Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buy new or convert Limited grip/frame to Open

Balakay

Thinking about an Open gun.  Here is the question:

I have a 6inch .40 Limited gun with a SDC that is currently a backup. I love the grip (SVI signature), trigger, magwell. I am certain that my first open gun, if purchased complete,  will not have this grip due to my not wanting to dive into the deep end yet

I could sell the Limited slide/barrel and have someone drill/tap the frame for a mount and add a complete slide, mount, dot, 9mm barrel and comp.  

OR

Sell the Limited gun and buy a new open gun, realizing that whatever I buy, I will likely want  something different as I learn more about what works for me 

Your least expensive option is a new top end in 9mm or 38SC.  I would not drill the frame for a mount, at least at first.  I've been running slide mounted dots for years with no issues.  Get the slide lightened and have a rear scallop cut in.  Some sights like the RTS2 or any with the same pin and hole pattern will mount directly on the scallop.  DPPs, FF3s and the like can be mounted directly, but without locating pins unless you put an adapter between.

I too like Plan C best.

I would not jump into building new one until I had good idea and feel for the guns.  Buy-shoot-sell-buy another one is very solid learning tool.

I bought and sold close to 10 used guns before I knew what I wanted.

Edited by Foxbat

On 7/9/2017 at 5:26 PM, Balakay said:

Thinking about an Open gun.  Here is the question:

I have a 6inch .40 Limited gun with a SDC that is currently a backup. I love the grip (SVI signature), trigger, magwell. I am certain that my first open gun, if purchased complete,  will not have this grip due to my not wanting to dive into the deep end yet

I could sell the Limited slide/barrel and have someone drill/tap the frame for a mount and add a complete slide, mount, dot, 9mm barrel and comp.  

OR

Sell the Limited gun and buy a new open gun, realizing that whatever I buy, I will likely want  something different as I learn more about what works for me 

Both options have pros and cons.   I would sell the top end or even keep it and have a new open top end fit.  Why?  A lot of labor cost is involved in trigger jobs, not mention all new parts.  You might be able to snag a barrel deal on here.  If not, a new slide and barrel designed the way you want on the frame and grip you like--is a better way to go.  Comps/barrels are given away on prize tables all the time.

I believe you will lose more money selling the limited and starting from scratch on a new open.  A used open has to many possible hidden problems.

5 hours ago, lcs said:

you will lose more money selling the limited and starting from scratch on a new open.

I'm not sure, here's what I'm thinking: his steel grip, SDC Limited gun is worth something like $2,400, his used, butler-cut top end might sell for $400.  A new, compensated top end fit to your bottom end - $1,200, optic/mount - $300+, refinishing - $150+.  That's $3,650 minimum into your Open gun, you could definitely get something nice for that much.

Edited by kneelingatlas

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

I'm not sure, here's what I'm thinking: his steel grip, SDC Limited gun is worth something like $2,400, his used, butler-cut top end might sell for $400.  A new, compensated top end fit to your bottom end - $1,200, optic/mount - $300+, refinishing - $150+.  That's $3,650 minimum into your Open gun, you could definitely get something nice for that much.

Using these hypothetical numbers, would I be better off with a new Open gun, at that price maybe a CK or a new top end for my SVI grip/STI frame?

6 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Look for a used STI TruBor in 9mm. Use it for a couple of years and sell it for what you paid for it. Thanks, Eric

That is what I was looking for but I ended up buying the used Brazos 38Super that was recently for sale on the forum. Not sure how I am going to like scavenging brass but it seemed like a nice deal. Bob built one of my limited guns and it has been trouble free for 25K rounds