Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited extended safety - Problem for lefties?

Rudukai13

Does the extended safety on the left side of the Elite Limited cause issues for left-handed shooters? It appears that it might get in the way of properly gripping the pistol for me...Not certain it would, just seems there might be that possibility.

Perhaps an odd question, but - Will the NON-extended ambi safety from one of the other Witness Elite models swap on to the Limited without too much additional gunsmithing?

I'm assuming you're talking about the oversized safety?
The non extended ambi safety will fit with little/no gunsmithing. If you change out the sear, then some fitting of the safety might be required. But generally no. I've got a few lying around I'd trade straight up for your extended safety.

Thank you for the info and the offer! I don't yet actually have a pistol to start trading parts from but I'll keep it in mind for when I actually have one. I'd rather have the symmetrical ambi safety since the oversized left side won't do much for me as a southpaw

Do you grip the gun so that your thumb is riding the safety, or does hand size or some other issue prevent that from working for you?

I can see the larger safeties being very easy to accidentally engage if your thumb is beneath the safety while shooting. Fortunately for myself, keeping my thumb atop the safety is the "oh this feels good" naturally ergonomic way to grip a Tanfo - to the point where I would swap to a wider ambi safety if I could.

(And yes, I'm a lefty)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'd grip the pistol with the thumb of my strong (left) hand riding on top of the safety (on the right side of the pistol). My concern is that with the exaggerated downward sweep of the safety on the left side of the pistol, my trigger (left index) finger might bump the safety during firing, if not get uncomfortably cut into by the edge of the oversized left safety

1 hour ago, Rudukai13 said:

I'd grip the pistol with the thumb of my strong (left) hand riding on top of the safety (on the right side of the pistol). My concern is that with the exaggerated downward sweep of the safety on the left side of the pistol, my trigger (left index) finger might bump the safety during firing, if not get uncomfortably cut into by the edge of the oversized left safety

I plan on modifying my Limited's extended thumb safety so that it does not dig into the top of my hand when shooting left handed. Basically I want it to be like one of the excellent xx11 type safeties with a taper providing clearance for the knuckle. As it comes, the safety is square and sharp at the bottom. 

Yeah - after watching Candice's (Twinkie's) video I can absolutely see that.

The Stock-series guns are really different and thinner, and come nowhere near the trigger finger:

IMG_0271.JPG

I think I'd be looking at reshaping the bottom of the safety like @Twinkie suggested.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

It sounds like swapping to one of the standard, symmetrical ambi safeties is a reasonable solution, and sounds like I'd have not much difficulty finding someone willing to trade me their symmetrical ambi safety for the oversized safety on a stock Limited. That's everything I need to know!

44 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

It sounds like swapping to one of the standard, symmetrical ambi safeties is a reasonable solution, and sounds like I'd have not much difficulty finding someone willing to trade me their symmetrical ambi safety for the oversized safety on a stock Limited. That's everything I need to know!

I will make that trade. My Stock 3 smaller ambitious for a Limited or Lim Pro biggie ambi. PM me and we can swap.

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm but as I noted a bit earlier in this topic I don't yet actually have a pistol to start trading parts from - Wanting to gather information on a potential purchase as much as possible before spending my money on something.

Considering what I learned about this, I will likely be purchasing a Limited in the next few weeks and would be looking to make a trade at that time. Just not quite yet :)

Edited by Rudukai13

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Do you grip the gun so that your thumb is riding the safety, or does hand size or some other issue prevent that from working for you?

I can see the larger safeties being very easy to accidentally engage if your thumb is beneath the safety while shooting. Fortunately for myself, keeping my thumb atop the safety is the "oh this feels good" naturally ergonomic way to grip a Tanfo - to the point where I would swap to a wider ambi safety if I could.

(And yes, I'm a lefty)

Am I glad....this thread has a beautiful timing.

Saturday, two days ago, I participated to a level III.

One stage was 8 poppers, weak hand only; being a right hander, I grab the pistol (left side safety only) and at each shot, the safety engaged; so it was "shoot/disengage....shoot/disengage....a PITA.

Back home that very evening, I ordered an ambidextrous safety from Eric, and the parcel is already in the mail.

And, I know, it is also a proper grip of the pistol problem;  since It is due to a sore left thumb, it is an issue that will be cured when it will rest on the right safety. 

My pistol is a LC and I shoot like Memphis M, with my thumb atop the safety (Eric shoots also that way).

Dan 

I think you'll be ok... my large hands leave room to spare. But I'm correctly handed so take for what it's worth.

821fd7ae442df91115c95971937ffed9.jpg

A proud mother would call the safeties... ergonomically challenged. It the size of the extended left hand safety makes up for some of the failings by means of excess. The right side is unremarkable.

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

I just received and installed the ambidextrous safeties.

One word of caution though : polish the inner surface in contact with the frame on both safeties; that will avoid a nice scratch which, fortunately, does not show when safety is off.

Update :

Not one but two words of caution.

The ambi safety is a drop in affair, yes, but it scratched the frame.

After a couple of mounting/dismounting/scratch, I checked the original one, left side only

The new safety is rough from casting; the old one is considerably thinned, a bit rough with the file work but polished afterwards.

So, here goes the grinder on the left side and, after some polishing of both sides, safety mounted.

I had to carefully sand the frame to remove the scratch left at the first fitting.