Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DeltaPoint Pro Screw Problem

selecw

On 7/26/2017 at 8:09 AM, zombywoof said:

I've never had a problem removing screws with the Red Loctite 271 using only hand tools. My bottle is several years old though.

At this point I'm not getting it off. The torex screws strip easily. The sight is still locked in place. I will have to get some professional help removing it I guess. I'm assuming it will have to be drilled out. My guess is I send it back to CZC and have them remove it.

3 hours ago, Brooke said:

At this point I'm not getting it off. The torex screws strip easily. The sight is still locked in place. I will have to get some professional help removing it I guess. I'm assuming it will have to be drilled out. My guess is I send it back to CZC and have them remove it.

Have you tried heating the screw up with a soldering iron?

18 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Have you tried heating the screw up with a soldering iron?

My fear is that the sight will get too hot. I may have to resort to this and just sacrifice the sight. I hope not. Thanks for the idea. If I go that way I will let you know the result. I guess I could just shoot it until something goes wrong with the sight and then try this. Maybe if I shoot it fast enough with Titegroup it will get hot enough. :o

11 hours ago, Brooke said:

My fear is that the sight will get too hot. I may have to resort to this and just sacrifice the sight. I hope not. Thanks for the idea. If I go that way I will let you know the result. I guess I could just shoot it until something goes wrong with the sight and then try this. Maybe if I shoot it fast enough with Titegroup it will get hot enough. :o

Putting the tip of the soldering iron on the head of the screw should localize the heat. Might work.

On 7/29/2017 at 5:59 AM, Brooke said:

Maybe they changed it, but when I called Stuart confirmed that the threads were 8-32 and 8-32 screws easily fit and were removable and reinsert able several times. The metric screws seemed to fit but could be pulled straight out without rotation. He even said they had to enlarge the holes in the sight to accept the 8-32. Not my imagination.

Thanks for the clarification.   I was careful when I wrote that statement to say mine was M4x.7   :).        How long ago did they machine your slide?   Wonder if they changed over due to mfgrs changing hardware. 

Don't know current status. I actually have two of these slides and both are 8-32. I was a little (very little) smarter on the second one and reamed out the sight to accept the 8-32 screws. So all is well with that one. The first one was milled in late 2016. The second in (I think) Jan 2017. Both are 8-32. For everyone's sake  hope the threads in the multi cut milling are now metric to match the DP Pro sights. 

My CZ 85 slide should be back this week so I checked with a couple expert resources for mounting guidance.

Leupold said, do not use loctite or at least use the weakest available.

Professional CZ gunsmith gurus with great reputation said. Clean holes & screws with extreme care, after you are sure they are perfect do it two more times. Use red loctite, wait about 12 hours. 

This is the second time (first time was on an automobile application) that I have been told to use red loctite on small parts. The auto folks (MGW shifters, very well thought of for expertise) told me that due to small surface area the red stuff does not make things crazy tough to take apart down the road. 

On 7/22/2017 at 11:02 PM, selecw said:

Keep us posted. As you get to 250, 500, 5000 etc 

Quick update - over 300rds down the pipe and still holding.   I'll do another 250 over the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know how close m7x4 screws are to 8-32, but on my cz multicut, 8-32 screws threaded in easily and tightened.  I used brass screws, as the softer threads will deform slightly under pressure, and so far they have held tight for several hundred rounds.