Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone loaded up the 150g SWC yet?

himurax13

Hello all, I have loaded a couple different SWC profiles for the 9mm and the one thing that I have noticed is that the projectile has to be loaded extremely close to the shoulder. This often results in a very short OAL that can be problematic in some 9mm pistols. I haven't purchased any of these projectiles yet but it seems that ACME and Bayou carries them.

Has anyone loaded these up yet? What OAL are you using and what platforms are they being used on?

Edited by himurax13

1 hour ago, EngineerEli said:

Is there any benefit over a typical 147gr other than cleaner holes?

Wroooong. ;) 

I'm just now finishing up the first case of 3,000 150gr SWCs from Bayou. The holes aren't really any cleaner than any other 9mm projectile. A 147FP certainly leaves an identical tear in both USPSA cardboard and paper targets.

I load mine very long since my Tanfo's barrel has been reamed and will take anything that fits in my mags. Length is 1.155" to be precise. The lube groove is nearly exposed - I'm crimping about 1/8" ahead of the groove.

The reason I load them long is because these are loooong bullets, and stick back into the case much farther than a 147RN or FP that doesn't have a lube groove, and once you press a bullet back farther than .300" into a 9mm case the walls start to bulge as you seat your round.

They actually weigh 147 to 147.5 grains, and thus my load data has been identical what I needed to make PF with a 147 RN coated bullet.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Correct.

I've loaded the Bayou 150gr SWC out to 1.180 to avoid the case bulge. Wasn't worth the additional cost and trouble of loading only to perceive the same recoil and hole punch. 

Went back to 147gr

11 minutes ago, EngineerEli said:

Hmmm, maybe the cleaner holes is just in paper not the heavier cardboard that USPSA targets are made from..

Not in paper either. I've shot a lot of that too.

I'm telling you, just shoot 124/135/147 FP or RN instead. They all leave the same hole.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

55 minutes ago, 57K said:

I haven't run across any .355" 150 gr. SWCs lately, but guys who cast their own could easily use .357 - .358" 150s and size them to .356". 

fyi

http://www.bayoubullets.net/9mm-150-gr-swc-100-ct/

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/9MM-Lead-Cast-Reloading-Bullets?product_id=486

Memphis Mechanic, have you used the 126g SWC from Dardas Cast Bullets? Not only do they have a sharp shoulder that leaves a crisp, clean, hole on paper, cardboard, and paper plates, I have noticed that it makes a noticeably wider hole than most of the other 9mm projectiles, 147g Flat Points included. I have also not had any feeding issues with them.

The only issue I have is that Dardas Cast refuse to make coated bullets there for some reason or another.

Edited by himurax13

7 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

Memphis Mechanic, have you used the 126g SWC from Dardas Cast Bullets? Not only do they have a sharp shoulder that leaves a crisp, clean, hole on paper, cardboard, and paper plates, I have noticed that it makes a noticeably wider hole than most of the other 9mm projectiles, 147g Flat Points included. I have also not had any feeding issues with them.

The only issue I have is that Dardas Cast refuse to make coated bullets there for some reason or another.

No. Coated are so much friendlier to your lead exposure levels that I haven't shot any of the bare lead SWCs out there.

46 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

No. Coated are so much friendlier to your lead exposure levels that I haven't shot any of the bare lead SWCs out there.

But they don't make as much smoke. ;)

Sorry. Did you just claim that lead smokes less than coated? Hasn't been my experience at all, and with the right powders you don't notice the smoke with coated bullets.

Umm no, I stated that coated smokes less than hardcast...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Thanks, superduper! After I posted I came back and saw these casters mentioned, I have not tried either, but with the satisfaction I have with the SNS I probably won't and I shoot SNS coated in 3 calibers as of now.

Look guys, if you need to follow the herd mentality, that's you're call. Doesn't and never has worked for me as I could demonstrate with the number of different powders I have on the shelf, where conventional wisdom of my day dictated that I only needed Bullseye, Unique and 2400 with some acceptance for W231 and H110/W296.

If you don't experiment and learn things for yourself, your greatest contribution to threads like these will be repeating cliches.

Seriously, that was not at all helpful...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

MemphisMechanic was probably the most helpful. He probably had his barrels professionally reamed to load this profile long because my Manson Reamers will barely even scratch hard chromed barrels.

I believe that the powder coating probably keeps the shoulders from being as sharp as the hardcast versions so the difference between the holes of a 147g FP and the 150g SWC are nearly identical. That is useful information because I have spent many years using the 147g projectile in hardcast, moly, Hi-Tek, and Powder Coated and if there is no clear advantage then I will just stick with the 147's since they work fantastic on all of my different platforms.