Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zhunter's African Safari 2005

zhunter

OK, here is the deal. I set off to Zimbabwe first, hoping to get a Kudu that I had seen last September, then off to South Africa's Kalahari Desert to go lion hunting.

The trip was great. Zimbabwe is a mess though. Politically and economically, it is what I believe to be beyond repair ( I have been going to Southern Africa since 1985 and have spent over 3 years in the region). There is presently no flour, sugar, coke or GAS in Zimbabwe. The currency has expiry dates on it, yes, I am not joking, the currency is being devalued so often it is a joke.

South Africa is in much better shape. But the flood of immigrants could very well suffocate the country before too long. The AIDS problem is beyond belief. 2 people I had worked with just last October have since died of AIDS! WE are talking epidemic here, not just a problem. The African Governments do not want to acknowledge the severity of the problem.

Now, that said. Lion hunting was very thrilling/scary! BY far the craziest thing I have ever done! And that is a long list. OH, BTW, I hunt with Archery equipment! The Lion twice was tracking us! The bush was very thick, and not really condusive to archery hunting, but I managed to get my shot on the very last day of the hunt. I have posted pics. I do not wish to offend anyone, so if not interested, please don't' look.

It was a great experience, and look forward to my next endeavor!

post-4953-1118158208_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1118158250_thumb.jpg

LMAO, at one point there were 3 PH's with rifles. Problem was, it looked like a freakin' Congo line stalking thru the bush! NOT very wise for sneaking up on a very cleaver cat! :blink:

In the end, it was just my PH and a cameraman and myself!

Nice Lion. Many congrats. With a bow no less. Got a wag on the age?

Did you get your Kudu?

I was reading Robert Ruarks Africa yesterday. I miss Africa terribly. I spent a lot of time there in the mid 90s. As soon as I retire its off to Kenya or Tanzania for good.

Nope, I did not get the Kudu. I was looking for a particular animal, and did not see that one, or any in that size range. I already have one that measures 52", so I am looking for a 55" or better. There are not many of those running around! I passed on many large animals that would have been great trophies, but I am at the point now that I am pretty picky about what I shoot.

Lion - the other other white meat!

:lol:

Actually, I had no idea that it was desirable to eat most predators. I was under the impression they weren't that tasty. I might have to add lion to my extremely short list of animals I will consider hunting (currently, only wild boar :)

Where did you hit her? Like I've told you before, I don't have the stones to hunt something that big w/ a wee little bow and arrow :) Did she just drop, or were there "concerns"???

Lion - the other other white meat!

:lol:

Actually, I had no idea that it was desirable to eat most predators. I was under the impression they weren't that tasty. I might have to add lion to my extremely short list of animals I will consider hunting (currently, only wild boar :)

Where did you hit her? Like I've told you before, I don't have the stones to hunt something that big w/ a wee little bow and arrow :) Did she just drop, or were there "concerns"???

It was a perfect heart shot and she ran about 50 yards and dropped. Took all of about 5 or 6 seconds. I actually have the whole thing on video!

Z, THE MASSA HUNTA'

I knew you were heading out to Africa to try catch that kitty... I was kinda' worried you were going to come back sans your strong hand! ;)

Good to have you back and congrats on a great hunt!!

Welcome back Jay!