Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Kydex PCC Magazine Pouches

Many of us are still experimenting with equipment for PCC. Mag pouches seems to be a missing piece of the puzzle, so I decided to make my own using Kydex. There are many many websites covering the tools and procedures needed to make your own Kydex pouches so I won't go too deep here. I will cover specifics of what I found to work, and the designs I am experimenting with.

Firstly, the items required include a Kydex press (home made from scrap wood, hinges and 2 sheets of foam), a PCC magazine with a few rounds inserted, a steel ruler and a sharp knife. Not shown are some clamps, a pair of heat-resistant gloves, the kitchen oven and an understanding wife.

PCC%20Pouch%2001_zpsuneswnnx.jpg

I chose to use 0.080"-thick Kydex sheet.

PCC%20Pouch%2002_zps8zywrmog.jpg

The first step is to determine where, relative to the magazine, the belt mount is going to go, and to tape a suitably-sized spacer (made from cardboard) on the magazine using blue painters tape. This will create space for the mounting hardware (in my case Chicago Screws securing an ELS Fork). Note the orientation of the magazine - I like my PCC magazines oriented with bullets DOWN (YMMV).

PCC%20Pouch%2004_zpsq7x8hlzl.jpg

PCC%20Pouch%2003_zpsdqxfasxy.jpg

PCC%20Pouch%2005_zpsvfcnqxuu.jpg

For the first few pouches, I suggest marking the Kydex with a pencil as a guide to placing the magazine.

PCC%20Pouch%2006_zps2wyxrxk5.jpg

PCC%20Pouch%2007_zps3dddhobi.jpg

You are ready to prepare the Kydex. Firstly, cut each sheet in half to get two 8" x 6" pieces (score with knife along the steel ruler, then snap over the side of a table). Next, place in the oven on a baking sheet (this is where the understanding wife comes in) at 350F for 5 minutes.

PCC%20Pouch%2008_zpsiiiehzy8.jpg

When it comes out, the Kydex should be floppy, like a piece of soft leather. Now, quickly before it cools off, wrap the sheet of Kydex (shiny side in) around the magazine like a taco. Experiment with placement so you get an appropriate level of retention. Lastly, close the Kydex press and secure it tight with a few clamps.

PCC%20Pouch%2009_zpspv4wgfje.jpg

The Kydex will take about 15 minutes to cool off. Once cooled, loosen the clamps and remove the pouch. If necessary, you can run water over it to accelerate cooling.

PCC%20Pouch%2010_zpsesth7k8k.jpg

PCC%20Pouch%2011_zpshor4qxej.jpg

Now you need to cut away all the scrap Kydex that is unwanted. How you do that depends on the tools available to you... I used a hacksaw followed by a Dremel with sanding drum. There is some creativity that comes into play here - I am still experimenting with balancing speed and retention, as you can see from the different designs below. Lastly, drill holes in the spacer pad area according to the mounting orientation you prefer, and attach the mounting hardware using Chicago Screws or similar.

PCC%20Pouch%2012_zpsogmmhikk.jpg

The designs below have various degrees of retention... there is decreasing retention from left to right, but all are still very quick to draw the magazine from. So far I have not had a magazine fall out.

PCC%20Pouch%2014_zpsso8zmabn.jpg

PCC%20Pouch%2015_zpsiib9qioq.jpg

Questions? Post 'em here :)

Edited by StealthyBlagga
5 hours ago, TxD said:

Where do you find the foam pieces ?   

The link is embedded in my post: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFV3MFC/ref=asc_df_B01LFV3MFC4657302?smid=A2EKOS6J7EIJEG&tag=shopz0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_mp_1233-20;14820991951892011810410070301008005&linkCode=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B01LFV3MFC . I went with the 1" thick variant.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Great post.  I early Christmas gifted myself all the stuff to do kydex (foam, kydex, drills screws, rivets, setter, etc.).  Built a magnum press out of some 1" plywood scrap I hauled home from work 25 years ago and have been saving for worthy projects.  I like working with kydex but definitely need to practice.  Have only made a couple of knives sheathed so far.  I will say that a $15 garage sale Craftsman scroll saw with appropriate blade is sweet for trimming projects down prior to sanding.  It's buddy, a 4X36" bench belt sander is really, really handy as well.  I had both of these tools squirreled away unused for years before breaking them out, blowing of the dust and cobwebs, and fitting them with a blade and belt to work kydex.  Now all I need is time.  My next projects are a holster and mag pouches for the pink Walther P-22 I won at a match last month that I am giving my 13 year old daughter for Christmas.  I am undecided if I am going to buy pink kydex or not, maybe red to go with her competition belt.