Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith recommendations for trigger job on M&P

Quirk

This is another request for recommendations given that I have been unable to contact Burwell to do my M&P. I had them do a gun in September of 2014 and it's great. But I've tried off and on now for months without replies to my emails to them, about doing a 2nd gun. I'd like a more or less identical set up, but expect that will be impossible with a totally different gunsmith. Which I accept now, given that I don't have a choice.

I'd read here about ATEi (in Michigan) and Ortiz Custom Guns (Pedro Ortiz) in Georgia, both as reasonable choices for a comp level trigger in an M&P 9 Pro.

Any others?

Thanks

Quirk

I bought a M&P few months ago - trigger was TERRIBLE.    :ph34r:

Bought an Apex Trigger package (Had a gunsmith install it)

and it brought pull down to 5.5 lbs (for carry).  I LOVE it.    :wub:

Apex also has a competition trigger (3 - 3.5 lbs, I believe).    :) 

Mine was all done at home, and features a 2.75lb trigger that is just a few mm's longer (from break until resetting) than my Tanfoglio's gorgeous single action. It runs CCI primers flawlessly.

There is no need for a 'smith at all in this platform, IMO.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Mine was all done at home, and features a 2.75lb trigger that is just a few mm's longer (from break until resetting) than my Tanfoglio's gorgeous single action. It runs CCI primers flawlessly.

Using Apex parts, or ?

Thank you for the replies. Sorry I didn't explain...its for IDPA SSP. I have Apex parts in one gun, works ok. But I need to keep the stock trigger for the SSP gun. No 'external' (obvious) alterations.

i have watched a few videos and read techniques on DIY trigger jobs.   I just don't have that much time, interest or skill to commit to doing it myself. 

The folks at ATEi seemed helpful and I'll probably give them a try...unless other proven gunsmith trigger job options are suggested?

Q

8 hours ago, Ten-X said:

I tried my own on a stock sear. Was amazing for day 1. On day 2 it started doubling. Any advice on what I did wrong???

no idea, but that's exactly why I have concluded I'm better writing checks than handling a file!  I have never accidentally written too much on a check!

I had a friend who tried working on his pistol...filing the sear and a few other things....and it went full auto on him.  He's just writing checks now, too...

Q

Neil Keller at Kustom Ballistics did great work on mine using all stock parts to stay compliant. I was referred to him by a seasoned S&W Rep that I get to shoot with a few timea a year.

He does all the polishing and tweaking inside plus adds a spot of weld to the outside of the trigger bar to keep travel 100% straight back and drills and taps a tiny hole for a set screw to manage pretravel. I think it was around $150 because my gun was super-dirty when I sent it to him...

2 hours ago, Quirk said:

no idea, but that's exactly why I have concluded I'm better writing checks than handling a file!  I have never accidentally written too much on a check!

I had a friend who tried working on his pistol...filing the sear and a few other things....and it went full auto on him.  He's just writing checks now, too...

Q

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you and your friend going that route. Not every race car driver needs to know how to rebuild an engine.

I'm very happy with Gene Morin (Oregon) M&P trigger jobs with all factory internals.
gmorin@dcwisp.net
And I really like the factory swivel trigger, I never liked the little pimple sticking out of the Glock trigger face. I wish Apex would make a flat face swivel trigger without the pimple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/3/2017 at 4:15 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

I've had striker energy issues with my reloads and CCI's, even with a more robust striker spring. Works perfect with Fed's. Did you do anything to keep striker energy up?

34 minutes ago, SF1911 said:

I've had striker energy issues with my reloads and CCI's, even with a more robust striker spring. Works perfect with Fed's. Did you do anything to keep striker energy up?

What press are you seating them in? They have to be below flush or they'll cause issues with the lightest weight springs.

Honestly, no. I'm running factory striker and a lighter striker spring. But one of the middle weight springs - I think it's a Wolff that's heavier than the APEX kit's spring. But I'm honestly unsure.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

15 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What press are you seating them in? They have to be below flush or they'll cause issues with the lightest weight springs.

Honestly, no. I'm running factory striker and a lighter striker spring. But one of the middle weight springs - I think it's a Wolff that's heavier than the APEX kit's spring. But I'm honestly unsure.

Using a RCBS Pro 2000. I'm also using a Glock 6 lb striker spring. I get about 1 misfire out of a 250 rounds with WW, and about 1 out of 150 with CCI.