Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 arrived! First impressions

Nice and heavy! Got the strong mount,

Filling primer tubes suck. Frankford Arsenal on the way.

I do like being able to remove brass easily at each station.

Primer system works great so far.

Primer system needs a no case present feature! Primer Switch from Snowshooz will help.

So far I like the powder bar over the Lee disk system. Never could find the right hole with the Lee at times.

Press is smooth. Not tried 9 Major with full case, but does not "snap" like I see in some videos.

Lee case mouth flare is better than Dillon for the powder die. More of a gradual taper and holds bullet better than the Dillon. Dillon has a very short radius for the taper.

Got Lee Dies with nut on bottom of tool head. Going to load a couple hundred tonight. Really enjoy it so far!

case not present switch...

that is the ski-ramp/primer launcher. 

believe me, you will find it is a rare occasion that a case is not present.

I run lee dies also. 

you may want to consider the new lee auto-drum powder measure.

miranda

1 hour ago, Miranda said:

case not present switch...

that is the ski-ramp/primer launcher. 

believe me, you will find it is a rare occasion that a case is not present.

I run lee dies also. 

you may want to consider the new lee auto-drum powder measure.

miranda

Ihow does the Lee powder measure work on the 650? Haven’t seen that setup 

1 hour ago, usmc90 said:

Ihow does the Lee powder measure work on the 650? Haven’t seen that setup 

the same as it does in a lee turret.  The lee funnel of your choice, and I use a riser out of habit. 

the shell lifts the measure release.  

The auto drum has a lockout feature to prevent double charges.   I have never used that feature. 

I heard this little voice say "Good! sounds easy. What is a lee turret?"

If you have not used a lee turret,  the auto-drum fits into a lee powder funnel die in much the same way

as a Dillon powder measure fits into the Dillon funnels.

I used the 9mm Dillon funnel for my jacketed bullets. I modified a lee funnel for the 'fat' lead bullets.

thus the lee powder measure.

miranda

Edited by Miranda
realized I needed to add a bit more.

9 hours ago, Broncman said:

Primer system needs a no case present feature! Primer Switch from Snowshooz will help.

1. Run a few dozen cases through station one (size and deprime) and keep them in a box under the press. Toss one into station 2 in this situation, prime it, and keep loading... and all your stations will forever be full.

2. Or: Simply lift up the little silver primer rathchet arm with your finger while the shellplate heads upward on the next stroke. No tool needed. That primer will be inserted into the next case instead of flicked down the chute into nowhere.

I never, ever have a primer hit the ski jump. There’s no need for the various fixes out there.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

1. Run a few dozen cases through station one (size and deprime) and keep them in a box under the press. Toss one into station 2 in this situation, prime it, and keep loading... and all your stations will forever be full.

2. Or: Simply lift up the little silver primer rathchet arm with your finger while the shellplate heads upward on the next stroke. No tool needed. That primer will be inserted into the next case instead of flicked down the chute into nowhere.

I never, ever have a primer hit the ski jump. There’s no need for the various fixes out there.

I agree with all of the above and would add that the only time I have to do ANY of these things its because I wasn't watching station one and failed to notice a problem with either a missing case or one that failed to fully seat in the shellplate.

32 minutes ago, jhgtyre said:

I agree with all of the above and would add that the only time I have to do ANY of these things its because I wasn't watching station one and failed to notice a problem with either a missing case or one that failed to fully seat in the shellplate.

Or the case comes out of the sizing die with a torn mouth...

Or a .380 snuck in there when you’re loading 9, and you feel the sizing die glide right over it without resistance...

Or the casefeeder dropped an inverted one and you felt it too late, when it’s easier to pitch it back into the hopper than flip it over and stick it into station 1.

It happens. No big deal. Pitch the case. Place one of your box full of deprimed & resized brass on top of the waiting primer, seat it, and return to loading.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Or the case comes out of the sizing die with a torn mouth...

Or a .380 snuck in there when you’re loading 9, and you feel the sizing die glide right over it without resistance...

Or the casefeeder dropped an inverted one and you felt it too late, when it’s easier to pitch it back into the hopper than flip it over and stick it into station 1.

It happens. No big deal. Pitch the case. Place one of your box full of deprimed & resized brass on top of the waiting primer, seat it, and return to loading.

Definitely issues that can cause trouble and all things you would see if you were watching the machine properly.  I know all of those have happened to me and the only times they caused trouble were when I just wasn't as focused as I should have been.  Either way, I don't let any live primers take a ride down the ramp, they get snatched up and placed to the side where I add them to empty cases at the end of the run.

... I usually notice 380 cases at the powder check...

"gee that case looks over full" or BEEEEEEEeep!

siiigh.   

the spare cases I have.  Also, I have a few primered cases because I do not seem to notice easy sizing 380s.

miranda