Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Practical?

After talking to the guys in the shop at the reange about the Winchester Practical, one magically appeared for $935.

I don't shoot 3 gun yet and don't even own an AR, but this thing looks COOL.

Is it the best for 3-gun out of the box?

Are they indeed rare?

Should I scramble on this or get an AR first?

Thanks,

SA

Steve... had the opportunity to look at one the other day (Win superX2....)  I shoot 1100's and like the idea of being able to drop the bolt when you trip the loading gate...I think I would look at the Browning Gold or a Win field model as I am told they dont require the additional hand motion required to activate the bolt drop button...I havent played with any of them personally... regards Les  ps.. if you own a FAL you will appreciate the bolt/carrier and operating mechanism

The most popular are Remington and Benelli. Cooley uses the Win. and there was the fastest shotgun article in FS. If you're buying it because it allegedly cycles .01 seconds faster forget it. It is the shooter not the gun and there just aren't enough accessories out for it yet. I've been running the 1100 Walmart special for the last year w/o any problems. It was 1/3 the price you posted. Good marketing on the part of Win/browning more than anything. The Benelli Practical all set up from the factory is in the price ball park. If I was spending that kind of money I'd spend the extra and get the JP package.

1100/1187 is cheap, runs, and has all accessories for it.

I'll let you in on a secret that pops the bubble of the Winchester following. How often do you shoot "double taps" with a shotgun? How about NEVER.  Who cares if it cycles or is faster on "double tap"

As Chris said. Its how fast that shooter moves the gun to the next popper or target. That's quite a bit more than .01 sec.

The 1100 needs accessories that will get it close to the $800 price but will hold 10+1 and always work.

Now I like Winchester .40 brass. :)

I now own a benelli and think its the best out of the box, i had an 1100 and the cycle was just too slow.  I also own an 870 and used that for 3 gun for a year and a half.  As the article in FS about the fastest shotgun, well it wasnt a totally unbias test, the author shoots for winchester and also he didnt shoulder the gun to get the fast split times, he had it against a tree.  Not meaning to bad mouth the Winchester, it is a good gun, but I think for the money other options are better

Phew, I thought it was just me!

I read that article too, and tried shooting doubles with my 1187 at 15 on an A zone plate, .3 ave.

I too think the cycle times mentioned were irrelevant.

If you like it and it works, shoot it

P.D.

I think the Winchester is a good gun plus out of the box it's ready to go (once you slap some shell carriers on it).  IT IS NOT THE GUN THAT BENNIE USES.  He uses a Browning Gold built up by Briley.  While the guns are similiar they are not exactly the same.  To me the winchester feels somewhat clunkier and the Browning has the auto load feature.  The winchester appears to be more durable than the 1100/1187 series and if they are like the old Super X they will be.  Tony Holmes lost the 2002 Open 3 gun championship because his Remington 1100 betrayed him.

As for the fast splits, that makes no difference.  I have yet to see anyone "outrun" their shotgun in a 3 gun match, including Jerry Miculek who is the fastest trigger puller that I've ever seen.  At an SOF team match, I saw him empty his 1100 by shooting it dry and I have never seen a shotgun shoot so fast.  It sounded like a full auto.

Look and shoot all the shotguns and then make you're choice.  All have advantages/disadvantages.  Oh, I'd get a good AR first anyway!

I just want to clarify that I posted some wrong info on my previous post.  I stated that Pat Kelley used the Winchester and got splits by shooting it off a tree,  as I spoke with him via email, I was wrong.  He did get those split times shooting from the shoulder.  My choice is still the benelli, but i wanted to clarify my misinformation.

Whew what a relief, I was having this weird picture of Mr. Pat Kelly wrapped around a tree with his blaster... Sounds like a good stage though.

I favor the Remington.

Tried Benelli... works for Jeff Cramblit but not for me.

Tried Winchester... Don't see any plus.

Tried Browning Gold.. Cool but still don't see a need for the speed feed feature unless I were left handed..  It is magic though... How do it KNOW.

KyleL

Quote: from kellyn on 7:47 pm on July 19, 2002

As for the fast splits, that makes no difference.  I have yet to see anyone "outrun" their shotgun in a 3 gun match, including Jerry Miculek who is the fastest trigger puller that I've ever seen.  At an SOF team match, I saw him empty his 1100 by shooting it dry and I have never seen a shotgun shoot so fast.  It sounded like a full auto.

I've been wondering about this since the Front Sight article a few months ago. My best splits (Rem Hvy Dove) are .19 sec. I think I could knock a little off if my 1187's trigger had less overtravel but I can't imagine anyone outrunning their SG. Does anyone really do this? If so my hat's of to you!

DBLTP:

Believe it or not, it is fairly easy to "out run" your shotgun. About a 15 degree slope with decaying sandstone works about the best and it is good to be running as fast as possible when you hit the decline. When I tested this, my splits requiered about 15 stiches and my target to target time was OWESOM!! It also requiered a day at the shop for Me to fix all the damage to my now scratched Benelli, the camo job hides it nicely.

On a more positive note John Satterwhite never once said that he "out ran a REM or BEN so I would have to say NO BIG DEAL. Shoot em like they are loaners!! and have fun!!!                                        Kurt

I just bought the Mark 1 instead of the benelli I was considering because it was race ready out of the box for $150- less not including price of upgrades(mag ext) for the Benelli.  I also like the flip down rear sight feature as I can shoot the fiber optic on steel and flip it up for the rare slug.  I really like the ghost rings on the Mark II and the Benelli but the fiber optic is supposed to be faster for what will be the majority of my shooting.

thank you kellyn for clearing that up as i was reading i was like AAHHHH!.

i honestly think the browning gold stalker is probabally the BEST gun out there browning quality, and the auto load feature are what set it appart.

i am clearly in the benelli croud though. i have had 1 jam with my M1S90 tactical because the ignorant shooter(me) threw the shell in backwards and hit the release.

i shot an 870 for a while, am pretty good with a pump now, but the semi is so much more fun and faster. Had an 1100 which was not hard at all to outrun, get it just a little dirty and hard to fall poppes, i could double tap and only one round come out. worse yet, they don't like to run below 20 deg. F  and i like to shoot in whatever weather i can stand.

where people make the mistake with ghost rings is they need to ignore the rear sight for most purposes, but instead they try to line it up. to me its faster on most types of shooting, now if you will ONLY be shooting close steel, or clays, then a VR is the best way to go.

i think for 3 gun a benelli is tops, especially tactical 3 gun, i have 9 loaded rounds in my 18.5" barreled benelli, you'll be hard pressed to find a tube that holds enough ammo to make that equal with any other gun under that length.