Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for suggestions, 9MM minor for a cz shadow 2

jtrump

I've done some reloading for .45 acp,  .40 major for limited, and a good deal of 9mm but mostly using a 135 grain Bayou Bullet that I ran in my Glock 34 for production.

I'm picking up my Shadow 2 on Monday,  I have been doing some reading and no one seems to have the magic load, as everyone's taste are different.  

I have titegroup and N320 on hand current, fed primers and mixed brass.    The only 9mm bullets I have on hand are x-treme 147 .356 dia,  and the 135 bayou bullets,I just mic'd them @ .356 also.  

I'm open to suggestions, throw them at me please.   Anyone who has a great deal of info on reloading for the cz shadow in specific would help, as I hear they can be somewhat picky.   As always I will work up to your load and chrono for safety.

I am aware that the 147 pill may feel more pushy and soft, but with this heavy of a pistol and the minor 9mm load, would it be-who of me to go for something a little lighter and faster?

I read on another forum 4.2 grains of Tite Group, 121 Montana Golds at 1.140"OAL  "OAL pending barrel test when I get it",      Apparently, has great results accuracy wise, I've never personally felt it or even shot this pistol.  I did shoot some TG loads in .40 major and found it slightly more hot than a N320 load.

Thanks in advance everyone!

147 plated, 3.20 titegroup. mixed brass. Win spp. that's my go-to load for my shadow 2. my oal for my current bullet profile is 1.080"

what i have heard from a lot of people is that their shadow 2 is a faster barrel over the chrono than in their sp01 shadows.

My go to load is 3.6 grains Alliant Sport Pistol, 135 grain BBI at 1.120" COAL, Win SPP. My second choice I've had good success with is 3.4 grains Prima V, 135 grain BBI, 1.120" COAL, Win SPP. Before I switched to 135 BBI bullets I was using 147 grain Missouri HI TEK coated loaded with 3.2 grains Prima V, Win SPP, 1.115" COAL. 

I've got a new CZ Shadow 2 being worked on, so I'm interested in this topic as well. For those of you loading out to longer OALs, did you need to ream your Shadow 2 barrels? I read quite often how short the chambers are for CZ barrels.

I also see that on the 2016 USPSA Production Nationals equipment survey that 147 gr bullets are overwhelmingly favored (47% of competitors). Are 135 gr bullets gaining ground?

Indeed I do plan to plunk test them...  To bad I have a ton loaded out to 1.135 for the Glock 34.  

I will probably end up switching to TG and trying the load above, pref like to load it longer than that if possible but, OAL isn't everything, but it can change the way the entire round acts.

I'm using 3.6g N320 behind the 135 Bayou @ 1.135OAL out of the glock 34 and was getting right at 130pf with it,  but the accuracy.....  Maybe its the gun?  I tried the stock and a regular lonewolf barrel and the group at 15 yards is 5" off a rest.. It's pretty terrible.

1 minute ago, blackhand said:

I've got a new CZ Shadow 2 being worked on, so I'm interested in this topic as well. For those of you loading out to longer OALs, did you need to ream your Shadow 2 barrels? I read quite often how short the chambers are for CZ barrels.

I also see that on the 2016 USPSA Production Nationals equipment survey that 147 gr bullets are overwhelmingly favored (47% of competitors). Are 135 gr bullets gaining ground?

Since I am new to the platform also, one suggested to take a dummy round and push it into the chamber until it stops and then back off .2 and that would be my maximum OAL for that particular pistol/barrel as long as it spun freely.   Would like to know how I can check this for sure.  I notice in my press, maybe it's because it's mixed brass I will get a 1.33OAL and a 1.36OAL etc,  I can't every dial it into 1.135 unless it's for like a particular exclusive type of brass.

10 hours ago, jtrump said:

.....   and then back off .2 and that would be my maximum OAL ....

Sounds like you're experienced enough, but some readers might Not be,

to realize that you really mean to back of 0.02" on OAL., and even that

might be a little too generous - maybe back of 0.005" - 0.01" - might

be better.    :) 

I you measure 1.135" during The Plunk Test, you might want to back

that off to 1.130" (0.005").

Haha Jack I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff,   But I have a pretty good mentor and he fills my head full of information constantly.    I've only been reloading a year.

Ace,  I've heard a lot of good things about E3 and never tried it..  Now also this new Prima V that's out seems to be a pretty hot topic of discussion,     I've tried a number of powders for .45/40/9mm,  I wouldn't say I like N320 the best,  expensive, hard to find...     Titegroup I can grab off the shelf here in town for $150 8lb jug,  slightly pricey but not hazmat charge. 

I'm thinking I'm going to love this gun.

15 hours ago, rowdyb said:

147 plated, 3.20 titegroup. mixed brass. Win spp. that's my go-to load for my shadow 2. my oal for my current bullet profile is 1.080"

what i have heard from a lot of people is that their shadow 2 is a faster barrel over the chrono than in their sp01 shadows.

I was hoping you would chime in at some point Rowdyb.   So, now here is the million dollar question.   I see so many people just say stay away from the plated.   I tried some when I was shooting limited and I felt that they were pretty terrible.

I can pick up 147g Extreme's about a mile from my house right now for a good price,  the diameter reads .356,  I've heard that the plated/lead bullets if to small of a diameter won't grab the lands in the barrel as well and accuracy suffers, people are getting so called key holes, blah blah.     I use a very light crimp,  I don't believe I would even dent the  plated bullets with how my press it set up.   In fact the guy gave me a handfull "20" or so, he said here try them out.   Maybe I'll go load on and pull it.

The part that confused me is there are so many naysayers and then someone such as yourself comes in here and says plated...  that screws my head all up :).

Appreciate all the info so far guys

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sounds like you're experienced enough, but some readers might Not be,

to realize that you really mean to back of 0.02" on OAL., and even that

might be a little too generous - maybe back of 0.005" - 0.01" - might

be better.    :) 

I you measure 1.135" during The Plunk Test, you might want to back

that off to 1.130" (0.005").

Thank you Sir for clarifying in the case other readers run into this.  I could not explain it that well haha.

well some people love coated bullets and i don't like them at all.

and when i say plated i don't mean xtreme.  this is the bullet i use or one from RMR. https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/9-147-fp

or from rmr https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-for-reloading/bullets-for-reloading-9mm-355-12/9mm-147-gr-rmr-hardcore-match-round-nose-plated/?v=7516fd43adaa

i do not like cheap bullets. i don't care what someone's budget or numbers show. in my experience they are not consistent in coating, weight, size or accuracy. and take too much finessing at the press. i'd rather shoot less than shoot a projectile that makes me compromise. but that's just me and plenty of people feel very strongly to the contrary.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

well some people love coated bullets and i don't like them at all.

and when i say plated i don't mean xtreme.  this is the bullet i use or one from RMR. https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/9-147-fp

or from rmr https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-for-reloading/bullets-for-reloading-9mm-355-12/9mm-147-gr-rmr-hardcore-match-round-nose-plated/?v=7516fd43adaa

i do not like cheap bullets. i don't care what someone's budget or numbers show. in my experience they are not consistent in coating, weight, size or accuracy. and take too much finessing at the press. i'd rather shoot less than shoot a projectile that makes me compromise. but that's just me and plenty of people feel very strongly to the contrary.

So your referring to the double plated bullets?   With that FP bullet in 147g you are able to load that short to 1.080?   I guess you have enough room because of the TG powder?  As mentioned I'm not professional, but I read a lot and have heard you need enough space for the 147's/power which typically end up being loaded longer.   I pick my gun up tomorrow and am super excited!   I just want an accurate load that will run in the gun as I understand like every gun it has things it really likes.  I'm use to loading long in .40 major maybe I'm to hung up on that.

Also I thought he extremes were double struck the same as berrys.  I've never shot a berry's brand bullet.

Edited by jtrump

yes, with both those bullets i can load that short, easily. yes, using TG makes this easier as there isn't much volume to it in the case. and as you well know, i can want to load a certain length or whatever, but if it doesn't plunk and spin in my barrel, then what does it matter?

there are soo many variables you're probably not going to get a "one load to rule them all" from us on the internet for your gun, your powder, your bullet. you'll have to experiment a little on your own.

you'll find compelling reasons from most people for plated, jacketed, coated. 124, 135, 147 brain bullets. fast or medium powders. they're general guidelines, so go for it with what you got and you'll get what works for you as long as you're not trying something far out in left field.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:29 PM, rowdyb said:

To your previous post I understand Rowdy, there are ups and downs and opinions for everything.   Last question out of my and I'll move on to experimenting with 3 different loads.  One being yours.   Since it's the same gun,  curious at to the PF it was making  with the recipe above, I know mine may differ and I'll stat a tad lighter on power over the chrono.

Ok so I got the gun this morning,  and just got some time to start tinkering..    Pulled the barrel and ran some of my glock loads down to a 1.114 OAL,  the picture attached is at the OAL,  I'm thinking if this is like any 1911/2011 platform,  that brass should be even with the "forgive me"  little tab that locks to the breach face.   It should be flush correct, and still needs to spin freely so I know it's not engaging the rifling?

These are 135 bayous .356,   I'm just trying to get a baseline of where my oal will need to be for them, and for when my 147's come in tomorrow I can repeat some sort of process to get it perfect.  

any advice, very grateful.

This picture is at 1.114OAL with the coated bullets.

IMG_2414.jpg

Edited by jtrump

So I loaded the jacketed bullet down to a 1.076 and it still does not come flush with that face.   I'm starting to think unlike other barrels that its not the case?      The plunk fine and spin free,  I'm just curious about the game.  

This picture is the 147 plated @ 1.076 OAL,    I pulled the bullet and I could see a slight line barely feel it, so i took some crimp out also.

1.076.jpg

SO I guess what I'm asking now, is where should the dang bullet be in relation to that not so prevalent "as other guns" black notch that I assumed the brass had to align flush with be?

1.076 seems awfully short and it's still not flush,   1.114 spun freely, but you can see in the pics above where it sits in relation to the barrel.   Plunk sounds fine and they both move freely.

I want to feel like they need to be flush with one another...

Edited by jtrump

21 minutes ago, MNshooter said:

CZ Shadow 2
135 gr Bayou 1.11 oal 3.4 Titegroup = 135 PF but more smoke than I hoped.

135 gr Bayou 1.11 oal 3.65 N320 = 132 PF very clean.

Thank you,  now for the other dilemma described with photo's about where the brass ends up?    This makes me feel like I've never reloaded before haha.

I load the bayou (and BBI) 135gr coated bullets for my SP01.  OAL is 1.08-1.09 (mixed brass) and powder is either N320 or Prima V, same charge (3.5gr) for both.  

This combo nets ~132-135PF and shoots accurate and clean

Edited by muncie21