Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38spl/Titegroup IDPA Starting Loads

Richie

Looking at getting some Blue Bullets 147gr Rn to use for IDPA with Titegroup, any starting loads advice (OAL and powder charge)? Any help would appreciated!  (I did try to search for this information, or anything similar and really did not find much).

On 10/28/2017 at 5:58 PM, Richie said:

Looking at getting some Blue Bullets 147gr Rn to use for IDPA with Titegroup, any starting loads advice (OAL and powder charge)? Any help would appreciated!  (I did try to search for this information, or anything similar and really did not find much).

Hey Richie,

I did a bunch of experimenting with Titegroup and Eggleston Munitions 148gr bullets. Out of my 5" 627, 4.1 grains turned in a 129 power factor. Obviously that's more than enough speed to make 105 even out of a 4" barrel. I don't have an OAL for you because the EM's have a cannelure, so I just crimped to length. Sorry about that!

Also, FWIW, I greatly prefer the recoil of a 158gr SNS bullet over 3.8gr of Titegroup (makes a 133 out of the same gun). I dialed that load as low as 3.5gr and was still making power for USPSA (129) so you should be fine there. It got a little dirty when it was that low, though.

Edited by matteekay

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information! I thought of atarting at 3.2 from what I found on their website, I definitely do not want to be so low it will not work on steel targets. 

13 hours ago, matteekay said:

Thinking about it now, and IDPA's power floor is so low that you could probably make some great mouse fart loads with a 147 or 158 and some Trail Boss.

u are talking pretty light loads in a fairly large case with a low volume powder, I know TG isnt as case volume sensitive as alot of powders, but I would suspect your SD would be pretty high,  Save the TG for other applications and look for a powder that will fill the case more. Clays, WST,  or old reliable HP38...