Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate locking open.

Chalk

I recently made two changes to my Czechmate. Switched to brass grips (this shouldnt matter) Changed to the straight pin slide stop.

After about 50 rounds with the new slide stop the gun jammed open and wouldnt feed. The slide felt like it had zero spring pressure. The slide would not return to battery even without a mag and being clear. The slide stop was difficult to press out, once it popped out the spring pressure returned and the slide worked again. I tried a second slide stop (straight pin style again) the problem persisted.

Switched back to a regular slide stop and the gun seemed to run fine for 150 rounds then I was out of ammo.

Any ideas why the slide would jam up like that. I cant see any mechanical difference between the slide stop types. I even checked them and they are exact same size.

I usually oil the pin/slide stop so there is lube in the link to pin interface. I would pull the barrel out and see if it is rubbing inside the link area, there should be corresponding marks on the pin as well. On mine it seems the pin wears more than the slide stop which means the pin could be a tad larger in diameter, it wouldn't take much maybe .001" or .002" before it doesn't clear inside the link properly when linking up into battery or down on ejection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The straight pins are provided to use IF your regular slide stop breaks. At least that is what I was told. Why do you want to use a straight pin over the actual slide stop? It would be a lot more difficult field stripping it, as you would have to push the pin out with a rod instead of using your fingers. I would just use the regular slide stop - no issues!

On 9/20/2017 at 8:11 AM, abb1 said:

The straight pins are provided to use IF your regular slide stop breaks. At least that is what I was told. Why do you want to use a straight pin over the actual slide stop? It would be a lot more difficult field stripping it, as you would have to push the pin out with a rod instead of using your fingers. I would just use the regular slide stop - no issues!

The reason people use them is with an open gun you generally don't need your slide to lock back and the cost of a pin vs the slide stop is about $20-25 difference. 

This part in a Czechmate is known to break around 5-6k rds or so so it Dave's some money on a "consumable" part.

2 hours ago, Honkeymcgee said:

The reason people use them is with an open gun you generally don't need your slide to lock back and the cost of a pin vs the slide stop is about $20-25 difference. 

This part in a Czechmate is known to break around 5-6k rds or so so it Dave's some money on a "consumable" part.

The cost factor ($20-$25) is nothing as we spend more on ammo in an afternoon of practice, let alone the $2-5K guns we shoot. Hell, I spend more than that when I go out for lunch. My Czechmate has had over 10K rds through it and still has the original slide stop and barrel. All parts will break if they are not maintained. Guns must be cleaned and oiled/greased after every use.  There is those that disagree with me, but those are the ones that have problems. The cleaning not so essential but the lubrication, absolutely! I always make sure that my slide stop pin is well greased as well as the inside of the barrel lug. This will help, my gun is the evidence! Last year, I did buy a spare slide stop, however, it will probably never be used. 

Edited by abb1

On 9/25/2017 at 6:14 PM, abb1 said:

The cost factor ($20-$25) is nothing as we spend more on ammo in an afternoon of practice, let alone the $2-5K guns we shoot. Hell, I spend more than that when I go out for lunch. My Czechmate has had over 10K rds through it and still has the original slide stop and barrel. All parts will break if they are not maintained. Guns must be cleaned and oiled/greased after every use.  There is those that disagree with me, but those are the ones that have problems. The cleaning not so essential but the lubrication, absolutely! I always make sure that my slide stop pin is well greased as well as the inside of the barrel lug. This will help, my gun is the evidence! Last year, I did buy a spare slide stop, however, it will probably never be used. 

Hi Abb1

This is Jim Tan. While I am frustrating working on my SPS Vista long 38 super (it do not group the way I want, ammo problem I think), I ordered a Czchemate.

Czchemate seem like the gun which will work right out of the box, even with minor ammo.

Any upkeep suggestion for the Czchemate?

6 hours ago, Magictalent said:

Hi Abb1

This is Jim Tan. While I am frustrating working on my SPS Vista long 38 super (it do not group the way I want, ammo problem I think), I ordered a Czchemate.

Czchemate seem like the gun which will work right out of the box, even with minor ammo.

Wide safety, thumb rest if you like them, base pads to give you 29 in the big stick and 20+ in the smaller mags. 

You will also need to tune the mags when using extensions, which is easy. Use the search to find a review I did on the Czechmate. 

It's been a while and I don't remember if it was in the open section or CZ section. 

On 9/29/2017 at 8:37 AM, Magictalent said:

Hi Abb1

As far as upkeep, as mentioned, if you keep it cleaned and oiled after every use, it will last and forever be reliable. I use grease for the barrel lug and slide rails and use oil for trigger, sear and any other moving parts. A few mods you may want over time, as Honkeymcgee stated, wide safeties are a must, especially if you have small to medium hands. https://czcustom.com/cz-tactical-sports-cz-ts-extended-ambi-safety-lhs.html  When I first got my Czechmate, I had a problem taking the safety off from the draw as I have medium hands. The extended thumb safety eliminated that, and now it is instant. Also, if you get a czechmate, make sure it is the new design which has the beefed up barrel and improved checkering on the frame. Huge upgrades. The barrel was upgraded about two years ago, and the frame was just upgraded this year with checkering identical on that of the Shadow 2. Make sure that you get a new one and not one tha has been sitting on the shelf. Wolverine Supplies has a new one in stock, and I am sure other Canadian suppliers do as well, just make sure that it is a new model from this year.

Edited by abb1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 12:25 PM, abb1 said:

As far as upkeep, as mentioned, if you keep it cleaned and oiled after every use, it will last and forever be reliable. I use grease for the barrel lug and slide rails and use oil for trigger, sear and any other moving parts. A few mods you may want over time, as Honkeymcgee stated, wide safeties are a must, especially if you have small to medium hands. https://czcustom.com/cz-tactical-sports-cz-ts-extended-ambi-safety-lhs.html  When I first got my Czechmate, I had a problem taking the safety off from the draw as I have medium hands. The extended thumb safety eliminated that, and now it is instant. Also, if you get a czechmate, make sure it is the new design which has the beefed up barrel and improved checkering on the frame. Huge upgrades. The barrel was upgraded about two years ago, and the frame was just upgraded this year with checkering identical on that of the Shadow 2. Make sure that you get a new one and not one tha has been sitting on the shelf. Wolverine Supplies has a new one in stock, and I am sure other Canadian suppliers do as well, just make sure that it is a new model from this year.

Hi, it is me again. Thank you very much for your help!

Am I going to see you this weekend?

The czechmate is at home now, but I do not have paper for me to shoot it at the match yet. Thumb safety is not an issue for me. Love the new checkering. I can use my TSO setup for the open gun.

I take the gun apart, and I don't know how to take the barrel out and clean it. Comp is very lock in very well. May I ask do we need to take the barrel out to clean or I should just leave it alone?

I am going to load some test ammo this weekend. with 3N38. May I have some starting point?

I am thinking between 8.2-8.6 gr. OAL 1.140

Thank you   

Hi, it is me again. Thank you very much for your help!

Am I going to see you this weekend?

The czechmate is at home now, but I do not have paper for me to shoot it at the match yet. Thumb safety is not an issue for me. Love the new checkering. I can use my TSO setup for the open gun.

I take the gun apart, and I don't know how to take the barrel out and clean it. Comp is very lock in very well. May I ask do we need to take the barrel out to clean or I should just leave it alone?

I am going to load some test ammo this weekend. with 3N38. May I have some starting point?

I am thinking between 8.2-8.6 gr. OAL 1.140

Thank you   

9.1 grains 3n38 , 115 grain xtreme HPCB, cci spp, 1.150 OAL = 170pf out of my Czechmate

Data corrected to 9.1

Ok here are my loads, no mistakes this time.

9.1 grains 3n38, OAL 1.150, 115 grain Xtreme HPCB, CCI SPP, Federal brass = 170pf and single digit STD

very accurate

9.7 grains AA#7, OAL 1.150, Xtreme 115 grain HPCB, CCI SPP, Federal brass =170pf and ok STD

not very accurate

8.4 grains HS6, OAL. 1.155, Xtreme 115 grain HPCB, CCI SPP, Federal brass = 172pf

STD is ok

very accurate

7.9 grains HS6, OAL 1.155, Xtreme 124 HPCB, CCI SPP, Federal brass =182 pf

STD is ok but primers show pressure signs and gun is violent. accuracy = who cares, not going to shoot these.

7.4 grains Longshot, OAL 1.155, Xtreme 124 grain HPCB, CCI SPP, Federal brass= 164 pf, STD is ok, accuracy good, a few more tenths needed for major pf.

6.8 grains n105, OAL 1.150 Xtreme 135 grain plated, CCI SPP, Federal brass= 149pf

STD is good, gun shoots best by far with this load, dot doesn't leave glass and settles exactly where it started very quickly. Not major but I can shoot this one much faster since my dot settling time is shorter.