Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet getting dinged during loading

ShortBus

2011 open gun. Tried a couple different bullet profiles and still having this issue. Noticed a buddies limited gun does it too. Basically, if I shoot the gun and then unchamber the round that it just loaded (think ULSC) the nose of bullet has been hit hard against the bottom of the feed ramp. Happens with tuned SVI & STI mags as well as MBX. The very bottom of my feed ramp has been filed/milled/material removed some how, I guess for fitting purposes? Idk? But it looks like if I had that surface that's gone back it wouldn't mangle the bullets. 

Thoughts?

My short (1.14) do it as well. On single stack and Caspian High Cap. Both .40. 

Only notice it with other than jacketed bullets, no mark on jacketed bullets, combined with the fact that there's no setback leads me to believe they're not hitting hard enough to do any damage.

And I don't believe it's happening when the round is chambering. That round sits too high to hit the bottom of the feed ramp. It may be the second round down, during recoil, or being dragged forward while the round above it is chambering.

In any event, I've never been able to make it not do this, other than using FMJ bullets, but it's never caused an issue, so I moved on.

I think it is the magazine that bites the bullet. I believe I read a post on here explaining it. I noticed the same thing Yesterday with a Blue Bullet after ejecting a loaded round. Slight bite on the bullet. I dont remember if the thread pointed to a solution to the problem. I didnt think to check my STI mags to see if it does the same thing but It happened in my 2011 with an MBX mag yesterday.