Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Rifle Questions.

Lycanthrope

I'm looking to buy a flat top rifle for USPSA 3 gun Limited and maybe Tactical divisions.

I know that sight radius will matter for Limited and that the longer guns shoot softer, but is anyone using globe sights or other clamp on sights mounted out to the muzzle? I'm leary of anything puttining pressure on the barrel, but this would give max distance between the rear and front...

and...

If I decide on just using the gas block as the mounting position for the front sight on a Limited gun is there any advantage to having the 20" over the 18" since the gas system is the same? Does the 18 swing that much better?

Thanks for any opinions in advance.

I have a globe front sight mounted at the muzzle (now at the muzzle brake) of a 20" bbl. It doesn't put pressure on the barrel (like a non-floating handguard, bipod, or sling) unless you rest it against something. It probably changes the harmonics of the barrel in some way but you are going to sight-in after mounting it anyway.

JP rifles and Browells sells a Palma style aperture sight for rear and bloop tube type front mount site. It OK for limited. They are not cheap.

You could use a national match rear, and forward mounted front site to get your radius up and keep the price down.

Lycanthrope,

The only real difference between the 18" and 20" is the 18" has little slower velocity (but not enough of a loss to make a difference) and it's close quarters manuverability is a little better. The barrel contour has more to do with how well the rifle swings, not the extra two inches. I prefer the shorter barrel, I think it balances better and is a bit more manuverable, but I'm in the minority. Most guys like the longer 20" barrels.

Erik

Longer Barrel = More Sight Radius = Good.

My Limited AR is much like Eric's with the front sight mounted at the end of the barrel just behind the comp. Although I have not gone to the globe front sight, yet (still playing). At that rifle shoots GOOD!

Don't worry about "pressure on the barrel" since the barrel vibrates consistently every time with the sight on it. It's a constant. If you don't believe me, go look at all the bloop tubes and extended front sights that Highpower shooters in the match rifle division where accuracy is PARAMOUNT.

I can hardly even shoot an iron sighted CAR with its abbreviated sight radius!

OK. So what would be a good clamp on style front sight (for mounting out by the comp). I have White Oak CMP gun so I'm comfortable with the NM style from sight. If all else I was going to mount one to the gas block.

Are there any decent flip up models or are those strictly for back up?

Do a search on, um, Lipski, and you should find a thread with a bunch of mount suggestions. Note there are one-piece mounts like the Accuracy Speaks I have that slip on over a plain muzzle. And there are two-piece mounts that you can attach without removing your muzzle brake.

Anyway, I think the Lipski mount is the one that has the elevation adjustment wheel, which looks like the hot ticket for easy zeroing.

FYI the Lipski is steel and while adjustable for initial placement does not use an elevation wheel.

The Schuster aluminum front sight base DOES have the wheel so field adjustments can be had. It is also equiped with lock screws to prevent movement once set.

I went with the Lipski for the steel and non adjustability. Set it and forget it.

I am just starting to take advantage of the longer sight radius, as old age IS

catching up me.

Brownells has both units.

PK

Longer Barrel = More Sight Radius = Good.

Lycanthrope,

Sorry, I thought you were using the gas block as your front sight mounting platform. If you going to use the globe style attachments on your barrel then Kelly, Eric, & Pat are the experts.

Erik

That right there is your meal ticket.

I found my zero and had BrianH make me a spacer between the mount and the riser. Now it can't be slammed into a prop and collapsed. Note I did this only after having the rifle fall out of my safe onto the globe, collapsing the riser all the way down to the mount. (I dented the globe but it doesn't affect the sight picture. At least I know the setup is strong enough to bash against props.)

post-645-1120772169_thumb.jpg

Bushmaster also sells a clamp-on front sight that is made by YHM. It is designed to clamp over the standard, sightless gas block, but can be mounted out to the end of the barrel. Mine is the folding model.

post-1793-1120779374_thumb.jpg

Problems with this system while great for long distance shots it is terrible for short and fast. Plus most rear sights don't have a small aperture that is right for globe front site. A bunch of people make rear sights with different aperture sizes.

My problem was that small aperture wasn't small enough to sharpen the front sight. The large was just too large for me to get a good center on.

So I bought a merit adjustable disc and installed in my large aperture. No mods to sight itself. Now I can have any size I want and all the way open is perfect for short and fast shots. Plus if stage has long shots and maybe weird lighting I can adjust my aperture before I start.

Try others before you buy.

Problems with this system while great for long distance shots it is terrible for short and fast

I beg to differ. It absolutely rocks for close targets. But it doesn't provide me a big advantage with long targets.

Erik is right. I have a similar setup on my spare AR. For short stuff I use the large rear aperture and pretty much just shoot the globe with both eyes open, it's faaasst!!

Erik won a close range rifle stage out here a while back with his setup. It was a Prez at 10 yards done Mozambique style and he rocked the house against all comers with that front globe.

So would the 20 MJT, the 20 LJT or the 93 from Lyman be the best Globe? It appears that 93 is a bit shorter than the 20 models and the only difference between the 20 MJT and 20 LJT is heigth. All are same aperature.

I'm assuming a standard NM style rear mounted to the receiver rail is the hot rear setup for Limited or Tactical?

Depends on what you mean by NM. A2 style rear sight is the ticket, with flippable small and large apertures.

Match rifle highpower sight: bad. "NM" hood aperture for service rifle sight: bad. Selectable small or large: good.

That's what I meant. Either the YHM or the DPMS stand alone A2 style sight (non carry handle).

I've just ordered a Clark Gator with a .720 OD barrel so I think that limits me to the Schuster base for the front sight. The Lipski doesn't list a barrel diameter that small.

It appears I'll have a close copy to the rifle stingerjg posted.

• 8 months later...
That's what I meant. Either the YHM or the DPMS stand alone A2 style sight (non carry handle).

I've just ordered a Clark Gator with a .720 OD barrel so I think that limits me to the Schuster base for the front sight. The Lipski doesn't list a barrel diameter that small.

So if you have a Gator and the DPMS A2 rear sight what front sight works on the JP adjustable gas block?

Alternately would a BUIS Arms 40L rear flip up sight work with the same front sight on the gas block?

Edited by cabdmd