Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What recoil spring weight are you running in your TSO .40?

muncie21

My 9mm pistols typically throw the brass about 8-10' from me, at the 4/5 O'clock position.  My .40 TSO on the other hand seems to throw the brass 10-18', when shooting a 172 PF, 180gr bullet.

I've tried 14, 16 and 18 lb springs in addition to the 13# (I believe, the pistol was used) spring to test for functionality.  All of those springs will cycle a full magazine with no malfunctions, tested with ~20 rounds per spring.  I didn't spend enough time with the heavier springs to determine how they impact follow-up shots and overall fit with my grip/style.

Looking for feedback on what some other folks are using and why.

#14 is factory.  I use a 13lb spring for loads between 140PF and 172PF.  At 172, brass is tossed about 6'.  The 140 just dribbles out at 2'.  For sub-minor loads for SC I use a 10 lb spring (135gr at 115-120ish).

Edited by zzt

What springs are people using and are you using the buffer? I just put 100 rounds through mine last week for the first time so no time to experiment with different springs yet.

No buffers.  They were put in for the IPSC version that had slide stop breaking problems.  When they transitioned to the TS, they were included, but not necessary.  When I bought my TS from CZC, Stuart told be never to use them.

7 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

My TS has a 10lb recoil spring

Holy frame battering, sonic slide velocity batman! Just teasing

Interested to see if there is any correlation between low recoil spring weight and broken parts. 

Holy frame battering, sonic slide velocity batman! Just teasing
Interested to see if there is any correlation between low recoil spring weight and broken parts. 
I think a 10lb recoil spring isn't too uncommon among major PF Limited shooters, especially with glock and 2011s.
I haven't broken anything yet, but I've only put about 3k through mine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

On ‎3‎.‎8‎.‎2017 at 8:29 PM, zzt said:

No buffers.  They were put in for the IPSC version that had slide stop breaking problems.  When they transitioned to the TS, they were included, but not necessary.  When I bought my TS from CZC, Stuart told be never to use them.

CZ Standard IPSC .40 was breaking slides without a buffer. All CZ's break slide stop's.

CM is major and using a 10 lb recoil spring so it should also work fine in regular TS .40.

I choose my recoil spring weight by judging how the sights settle. It's a given that the brass will eject, and I don't care how far as long as in doesn't hit me in the face. Too heavy of a recoil spring seems to cause the front sight to drop as the slide slams forward. I'm sure running a light recoil spring will reduce the life of the pistol. I but I want to shoot the next shot sooner, more than I want the gun to last forever.
Just my opinion, it's a subjective thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I purchased a TSO, have about 800 rounds thru it. Using 180gr at 165-170 power factor. I need to know how to determine what spring(s) are best for me.  Oh, and how do I determine the weight of the springs that were included with the gun?

Edited by kaibabcowboy
Needed more information.

6 hours ago, kaibabcowboy said:

...how do I determine the weight of the springs that were included with the gun?

Why put them on a scale of course :)  Now obtaining the spring weight, that's a bit more problematic.

All teasing aside, I 'believe' that factory Tactical Sports' shipped with 14# springs.  I'm sure there's enough talent on this site, that someone will be able to confirm this is accurate or not.  Some folks count spring coils, however I'm not sure  how accurate this method is.

Edited by muncie21