Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Knee!

Ed K

The Nationals are only a month away. What did I do last week? Chasing the grandkids, stepped in between two boulders and tore out my ACL. The whole summer, right down the $^^$ing tube. No sectional, no nationals. This really sucks the big one. I HATE IT!!!!!

We have the same problem. I had my acl re-constructed 2 years ago. I can't run as I use to before. Psycological effect I think. The worst part is I don't have much time going to gym to build up the muscle.

• 1 month later...

I sprained my ACL doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu... made a nice "popping sound"... despite serious physical therapy, 8 months later it still isn't "right". In a month if it isn't alright doc wants to try a cortisone shot... what do you all think?

I'm all for checking a box on the sign up sheet that gives you an extra 5% of your score for each body part that has been rebuilt ;)

Mike +15%

Both knees and both shoulders and Super Senior, heck I don't even have to show up to win :(

I sprained my ACL doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu... made a nice "popping sound"... despite serious physical therapy, 8 months later it still isn't "right". In a month if it isn't alright doc wants to try a cortisone shot... what do you all think?

Not enough info. Generally, a steroid injection isn't going to do squat for an ACL tear. After 8 months, if you haven't had an MRI, get one. If you have had an MRI, even if it was negative, it may be time for a diagnostic arthroscopy. MRIs aren't 100 accurate.

Way to long for Phys Therapy on an ACL. Get the MRI or Diag Arthro. The ACL repair with a Semitendinosis Graph is a very reliable surgery.

I am not one to advocate surgery all the time but when it hampers normal activity then it is time for serious consideration.

Good luck, Craig

99% of the time when you hurt you ACL it is usually all or nothing.

If you heard a popping sound, very good chances are that it is torn...not sprained.

No amount of cortizone or physical therapy is gonna reattach a busted ligament.

I know it didn't tear from the MRI and the 'lachmann test'... there is very very little instability or "play" in the joint. there is however fluid build up that causes some 'creakiness' in the joint.

my insurance is super stingy and my not approve "arthroscopy" or a second mri

A Lachmann's test is not conclusive. There are way to many variables. For instance in my case my leg strength was plenty to keep the joint within normal ranges.

+1 on Jakes answer, ACL's are rarely a simple sprain and when they are torn there is likely meniscal damage which would explain the swelling. Once you lose the ACL there is movement in the joint increasing the workload of the menisci.

Definitely get a 2nd opinion. Don't back down from the insurance, there job is to say no simply on the chance you will believe them. Become just as much of a pain in their ass as you can until you get what you want and need.

Good luck, Craig