 in a match. It's tough to insert when you're not able to have contact with the botton of the mag. And dropping a badly insertet 170, cost's ALOT.

The correct answer to this is: 1x170 and 3x140

:)

WHOOOOHOO!

4 170 mags. STOP!

You never change TO a 170. You start with a 170, and then go over to a 140 later in the longcourse.

Belive me, you'll regret changing to a 170 in a match. It's tough to insert when you're not able to have contact with the botton of the mag. And dropping a badly insertet 170, cost's ALOT.

The correct answer to this is: 1x170 and 3x140

:)

Maybe not 4 170 mags, but its good to have at least 2 on hand. Earlier this year i shot at the Sunflower Classic (non-sanctioned). There was a stage that was 4 'classic' targets at 15yards. It was a 48round stage w/ 24seconds. 12rounds each target. w/ 2 170mags i only had to reload once.

Also its very common to reload to a 'big stick'. At A3 this year, there were several stages where it was benificial to start w/ a short mag and reload to a long mag. Its all comes down to when you have the most time to make the reload. Sure it may take a couple hundredths more to reload to a long mag but if you can make it up later in the stage.

For my open gun I have 3 big sticks and 9 140mm. That way I don't have to clean mags all the time during a match.

I have 1 big stick and 5 140's for an open gun (that I don't even have yet.) I was only going to get another tuned big stick with the gun but you just gave me a good reason to get more :D

I have 2 170's and 2 140's and have had that count since I started shooting. When my GS origially talked with me about ordering mags, he said you need 1 170 and 2 140's to play the game. But buy an extra 170 incase one of the others crap out on you. That's all I've had for 3 1/2 years. I haven't needed any more.

If I could steer this thread a bit...

The original question was, "140mm With Extended Basepad Or 170mm Magazine, which mag is the better route to go?"

That is asking for discussion on making a big-stick.

Hopefully the message (that there are good reasons not to run ALL 170mm sticks) has gotten through.

When I shot on the Big Boys at an Area 6 once, I was surprised how many mags Todd Jarrett had with extensions. 121's with pads to make them 140, some other length tube plus a pad to make a 170.

Para seems to have more issues with stacking the 38Super and 38TJ than others. FWIW.

My old Caspian 170 had the original +1 "innie" pad to get 27 rounds/170mm. 100% reliable BUT I was particular loading and slapping the mag to stack it up right. Use a mag loader after 12 rounds & you'll have less problems with any doublestack.

PS - A long basepad with a follower that fits into it can cure some problems with the mag spring & keep it coiled up neatly instead of creased. But the basepad can cause some problems with cycling the first 2 or 3 rounds if the follower binds at all. Loading the extended mag, you may get a "bump" one one of the last few rounds to go in, BUT you may have less incidents of the *baby rattle.*

It all depends on the make & model of the gun & mags.

Edited by eric nielsen

Back on track! The 170mm magazines will be more reliable. When fully loaded the follower does not have to ride over the ridge at the bottom of the tube. Trying to get a 140mm mag to work with the Dawson "Just right" kit can be done. But you would be taking a $50 tube and adding a $50 kit to it making it almost as costly as a big stick. FWIW, I thought about building one and I couldn't find any open shooters who would endorse the idea. Having reliable magazines in Open is paramount!