Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which glock model?

gpp

Which Glock model to upgrade?

Will probably only shoot steel and possibly double as 3gun pcc pistol so I can reduce what all goes on my belt. So I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to configure it but I might just set it up for carry optics because that sounds fun. Either way I will use a dot... Just haven't decided on slide ride or frame mount and comp. Really after typing this out it sounds like I'm just looking for a reason to toy with one but that's besides the point... 

Load will be tuned for the pcc over the pistol if that matters? I'm not familiar with shooting a Glock but from what I gather it's a choice between g19 and g34? What's your favorite? 

Edited by gpp

The G34 or G17 (G17L would also work, but harder to come by) with a slide mounted dot (carry optics). A frame mount would put you into Open for USPSA.  Understand that if your PPC is near the minor floor, it will be sub minor in the pistol***. Steel Challenge has no power floor, but for USPSA/IDPA the floor is 120. My load is a 124 TC Bayou over 3.4 grains of TG at 1.100" and it goes about 1,040 fps out of a G17 with a BarSto barrel. My 17" JRC carbine will make minor with only 3.0 grains of TG, but drops to about 950 fps in the G17. 

*** 3 gun competitions do not have a power floor (except for Heavy Metal Division .44 cal minimum)

Edited by 9x45

14 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

The G34 or G17 (G17L would also work, but harder to come by) with a slide mounted dot (carry optics). A frame mount would put you into Open for USPSA.  Understand that if your PPC is near the minor floor, it will be sub minor in the pistol***. Steel Challenge has no power floor, but for USPSA/IDPA the floor is 120. My load is a 124 TC Bayou over 3.4 grains of TG at 1.100" and it goes about 1,040 fps out of a G17 with a BarSto barrel. My 17" JRC carbine will make minor with only 3.0 grains of TG, but drops to about 950 fps in the G17. 

*** 3 gun competitions do not have a power floor (except for Heavy Metal Division .44 cal minimum)

Power factor floor for USPSA is 125.  G17L is not approved for Carry Optics...  
If you want to use it for competition...I would go with the G34...and if you want to use the frame to put in something like a Mech Tech...the 34 frame would work.  I don't know of any mahufacturere making a rifle for the G19 frame.

Edited by racerba

I have two gen 4 x  34's ...The Glock adaptor plate that fits into the rear sight slot is fine (It match's the curve of the slide, very stabile). I also have the MOS version, it's set up for C.Optics from the get go. . Consider the Vortex Venom w/6 MOA dot.  Use the 15% deal @ Jet.com and you will be at $200 for the dot. If your used to a 1911/2011, it takes a bit to get used to the grip angle change as the dot will generally be higher... Don't worry, you will get used to it.

Edited by mike NM

8 minutes ago, racerba said:

Power factor floor for USPSA is 125.  G17L is not approved for Carry Optics...  
If you want to use it for competition...I would go with the G34...and if you want to use the frame to put in something like a Mech Tech...the 34 frame would work.  I don't know of any mahufacturere making a rifle for the G19 frame.

I like the AR frame based PCC with the glock mags.  That's what put the idea of trying a glock out in my head.

22 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

The G34 or G17 (G17L would also work, but harder to come by) with a slide mounted dot (carry optics).

So, assuming either is equally easy to get... if I am just stripping the frame and using replacement trigger/slide/etc components would one be preferred over the other?  Just looked at the dimensions on the Glock website and they look pretty similar but the 17 is apparently "Gen 5" and the 34 is "Gen 4"

11 minutes ago, mike NM said:

If your used to a 1911/2011, it takes a bit to get used to the grip angle change as the dot will generally be higher... Don't worry, you will get used to it.

I was curious about that.  Thanks

13 minutes ago, gpp said:

So, assuming either is equally easy to get... if I am just stripping the frame and using replacement trigger/slide/etc components would one be preferred over the other?  Just looked at the dimensions on the Glock website and they look pretty similar but the 17 is apparently "Gen 5" and the 34 is "Gen 4"

the 17L, 17 and 34 uses the same frame...the difference between the three is the length of the upper assembly (basically the slide and barrel)

there is a gen 3, 4 and 5 of the 17 and 34...not sure about the 17L.

Edited by racerba

racer, yea I meant 125..... And yes, G17L is not approved for CO, but is ok for Open, Limited or L10, and it doesn't matter at all for 3 gun.

gpp, you need to get to your nearest 3 gun match and see how things work. You are all hung up on gear and you haven't even shot a match yet. While some guys use a PCC for USPSA, most 3 guns have shots much longer than 100 yards. To be honest, you will be better off to start with an action pistol match, even if it's local. There is allot more going on in a 3 gun, than just the pistol, rifle and shotgun.  And while dots may look really cool, they take serious discipline to draw to.

45 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

racer, yea I meant 125..... And yes, G17L is not approved for CO, but is ok for Open, Limited or L10, and it doesn't matter at all for 3 gun.

gpp, you need to get to your nearest 3 gun match and see how things work. You are all hung up on gear and you haven't even shot a match yet. While some guys use a PCC for USPSA, most 3 guns have shots much longer than 100 yards. To be honest, you will be better off to start with an action pistol match, even if it's local. There is allot more going on in a 3 gun, than just the pistol, rifle and shotgun.  And while dots may look really cool, they take serious discipline to draw to.

I'm not looking for my first match gear or my first gun with optics.  I just haven't spent any time with Glocks. I was really just looking for something along the lines of the g17 is my favorite because you don't need the extra sight radius of the g34... Or whatever. Instead of buying three different 9mm configurations at once to see which one I like

3 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Then the G17 is the ticket, of course, I only have 6 of them....

I'm with 9x45 on this. I've got  3 or 4 of them and just had one milled for a Venom 6 MOA. A lot of fun but you might have to get used to the grip angle if you are used to 1911's. I shot 1911's for a long time and all my Glocks have grip reductions so they point like 1911'1s. I just didn't feel like re-learning the presentation and also sometimes shot a 45 1911 and a G17 at the same IDPA match. (Too much work swapping kit during stages.)

The dots are great. Get one, practice, and you will probably learn everything you need to learn. Advice you get at these forums is generally really good.

There's no real advantage to a 17L or 34 if you are running an optic.  With that said the 17L I just picked up has the sweetest trigger I've seen Glock let out the door yet, so that may be an advantage?  I'm really liking the minus connector in the 17L over the Ghost Ultimate in my 34 MOS.  I'd just grab a Gen4 or Gen5 G17, mill it, bolt on a Leupold DPP and call it a day.