Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these 9mm Cases safe to reload?

otis_bartleh

I have a whole bunch of cases that I found have a 'ledge' around the base of the case after cleaning, and I have not been using them, just putting them aside.  They do pass the 'paper clip' test on the inside of the case, but wasn't sure if they're ok or not...  That coffee can is about 1/2 to 3/4 full at this point, so it's time I do something with it.  Range brass...  They are tumbled, but I have not sized/deprimed them yet.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but definitely don't want case head separation, and try to be as careful / picky as I can be.  I also don't want to throw away pounds of brass if it's good.  I reload for a G19 and G17...  Thanks in advance.

2017-10-23 21.34.16.jpg

2017-10-23 21.34.37.jpg

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If the ledge is just on the outside, I'd pass a few thru the sizer and see if you can get rid of it.

If they have a ledge on the inside, I'd use them for light loads, but not real hot loads   :) 

Cool, I'll run them through the sizer tonight.  I'm checking all these with a pick ('paperclip test'), and all I was checking last night had no ledge on the inside, just the outer.

So if they run through the sizer and still have this mark on the bottom, would you still load them?  The mark there is so minute on some of them you can barely see it, but this isn't something I want to walk the fine line on, I prefer safety.  :)

27 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

What's on the head stamp?  What is the diameter of the ledge?

It's probably assorted brass, multiple headstamps, I'll confirm and update when I get home as to that and the ledge diameter, I haven't checked that.

Edited by otis_bartleh

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Looks like they were fired from a breach that wasn't fully closed - SMG?

Honestly not sure what they were fired from, a lot of my brass was from the public range shooters.  I saved a lot of brass before I started reloading, but once I did start, I took all brass people were willing to give up...  Figured I'd take it and inspect it at home :) 

9 mm is a hi pressure round, with pressures in the 33,000 psi range.  If you have any doubt chuck them.  If shot in an unsupported chamber you might have problems.  Find out what headstamp they and take it from there.

Just now, GrumpyOne said:

In the grand scheme of things, what is 100-200-300 cases? If you are at all worried about reloading them, scrap them. Brass is cheap.

I absolutely agree with that, any case that worries me gets tossed right away.  But that's also the reason for the post, I'm not worried about these, but they didn't pass my "perfect" test, so I put them aside for a rainy day to see if I should be worried...  Since I temporarily ran out of clean "perfect" cases, I figure today is that day. haha 

2 minutes ago, rooster said:

9 mm is a hi pressure round, with pressures in the 33,000 psi range.  If you have any doubt chuck them.  If shot in an unsupported chamber you might have problems.  Find out what headstamp they and take it from there.

Right on, yeah, I'll check headstamps tonight when I get home...

Oh, forgot, these cases don't have that mark all the way around the case either, just about 1/4 to not even 1/2 way around...

2 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

They were shot in a gun with an unsupported chamber...do a search for "glock bulge"

This partial ring isn't as pronounced as the "Glock Bulge" pics I've seen, and the "bulge" appears to be different than what I am seeing on these cases in question.  I thought that was a .40 issue more-so than 9mm?  Too add, the brass that only I have fired, through a stock Glock barrel, does not have this little partial ring or a bulge either.  Strange?  I'll have to do more checking on that I guess.  I do like to understand all aspects of what I do.

But yeah, plan tonight is to check headstamps and run some through the sizing die to see what they look like after, and will report back.

Again, thank you guys for the assistance and quick responses.  This is a great community that has been of a huge reference for me, even though I haven't posted much.

In the grand scheme of things, what is 100-200-300 cases? If you are at all worried about reloading them, scrap them. Brass is cheap.

I’m a brass hoar as well. Blows my mind to see the waste when on the range, but GrumpyOne’s right - there’s lots of it and saving a couple of ¢’s vs the cost of a new firearm and more importantly your safety and those of your fellow shooters, it’s not worth it.

Keep filling that bucket, sell it for scrap and use the cash for other reloading components.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Want2BS8ed said:

Keep filling that bucket, sell it for scrap and use the cash for other reloading components.

Great idea, I may not get much for em, but I'll feel better about that than throwing them away!

So...  They are assorted headstamps, WIN, WIN NT, NATO, SPEER, PMC, R-P, FC, BLAZER, GFL, etc.  MOST were fired out of a Glock, can tell from the firing pin mark, but there were some others in there with the same mark.  The partial "ring" I am seeing is almost indistinguishable in size, I can barely get the mic to register a difference on it vs right in front of it, barely the small "5" after the thousanth of an inch.  They were about .384-.384(5) at the base, and all still fit in a chamber drop with no problem.  I can barely even feel it with my fingernail.

Honestly, I think most these are fine, but think I'll just recycle them anyway.  This is the can for the questionables, so as soon as I saw the "ring", they went in this bucket for further inspection later.  On further inspection of some last night, most looked good, but I did find a few that were showing signs of having been hot loads, so those were chucked.  As there wasn't an overwhelming majority immediately saying "yup, those are fine" to the ones in the pics I posted, that was pretty much my answer right there, since I was already on the fence about them.  I care much more about safety than saving some brass.  It makes me nervous for some when I see posts from people saying they only inspect by rattling shells checking for splits and keep on loading till it splits, I could never be that care-free reloading ammunition!

Thanks again to everyone for the input...