Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR VS 1911 style extractor??

I had a freak malfunction with my AR claw extractor... the roll pin moved up out of place and the extractor came out... luckily I found the extractor... I'm not sure if the force exerted by the extractor collapsed the roll pin, or it was just not that tightly inserted... I cut a new pin, spread the lips slightly with a wood chisel and re inserted it... it is now my backup to a pistol extractor... I have not had any extraction problem with either... fired rounds evidently extracted without an extractor as evidenced where the extractor was found... now at about 7000 rounds

I think that it is an interesting question, one that gets discussed a lot on the pistol side of the board.   The 1911 style extractor has been given a reputation as being

one of the weak points of the 1911 design.  If you have a faulty, or incorrectly adjusted, extractor they can be a source of constant problems.  With that said, they are usually trouble free for many thousands of rounds one adjusted correctly.  Several attempts have been made to replace the 1911 extractors with newer designs, most revert back to the usually 1911 design( see Kimber) once they realized the old design is better.  

I personally think that the AR claw extractors are more robust, and should present fewer problems but, as Les mentioned above, there can be problems with either design.  Just as in my pistols, my JP GMR has the "weaker" pistol style extractor and has not experienced any problems at all.  For JP to choose to use a pistol extractor, after using the claw type for years, makes you believe that there are advantages to the design.  I think that either are good enough for their purpose.

Edited by L9X25

One final point, our guns are not really hard on an extractor and some have claimed that the extractor does little more than add some consistency to the feeding and ejection.  The "extraction" part of it's job is what is usually the hardest part on most other types of designs, but with a "blow-back" design the difficult part of the extraction is handled by the residual pressure in the barrel.  It literally pushes the case out of the chamber, making the extractors job much less difficult.

I have both styles...JP, QC10, and Taccom bolts. While the AR style looks like it would be more robust and “better”....I am with L9X25....I don’t think PCC extractors get a lot of stress.

Both styles have worked perfect for me. For me, I choose bolts with good machining and finish. My favorite being JP’s QPQ finish....super easy to clean. Followed by Taccom’s nickel boron finish.

The stress isn't during extraction. It's during feeding, where the extractor has to snap over the case rim. Most pistols if you load from the mag the case slide up the breach face under the extractor. So because of this I much prefer the AR style extractor over the 1911 style on 9mm bolts.

*disclaimer I have a JP, KAW Valley, and Spinta "1911" style extractor bolts. only issue I had was the Kaw valley the extractor wasn't centered due to a burr in the roll pin hole that holds the extractor in place. 

12 minutes ago, Marshal82 said:

The stress isn't during extraction. It's during feeding, where the extractor has to snap over the case rim. Most pistols if you load from the mag the case slide up the breach face under the extractor.

Bingo. Look up why people advise against dropping a bullet into a pistol chamber and then drop the slide.

I'm not saying that there are issues with the pistol style extractor in a PCC, but I feel better with an AR style extractor that was designed to snap over the rim.

While JP has seemed to nailed the tension issue on their bolts (extractor snapping over the rim).......others haven't and tension can be lost pretty fast. On the other hand......with the 223 extractor, even though it is by design, made to snap over the rim......some have way too much tension and most of the time due to the use of the rubber o-ring.

I am of course, a huge fan of the 223 extractor (like the one used on our TACCOM bolt).......but if you are dead set on getting one with a 1911 style, then JP is the way to go.

Tim

PS......plus one on what Marshal82 said

Edited by TRUBL