Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11-87

oddjob

Just shot a 3 gun match.  My 11-87 took a dump on me.  I shot it two weeks ago to make sure it would function and it was fine.  Then on match day (when else??) it wouldn't cycle trap loads.  Slugs and hi-base were fine.

What is it about the 11-87 makes it that much more unreliable than other shotguns?? Gas system?? If so what about it.  The fix?? Replacement of certain parts??

Any ideas would help.

Thanks

I have had 2 11-87s, and the only problem I had was low quality replacement o-rings (the gas seal) I clean the gas system once a year and carry an extra o-ring in my wallet. (be careful who sees the imprint on the outside of your wallet!)   Mark

Hi Oddjob

I hope It's an o ring, but I am willing to bet It's not.

If you look at the bottom of the barrel where the two ports are located there is a check valve covering them.  This check is to bleed off excess gas of high power loads.   11-87 are set up as a compromise.  They are designed to shoot middle power to heavy loads.

I know their are people out there that will dispute this but I have over 10 years of remington 11-87 experience.

Now; here is the fix for your problem........

You have to open up the barrel ports (not check valve ports)  Two drill sizes up does the trick.  Best way is to use a drill press but if one Isn't available a vise and a hand drill will work.

Now after you drill your barrel you shouldn't shoot buck or slugs to often.   The larger ports throws the carrier back much harder and could cause an accelerated wear problem.  If you only shoot a few slugs every now and then at a 3 gun match you wont have a problem.

Steven

Hey Oddjob,

Stevens advice is great, I go one step farther but you have to test your blaster to make sure. I open up the ports as stated by Steven then I replace the gas ring with the Remington steel ring, it is an accelerator seal or some crazy name, anyway this part seals the system and won't wear out, at least I haven't worn one out yet. You also need to make sure your gas sysyem is lubed very well with Rem lube spray, of course make sure it is clean before you spray it down. Hope this helps. ADIOS KyleL

I think this subject has come up before and I posted about a thing Remington makes called tha "light load activator" for it's 3.5" 11-87's.  It is an extra ring that is installed behing the gas rings and lets you shoot lighter loads in your 11-87 without changing anything.  

I found the link to the thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...2&topic=123

No, I don't think so.  They are talking about a new style of gas rings. The old version are two piece and the new style are either one piece or two pieces that are stuck togeather?  I don't know as I only have the two pieces in all my Rem autos. In this case I think the light load activator may be what is needed to helf the functioning problems. I think this route is a good way to go rather than permantly altering a firearm.    

I got one of the 'light load activators' a while back for my 21" 11/87 bbl.  It goes in in addition to the gas rings.  Without it, only max loads would run the gun.  With it installed, it'll run almost anything light.

They warn you not to leave it in when shooting heavy loads.

Oddjob,

Go to the Remington web site and get the new gas rings, someone said they are free.  Or Brownells has'em.  Drill your ports out to .100, slide those new puppies on, oil it up and go blast with Wal-mart $3.00 a box #8.  Works good and lasts a long time!