Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between svi frame and sti frame?

billdozer

54 minutes ago, ScottieShootz said:

do you have an SVI gun?  I'd put the svi grip on it and make life easy.  If you have an STI gun, then I'd run the evo.  You can put the SVI grip on the STI frame as well. 

If I recall, the SVI Signature (?) grip and the PT EVO are very close, except the EVO has more "meat" in the grip safety where it meets the web of your hand between the thumb and first finger.  I've held the SVI and found that area isn't "deep" enough for me, and the EVO is a perfect fit.  As in all things, YMMV. 

All things considered, the SVI grip should fit on their frame, but if it were me I'd want the EVO, for my hands. 

2 hours ago, billdozer said:

I'm looking at metal grips. Speedshooters lists svi grips for svi pistols and grips for sti pistols. Or would an evo fit an svi frame?  Does anyone know what the difference is? 

I can't speak to SVI frames (I know that's what the OP is asking about), but I do know that the The EVO grip fit on my PT frame, without any fitting at all.  The EVO may not fit on STI or CK frames without some filing or machining, but if fitted properly it works great.  STI has different dimensions in different production runs, and mine is about .008" thicker than the EVO grip (which is made to closer tolerances).  My CK frame was .007 thicker than the EVO, and after having the frame machined the grip fits like a glove.  The SVI frame may have its own specs, too.  I believe SVI will sell their grip machined for different frames (although, again, production variances may cause problems with fitting anyway.  You don't want a metal grip loose on the frame, it should be tight). 

4 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

do you have an SVI gun?  I'd put the svi grip on it and make life easy.  If you have an STI gun, then I'd run the evo.  You can put the SVI grip on the STI frame as well. 

I do have an svi, but they dont have the aggressive grip in stock. And i was a little disappointed in svi's response to a request.

I order direct from svi, my problem was i wanted to buy a signature grip from them,  then have them fit it,  then refinish the whole gun. They weren't interested in doing it,  they just wanted sell a grip. So i got my panties in a wad over that,  now I'm trying to decide if i want to put an evo grip on it.  I can fit it myself,  but was thinking an all sv gun would be worth more.

8 minutes ago, billdozer said:

I order direct from svi, my problem was i wanted to buy a signature grip from them,  then have them fit it,  then refinish the whole gun. They weren't interested in doing it,  they just wanted sell a grip. So i got my panties in a wad over that,  now I'm trying to decide if i want to put an evo grip on it.  I can fit it myself,  but was thinking an all sv gun would be worth more.

I remember your other thread.  I'd still go all SVI to maintain a better value on the gun.  I love my PT evo, don't get me wrong. I'd just rather have an all SVI gun if I was going that route. 

Hello: Do you have an older SVI framed pistol? The older ones are different than the new ones. As for value, you won't get anymore for it if you do it or SVI does it if you do it correctly. It will take longer if SVI does it and they will do it the way they think it should be done. Lastly are you sure you like the heavy grips? I have seen more than one person install them then after a short time go back to a plastic grip. I do like the look and feel of the EVO PT grip. I just don't own one. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Fowlmouths said:

The Infinity frame is about .012" wider than the STI frame.

Putting an EVO grip on an Infinity would be like putting a Ford Motor in a Ferrari!

Really?  A close-tolerance grip precision machined from a single billet of stainless steel, in one piece instead of two.  How's that inferior?  Isn't it more a matter of personal choice? 

12 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Really?  A close-tolerance grip precision machined from a single billet of stainless steel, in one piece instead of two.  How's that inferior?  Isn't it more a matter of personal choice? 

I didn't say it was inferior.  It would just be stupid to put a EVO grip on a SVI!  Like putting a Ford Motor in a Ferrari. 

9 minutes ago, Fowlmouths said:

I didn't say it was inferior.  It would just be stupid to put a EVO grip on a SVI!  Like putting a Ford Motor in a Ferrari. 

The words you chose make it sound that way.. if you said put a Lamborghini motor in a Ferrari you wouldn't have been misunderstood.

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

Looking at both grips, I think they are investment cast.  I don't think they are machined from a billet of stainless.  Both grips are very nice and well machined, but they look like they start out as a rough casting.  The Evo fits my hand better.  I don't personally own them, my friend owns both. I have spent a fair amount of time drooling over them.

37 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Looking at both grips, I think they are investment cast.  I don't think they are machined from a billet of stainless.  Both grips are very nice and well machined, but they look like they start out as a rough casting.  The Evo fits my hand better.  I don't personally own them, my friend owns both. I have spent a fair amount of time drooling over them.

Wrong, SVI website 

Screenshot_20170303-220246.png

10 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Do you have an older SVI framed pistol? The older ones are different than the new ones. As for value, you won't get anymore for it if you do it or SVI does it if you do it correctly. It will take longer if SVI does it and they will do it the way they think it should be done. Lastly are you sure you like the heavy grips? I have seen more than one person install them then after a short time go back to a plastic grip. I do like the look and feel of the EVO PT grip. I just don't own one. Thanks, Eric

Its a 2007. So I'd say its older. I'm guessing it would take a regular sti grip? It has a plastic svi grip on it right now.

Hello: That will make your choice for the EVO grip easy then. It should be a bolt on with little fitting if any at all. If you decide in the future you don't like the metal grip it will be easy to sell it to anyone with a PT, STI or Cheely frame. Thanks, Eric

12 hours ago, Fowlmouths said:

Wrong, SVI website 

Screenshot_20170303-220246.png

The one I looked at is a few years old.  Maybe they changed it? I don't know.  How old is this update?  It says NEW!!!, to me, that constitutes a change they made. I am not cutting on the quality, just sharing my observations.  Maybe Ranger Trace can chime in, I'll bet he knows the answer.

Edited by bmiller

On 3/3/2017 at 9:25 PM, bmiller said:

All PT parts are 100% machined from raw stock. We do not use castings, forgings or MIM parts. 

Bill- Our grips will fit your SV Frame. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.