Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Death Draw!

John Dunn

I shot a steel match in Casper yesterday. First stage was a plate rack with two strings at 10 yds or so and another two strings at 13 or so. First run was OK, nothing stellar, but decent. Second run, I grab the gun and get the classic locked holster wedgie draw. No problem, I've been there and done that before. I reach down with my long finger to sweep off the lever on my Ghost holster, but there is no lever there!

So now I have to bend over to see what the deal is and discover that the lever is forward of where I thought it could go. I figure the holster is broken, but I was able to reach over with my left hand, get the holster unlocked. It was something like a 9 second draw!

One of the more experienced shooters on the squad explained to me the "Super lock" position on the Ghost, and it seems the holster wasn't broken after all.

Does anyone know a good way to defeat the super lock position so this can't happen again?

Bonedaddy won the match!

I like the super-lock for walking around, RO-ing, etc, but if you must disable it, you can crank the whole lock mechanism around (it's threaded into the holster body) so that the 'super-lock' position is either physically impossible to get into, or crank it back so it goes where the regular lock is and the regular lock position moves to the bottom of the holster.

Anyone who doesn't have a story like this....has never used a ghost for more than a week.

I was nervousse about starting seated with it unlocked, so started "RAW DEAL" locked, intending to sweep off the lock with the draw. That's part of the advantage of the ghost in the first place, right?

Well, I made such a precise grab, I never touched the lock and stood there trying to yank the belt up around my ears......very cool. :ph34r: Draw was measured with a un dial. <_<

Can anyone explain or show pictures of this "super locked" position?

The only positions I know about on mine are unlocked for normal draws, and locked where you can sweep the lever off on the draw. So how does the regular locked position differ from the "super locked" position? Both in terms of the position of the lever and how the gun is secured?

The older Ghost has only one lock position. The newer Ghost has an additional position, rotated forward, so the lever is out of the way of your jacket or whatever.

I think Angus at Ghostholster.com offers a retrofit kit.

Anybody using a Ghost or Limcat should get in the habit of doing a quick lift and replace just before getting into the start position. Especially between strings! Especially after walking to the next box for the next string in a standards!

"Been there, done that, got the wedgie."

I think the lift and replace idea is the ticket, and I'll make that part of my routine.

I think I must have knocked the lever to super lock on the grab in some jackass kungfu grip bad juju maneuver.

The funny thing is the screw-up took all the pressure off me, as I knew I was out of the running, so I shot the rest of the match at an elevated level of mediocrity.

Other than catching a crapload of lead from back-splatter, the entire match was a blast. Thanks for all the good suggestions. :)

John,

been there, done that, I think I still got the wedgee marks on my butt.

I removed the super lock (I didn't know what it was call until now) by removing the lever. the cylinder that contains the locking mech. has a T shaped slot cut in it. I got out the dremel and ground out the super lock part of it.

John just keeps getting better and better. And I have to keep getting more and more resourceful :rolleyes: just to stay ever-so-slightly ahead of him.

(do you have any idea how much research I had to do on his holster to discover this useful feature)

One detail John left out is that he took home the prize money for 2nd overall in limited and spanked me and two other M shooters on most of the stages. But, I have no pity for him what-so-ever. His other 17 draws during the match were at least .5 sec faster than anyone else's, so it all evened out in the end. :lol:

I was ROing John when he experienced the death draw. I watched him LAMR and replace the pistol in the holster, unlocked. I have no idea how the holster managed to get locked.

As for John's elevated level of mediocrity, he kicked my butt so I quess I really suck canal water. Sam and I have been trying to tell John just how fast he really is out of an unlocked holster, but he ain't buying.

I have an older Ghost with a pin, and it does have a "Superlock" position. It is possible (because I have done it) to hit the lever from either the unlocked position or the normal lock position and have it go into "Superlock". (That can hurt too...getting your belt and pants up to about chest level...) :wacko:

Isn't it amazing how fast you can turn a pair of tighty-whities into a thong? :huh:

I think that's how this guy did this. It goes to show what happens when you go the beach after shoot where a "death draw" happens. This guy hasn't reholstered yet.

WARNING: The above link has graphical content. Parental discretion is advised.

The first ghost's did not have the super lock because I was worried that it was possible to get the holster from locked to super locked by mistake. I deafulted to super lock after many email and converstions, I tried and tried to go from lock to super lock by accident. but could not make it happen so I went wiht the supre lock. the only way is to keep pressure to the side of the lever when you unlock and kinda force it through to super lock bery difficult but I supoose posible?

Angus,

I must be talented, I've got an old pinned metal ghost, and I didn't quite trust it at first. if I had a stage where the start was any thing besides standing, I'd start with the holster locked, and hit the release on the draw. twice I hit release lever, drove it straight into superlock, and gave myself a super wedgees. after that it was dremel time.