Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scale grips in a dusty environment?

EDA

So I've just jumped on the Stock 2 train and am starting to work on modifying it.

I'm very interested in the Scale grips (whether it's 1.0 vs. 2.0), but shooting outdoors here in Albuquerque, we get plenty of dust and wind and I'm concerned about getting particles into the grip and causing malfunctions.  I'm not too keen on having to keep a cover over it all the time either.

Anyone experience issues in a similar outdoor environment with these grips?  Ultimately, if it's too "risky", I'm pretty happy with the factory wood grips.

Thanks!

The range in south Utah for this year's national is pretty dusty.  I used and saw dozen's scale grips, but did not have or hear any malfunctions due to dust. 

In fact, for people who use Pro Grip or other grip lotion/powder, there are much more particles from those than from the natural environment.  I have not heard anyone using scale grips having issues with grip lotion/powder. 

I have not experienced any problems with the scales grips causing malfunctions due to debris, and my practice range is pretty dusty!

I also use tons of pro grip with no issues.

However, I have since changed to PD grips and prefer them better. 

Also like my PD grips (and the price) but will try scales one of these days.

Anyway, been dropping my Stock 2 mags in the dust for a couple weeks now and not doing anything besides maybe giving them a quick wipe on my pants before using them over again. All that dust on the mags has caused zero issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some Scale 2.0's.  I can feel what the hype is about.  Slimmer design allows me to drop mags faster and the grip pattern is surprisingly comfortable and stable!  Can't wait to give them a run!

23 hours ago, kwelhand said:

Can you post some pic of your gun w/ grip?

IMG_2376.JPG.98839dfe99c8bc0fd552b3a21391c5f1.JPGIMG_2378.JPG.9acc4dba543233d4c8d4e865f30083cb.JPG

Note: I cerakoted mine with a gritty black texture after hand-checkering the front and rear edges for additional traction. I still have this pair on my shelf and should really get around to selling them... 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

16 hours ago, EDA said:

Just took it out to the range today and they feel great!  Perfect size, good grip, but doesn't "bite".  Despite the sand and dust storms, not signs of "contamination"!

Get some thin high quality skateboard tape. You can buy it off the web.

Clean the grips with alcohol. Stick a thin strip of grip tape down the smooth front and back edges of the scales. Heat it with a hair dryer and the glue will really lock in once it cools.

The only problem with the scales is the “corners” of the grip are where you most easily apply pressure, and they’re smooth on the ends.