Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to “upgrade” some gear

mattmann

Looking to upgrade my scope on my AR for multi gun. Right now it has the primary arms 1-8 on it which is okay for the money but I feel has a lot to be desired on high power magnification. Love the reticle and again for the money, is great but what’s the next step up? Maybe in the $1,000 and down category? I have a viper pst 1-4 which was cool but for 4-600 yds the 8 power seemed way better. Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are willing to go up a little to the $1200-$1400ish category your options open up a bit.

Burris XTR II 1-8x24 $1200+/-

Trijicon Accu-power 1-8x28 $1450+/-

If you look around a bit online you can find them both a bit cheaper. I just ordered the Trijicon for $1150 shipped with a throw lever.

17 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I'm really diggin my C-more C3 that I got for $800. I've looked through the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x, it was nice but I think 8x and maybe even 6x is overrated for 3 gun.

For the most matches you're right. A 1-4x is plenty for 200 or even 300 yards with quality glass on 10-12 inch gongs. Glass quality and reticle can overcome lack of magnification (to a point). I decided on the Trijicon because of the 1st focal plane, glass quality and l like the reticle. With the FFP I can dial it back when I don't need 8x and still have the hold overs line up. Then when I start pushing out to 400-500+ yards or smaller targets I can still go to 8x.

yeah, 6x is the new 4x.  vortex razor hd 1-6 is pretty nice, what i use, still somewhat above your $1k i think.  i shoot out to 600 with it, really no issues.  i moved up from a 1-4x a few years back as i couldn't see some targets that were shaded or obscured, plus getting older...  at your next match just ask everyone if you can check out their glass so you can make an informed decision, and if you want to skip restaurants and bars for a bit to afford something a little nicer.

2 hours ago, Brophy-J said:

Didnt know the accupower is up to 8x now, that's sweet!

I have shot with some of the Trijicon Pro Staff. Matt Koopikka, Nick Molina and Chip Montgomery were all running them at Blue Ridge. Don't know how long they have been running the 8x. Koopikka has a brief review on his YouTube channel.

1 hour ago, mattmann said:

What if I backed this down to 6x range? Does that change things??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With only some brief searching I haven't found much in the 1-6x in the sub $1000 range. You have the entry level (Primary Arms, Vortex Strike Eagle, etc.). You have the $1200+ (Trijicon, Vortex Razor, etc). There isn't much in between. There is the Vortex PST Gen 2 at the $650-$700 area but, I haven't looked through it myself.

I've got a little time behind the Razor and PST g2. I'm not much of a glass snob but the PST looked like 95% of the Razor to my eye. It's noticeably lighter and less expensive, I didn't like the reticle that much, slightly less than I like the JM reticle in the Razor. I don't think the extra money spent on the Razor will buy anyone a match placement bonus.

I snagged a used razor 1-6 on here with a larue Mount for $1150 which I thought was pretty good, I’ve seen a few others in that range.
It may not be a direct comparison to the PST 1-X but it really is much better picture than my viper PST 2.5x10 on my hunting rifle

The thing is a brick tho

I really like my AccuPower 1-8 as others have mentioned they can be had for ~$1200 if you are patient, the FFP and reticle are really nice IMHO as well not had any issues. 

https://i.imgur.com/TeV22WGh.jpg[/img]

https://i.imgur.com/EluK3xgh.jpg[/img]

(1x Magnification , not quite as big of an FOV as the Razor but close)

https://i.imgur.com/wEhAxxNh.jpg[/img]

(8X magnification , at this power the eyebox is relatively generous as well really easy to get into) 

Check out the Steiner 1-4. I know it is "only" a 1x4 but the combination of awesome Glass quality and reticle make longer shots pretty easy. Awesome quality and very reasonable price.

Magnification might not be as important as you think. If you can clearly see the target and the reticle isn't cluttered you might be surprised with the results.

• 7 months later...