Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Pact Mkiv Timer?

Cuz

Has anyone heard anything about a new Pact Timer coming out? I think it's going to be the MKIV XP. I called Pact today to ask some questions about their MKIV. I wanted to know if they were changing anything soon and they said they should have a MKIV XP out around the end of August. He didn't give me any more info than that. Can anyone provide any other info?

-Cuz.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the pact timer has anyone tried to use them with airsoft's?

I know the CED works as my buddies has a CED and we tried it. There are a couple of caveats but it works.

I think I prefer the MKIV for the features but I don't get to practice live fire enough...

:(

what to do?

Ira

Does anyone have any more information on this?

All I know for sure is that they still don't have a volume control and there's no way to turn off the buzzer. One of the things I want to do with a timer is bring it to the range and time some of the other shooters when they shoot. I figure i'll set it for instant on and push the button as soon as I hear the official timer buzzer. Then I can review the data later and use it when I practice. Only the CED will let me do this. I think the CED also stores more strings so I don't have to write them down.

-Cuz.

All I know for sure is that they still don't have a volume control and there's no way to turn off the buzzer.
This is totally inexcusable. All timers should have volume controls. How else are you supposed to dryfire? The CED's headphone jack is a lame solution...who wants to practice with a headphone wire dangling all over the place? And it's for practicing, what, when people are sleeping in the same room? Just put a freaking volume knob on it for crying out loud!

All I know for sure is that they still don't have a volume control and there's no way to turn off the buzzer.
This is totally inexcusable. All timers should have volume controls. How else are you supposed to dryfire? The CED's headphone jack is a lame solution...who wants to practice with a headphone wire dangling all over the place? And it's for practicing, what, when people are sleeping in the same room? Just put a freaking volume knob on it for crying out loud!

When I called Pact to ask if the new timer had a way to lower or disable the buzzer they said nobody ever asked for it. That seemed strange to me but who am I to say.

`My info on this timer is current. It's simly getting the same new low freq. buzzer the Club timer has now and the only other change is an unspecified upgrade to the chrono circutry. {Didn't think to ask if it was the new "glint guard" cir. the PRO has}

`My info on this timer is current. It's simly getting the same new low freq. buzzer the Club timer has now and the only other change is an unspecified upgrade to the chrono circutry. {Didn't think to ask if it was the new "glint guard" cir. the PRO has}

Just spoke Pact. They also will have additional training programs and a USB port for downloading to PC. They are 6-8 weeks out for release.

Here's some info from BE's store:

New/Updated MKIV Rumor:

[08.15.05] I just heard from Pact that there is an updated MKIV in the works - the MKIV XP - which is scheduled to begin shipping by mid-November (at the latest).

New improvements/features will include:

* USB port for downloading chronograph data-strings into your computer (PC only)

* Improved chronograph shot detection circuitry (same as Prof. Model Chrono)

* Will use current style Skyscreens, or new style, M-VI Skyscreens (not included)

* Improved Hot Key user interface

* A new, louder buzzer (possibly with a two-position loudness switch)

* Price will be "in the $200 zone," and will not include Skyscreens

The USB port will download a .csv file into your computer, which you can then open with Excel, or any sort of Excel-emulator type program.

The MKIV XPs may begin shipping in as soon as mid-October, but November is probably more realistic. I will update this page immediately if I hear of new improvements, so no need to call.

[08.22] The last of the (old style) MKIV's are gone. As of this moment the price for the new MKIV XP is uncertain, so I have removed them from my Online Store page.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, it looks like Pact is listening to us shooters. Brian's new info page on the XP says there's a way to turn off the buzzer. That was not available on the XP when I called Pact in early August. That's a big step in the right direction for me. Now if it just came with a way to lower the volume for indoor dryfire practice (without having to send it to Eric). Nothing against you Eric, I would just prefer to have it come that way from the factory. I almost bought a CED 8000 last week because I could turn off the buzzer by plugging in the earpiece. Now it seems I may be rethinking my decision.

-Cuz.

Just picked up the Mark IV last July and now wondering if I should return it and wait for the new one. I only paid $179 with skyscreens. I haven't used it yet and don't really need the chrono as I have the CED Millennium. Is it really worth getting the new version? I was hoping that they'll make the new one a little smaller if possible, but it looks like it's the same case. Is it worth to pay shipping to return the one I have and pay additional $20.00 for the new one without the skyscreens?

Just picked up the Mark IV last July and now wondering if I should return it and wait for the new one.  I only paid $179 with skyscreens.  I haven't used it yet and don't really need the chrono as I have the CED Millennium.  Is it really worth getting the new version?  I was hoping that they'll make the new one a little smaller if possible, but it looks like it's the same case.  Is it worth to pay shipping to return the one I have and pay additional $20.00 for the new one without the skyscreens?

I guess that decision comes down to how much you want the extra features. Being able to turn off the volume is important to me. I plan to bring my timer to matches and time other shooters to get baselines for my own practice.

-Cuz

Hey, it looks like Pact is listening to us shooters. Brian's new info page on the XP says there's a way to turn off the buzzer. That was not available on the XP when I called Pact in early August.

Well, I'm not offended in the least because it was a suggestion I called and gave to Pact, but I'm not sure they followed through with it with the "Off" feature. What good is a timer that has no buzzer? How do you use it? How do you know when to start? How do you know when your par time has elapsed?

You really need about 3 settings with the Pact: indoor dry fire, outdoor dryfire, and live fire.

What concerns me more than anything is what Pact did *not* address: battery life. There's no auto-off and there's no mention of improved battery life, which literally is measured in hours (in single digits). Leave your Pact on overnight and it will be deader than a doornail come sunrise. At least mine anyway...

Well, I'm not offended in the least because it was a suggestion I called and gave to Pact, but I'm not sure they followed through with it with the "Off" feature. What good is a timer that has no buzzer? How do you use it? How do you know when to start? How do you know when your par time has elapsed?

Eric,

One reason I would turn off the buzzer is to time other shooters at a match. I would like to "unofficially" time them by using the instant on function with no buzzer. That way I could start my timer as soon as the match timer went off. Then I could time the shooter and store the results to compare and use as a practice base. I don't have a timer yet so I don't know if this will work, but it's one thing I would like to do if I had one.

-Cuz.