Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz open, checkmate or 9mm TS build

Superpipe9

I'm working on something similiar using a 6" 9mm barrel in one of my .40 TSs.  I haven't really got too far on it besides the measuring.  Fitting a barrel will be step one.

I had thought I could have purchased a Czechmate barrel but they are shorter and would require chopping the slide.  Something I am not willing to do unless I can acquire a spare slide.

11 minutes ago, selecw said:

Go the JJ route instead with a Tanfo GT? I have one as a back ups gun to my Czechmate. It works just as well and is much less expensive.

He said on the cheap.  I just setup a Tanfo GC and by the time I got done I am $3k in and will still need another couple mags.

I have a plan to convert one of my TS and if I can get it done I will be in for under $600 including optic and mount.

1 minute ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Plus the trigger is better on the tanfo.

I've not gotten a chance to feel the trigger on the CZ Czechmate but my TSs are 1.5lb & 1.8lb from the factory.  My Tanfo GC started at 4lbs and needed $150 in a Titan hammer and BOLO to get to 2.5lbs.  Still needs more polishing and possibly a couple of springs.

8 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I've not gotten a chance to feel the trigger on the CZ Czechmate but my TSs are 1.5lb & 1.8lb from the factory.  My Tanfo GC started at 4lbs and needed $150 in a Titan hammer and BOLO to get to 2.5lbs.  Still needs more polishing and possibly a couple of springs.

4lb. Holy cow. Lemon laws!! But the TS triggers are great (I have a TS and a TSO), and easy to work on :)

Edited by selecw
update

10 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

He said on the cheap.  I just setup a Tanfo GC and by the time I got done I am $3k in and will still need another couple mags.

I have a plan to convert one of my TS and if I can get it done I will be in for under $600 including optic and mount.

Hmm, I spent $1600 on my GT (new) about 3 years ago. I had to buy a Slide Ride - about $200. I recently added an MBX big stick, and a couple of base pads to the mags it shipped with. Say $200 for that. I put in a flat trigger from Henning which I am not sure adds much to the feel or pull. Can't recall how much I spent on the Eric mount, altho I started a thread on it. So by my math we are about $900-1000 apart... 

Edited by selecw
update

57 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

I would like to get into open on the cheap and already have a cz production and limited gun so I might as well stay with cz. Question is do I buy a checkmate or build one on a TS 9mm. 

I bought my first TS in 2012 (because I was too intimidated to shoot my first USPSA match with a Czechmate) and within six months it looked like this:

21056113_1803628006318790_8240167560450930387_o.thumb.jpg.a89f50372494e359e6f3ffed1ada109f.jpg

Although it was pretty heavy (54oz w/o mag) it shot pretty soft and somewhat flat.  This was a pretty simple and cheap project, but five years and dozens of guns later it's the best Open gun I've ever shot!

21014113_1802496816431909_5685231365559485081_o.thumb.jpg.98d9a41c32dc29e2d0364158e516935d.jpg

At 42oz, it's seven ounces lighter than my similarly equipped Czechmate (backup gun), and shoots significantly flatter.

If you want a CZ Open gun on the cheap I have a few 75 SA based guns you might be interested in.

7 hours ago, selecw said:

Hmm, I spent $1600 on my GT (new) about 3 years ago. I had to buy a Slide Ride - about $200. I recently added an MBX big stick, and a couple of base pads to the mags it shipped with. Say $200 for that. I put in a flat trigger from Henning which I am not sure adds much to the feel or pull. Can't recall how much I spent on the Eric mount, altho I started a thread on it. So by my math we are about $900-1000 apart... 

$1754 for gun on Grabagun

$150 90 degree Henning mount

$259 Cmore slideride click switch

$160 Hammer and BOLO from PD

$140 Henning grips

$437 1-170 & 2-140 MBX

Comes to $2900.  The Henning grips and MBX mags were a splurge.  Could shoot factory grips and Henning mags.  The mags still would have been over $100 each.  These are all prices within the past month.

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

That looks like a lot of expensive machine work, unless you own or have access to a bridgeport. 

What's the benefit of the shortened dust cover, is it just for weight or does is serve a function?

Yes, I traded a friend a gun for machining work.  The shortened dust cover help cut a considerable amount of weight, but it also allows more freedom in comp design as you don't have to worry about the comp hitting the frame; when the slide cycles, the barrel (and the comp attached to it) moves rearward relative to the frame ~7mm, so with a full dust cover the comp must fit inside the frame rails like this one:

21056113_1803628006318790_8240167560450930387_o.thumb.jpg.a89f50372494e359e6f3ffed1ada109f.jpg

Is that a sp01 shadow upper with a threaded barrel? What comp?

20 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I bought my first TS in 2012 (because I was too intimidated to shoot my first USPSA match with a Czechmate) and within six months it looked like this:

Although it was pretty heavy (54oz w/o mag) it shot pretty soft and somewhat flat.  This was a pretty simple and cheap project, but five years and dozens of guns later it's the best Open gun I've ever shot!

21014113_1802496816431909_5685231365559485081_o.thumb.jpg.98d9a41c32dc29e2d0364158e516935d.jpg

At 42oz, it's seven ounces lighter than my similarly equipped Czechmate (backup gun), and shoots significantly flatter.

If you want a CZ Open gun on the cheap I have a few 75 SA based guns you might be interested in.

Edited by je85

I am sure everyone's Tanfoglios are awesome based on how tied up everyone's egos are, but we should stay on topic.

I am in the same situation but my choices are CZ, converting a TS 9mm I already have on the way or an old retro open gun to shoot more or less for novelty. I will be shooting minor regardless the choice. I assume the OP will be shooting major.

16 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Lol 

'Cause you don't know what you're talking about. ??

Really? I have owned a TS, along with a few other friends that have had them, and another 3 CMates at least. 

I have felt tuned up tanfos of both the DA/SA production variety and the SAO/limited gun variety. Most don't even come close to their CZ equivalent.

I have felt Tanfo triggers with literally hundreds of dollars in parts in them and hours worth of tuning, and they are still at best equal to the TS/CM trigger. At best. 

8 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

I am sure everyone's Tanfoglios are awesome based on how tied up everyone's egos are, but we should stay on topic.

I am in the same situation but my choices are CZ, converting a TS 9mm I already have on the way or an old retro open gun to shoot more or less for novelty. I will be shooting minor regardless the choice. I assume the OP will be shooting major.

Lee, if you can really buy a new Czechmate for $2K there is no choice for you. Buy the Czechmate, shoot and enjoy!

But I can sense you're touched by the sickness, so if you have a hankering to build your own Open guns (plural yes, because you'll be a few in before you know what you want to do), then buy the Czechmate anyway so you have something to shoot while the rest of your guns are in pieces :roflol:

My only concern really is that I will be shooting 1) minor and 2) lead. Neither of these are really negotiable. I do have access to a CNC lathe with live tooling and can make a more minor friendly comp if anyone has any ideas.

I suppose trying out the CM won't hurt anything as I can probably get most of the investment back out of it and about to move down near CZC if I get into trouble.