Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So..  this started a few weeks ago.  I changed heads and the shellplate (one I've had for some time) on my 1050 and this happens about 3 times out of 10.  The ammo will not drop check completely in my hundo and makes the whole process a pain.  The ammo will shoot but I choose to only practice with it.  My practice bucket runneth over.

I did check my brass and they are NOT damaged before the reloading process.

It appears that something is pressing the brass against the shellplate at to great a force and damaging the brass.

Repairs tried:  

Cranked the swager out of the way.. I did not take it off completely (yet).  

I played with the primer setting and that is a "no go" immediately had primers surface.  

Ideas:  

Maybe replace the shellplate?  

Thanks wise ones..  

IMG_1863 2.jpg

Edited by sclagg

I'd say it's the toolhead cam or the casefeeder plunger roller. afaik, the casefeeder plunger is shoving the cases into the shellplate just forcefully enough that it's damaging the case rim every so often. Even though the ammo won't completely case gauge in the hundo, it's fine. You can replace the toolhead casefeeder cam with a couple different options that more gradually feed the cases into the shellplate, but you most likely also need to replace the casefeeder plunger roller as it's most likely worn.

Backup rod not adjusted properly at the swage station will do this.

Looks very likely that you have wrong size shell plate.  

Case inserter does not have a strong enough spring to mangle brass.  Don't think thats your problem.

7 hours ago, wide45 said:

Case inserter does not have a strong enough spring to mangle brass.  Don't think thats your problem.

I agree with that.  The only case insert issue that can damage rims is it they aren't fully inserting and then they advance while not being fully in the shellplate so that the next station button forces them in at an odd angle.  Can also be caused by debris in the shell plate not allowing them to fully seat.  But you'd probably notice that since it causes a big racket and sometimes cases fly out when that happens.

A damaged shellplate could cause it (for example crushed by a stray decapper pin), but you'd notice it most likely because the brass wouldn't freely enter and exit one station.  Check each shellplate station for easy insertion and removal, and take a little piece of wire or a dental pick and run it around the bottom of each case holder groove to clean it and check for burrs/damage.

Ok.. bypassed the case inserter.  Still had scarred brass so that isn't it. 

I have two 1050's... they both have a #5 shellplate on them and the pins are #3.

I'm thinking maybe the one I'm having issues with has a damaged plate.  

After some testing, it appears the primer area is where the scarring happens.

If I back off of it the primer is not deep enough... so not sure where to go from there.  

Thanks guys for the help and another reason I reload with Dillion (amazing customer service!).    I think I'm going to try another shellplate.  

Edited by sclagg