Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case lube leaving moisture

1 hour ago, GregInAtl said:

Are you saying you use this by itself or mix it with lanolin, etc.

It has to be mixed with lanolin. The strong alcohol evaporated almost instantly leaving a thin film of lanolin as the lube

2 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

You mix Lanolin with 99% alcohol between 12:1 and 6:1. I think I use 8:1. Heat is cheap 99% alcohol that is found in most big box retailers. The alcohol is an emulsifier with a very low flash point so it vaporizes quickly leaving the lanolin. It is extremely flammable so use some caution. Further, like One-Shot, the alcohol is only used to transport the lubricant so it needs to evaporate before you size the case otherwise it will reduce lubricity (see One-Shot stuck case complaints).  

2 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

You mix Lanolin with 99% alcohol between 12:1 and 6:1. I think I use 8:1. Heat is cheap 99% alcohol that is found in most big box retailers. The alcohol is an emulsifier with a very low flash point so it vaporizes quickly leaving the lanolin. It is extremely flammable so use some caution. Further, like One-Shot, the alcohol is only used to transport the lubricant so it needs to evaporate before you size the case otherwise it will reduce lubricity (see One-Shot stuck case complaints).  

Mix it with the lanolin.

I also bought a clear plastic spray bottle that had the graduated tick marks.

Like somebody  else said above , I think it was a 10 to 1 ratio.

But just now doing a quick google search for "homemade case lube" it appears alot of people are dumping the whole 12 ounces of HEET and then the whole 4 ounce container of lanolin...mixed together in one container or spray bottle.

I use a shallow aluminum baking pan for my rifle brass.  Spray one side of the brass.  let dry for 10 minutes.  then tip the pan so all tbe brass rolls to the other end of the pan.  squirt it again.  wait 10 minutes.  dump into casefeeder.

EDIT:  I took a closer look at a bottle of HEET I had around.  It is actually 12 ounces.  Don't know about you guys, but the font keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Edited by Chills1994

When you lube cases inside a bag, you are going to get lube inside the case mouth.  Not good unless it is rifle rounds, but not necessary bad although it could be.  You need to have cases laying flat for spray on lube, and if a type A personality, the align the cases so the case mouths are all point in one direction before spraying so you can spray from the base of the case toward the mouth.  I've used Hornady One Shot for years and never a problem when laying the cases flat.

On 10/21/2017 at 8:05 AM, GregInAtl said:

If you don't use lanolin and you don't use One Shot, then what do you use?

:) I guess you have to follow the logic of my statement. What's left is lanolin for forming rifle brass and One Shot for straight wall pistol.

I've had that problem, then the powder sticks to the side of the cases.

That’s definitely a sign of using excess lubricant. It really on takes just a whiff to get the job done. Again, suggest you try just a couple of light spritzes.

As for not using a plastic bag for pistol rounds, I disagree. If, for arguments sake, there were appreciable lubricant entering the case mouth would it not serve the same purpose if using an expander die or for belling the case mouth?

If there is enough lubricant entering the case to wreak havoc then too much is being applied.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the homemade Dillon style spray.

I shoot a couple pumps from the spray bottle into a plastic container from Chinese soup take out.  Then dump brass and shake it all around and let it sit for about 5-10 mins before throwing into the case feeder.

I had one issue awhile back where I sprayed the lube directly into the container with the brass already in it.  I had a semi squib during a match (joy).  The bullet left the barrel however it only went about 5 feet.  I'm thinking an excessive amount of wet lube was present in the case and it caused the power to clump together and not go off properly.

Too much lube. I use a plastic bin, dump in 100 cases, maybe half second of spray, tumble around a little, lay cases on their sides again, and maybe another half second of spray.

If you're using carbide dies you don't need case lube on pistol cases. Its simply to make sizing just a little bit easier. You don't need very much.