Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Did Uspsa Split From Ipsc?

TNK

Why does the green book have different rules for USPSA VS IPSC.  Are there matches that are strictly IPSC and not affiliated with USPSA?

We are a region of IPSC, we are part of IPSC. IPSC is the world wide governing body. USPSA is a regional governing body. Our rules follow the IPSC rules, but there are differnces in our rules to reflect the regional differences.

I apologize for not being more specific. I understand that USPSA is a region of IPSC. What I am interested in learning is how this organizationial relationship came about. As I glean from reading Patrick Sweeney's stories about the early days of IPSC, prior to 1984, American IPSC shooters were directly members of IPSC. When USPSA was formed, they become members of USPSA, which is affiliated with IPSC as one of its regions. Yet, USPSA has different rules, different targets, and, in the case of Production Division (the division in which I play), a different list of pistols that are eligible for this division. What I am seeking is a narrative of what happened circa 1984 to lead to these differences.

My request is largely for my own personal edification. I would like to know how we arrived at the current organization we enjoy today. If someone can recommend written material on the topic, please let me know.

I am curious about this too, Trevor. I first shot USPSA in 2001 & to me, there has always been a Production division as well as L-10 & 165 major.

I am curious as well about reasons for the very first split rules for IPSC/USPSA.

It seems the majority of non-competition shooters know are sport only as "IPSC" (or "is-pic" - I hear that often). It would be ideal if the IPSC rules could changed to conform to our current rules; a sort of re-unification of the sport. What do you think?

D.C. Johnson

It would be ideal if the IPSC rules could changed to conform to our current rules; a sort of re-unification of the sport.  What do you think?

D.C. Johnson

You want the rest of the world to conform to USPSA rules for re-unification? Don't you think that's a bit arrogant? If the USPSA wants to run their own show, why doesn't USPSA just quit IPSC and let another group handle IPSC in America? This would end all the rule arguments and the "not invented here" silliness.

<Moderator Mode>

Ahem...

Please allow me to remind you of the forum guidelines.

Politics

Policy or political debates of any kind are not welcome.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

USPSA vs IPSC

Keep this discussion to answering Trevor's question(s) please.

</Moderator Mode>

I can't give specifics as to why USPSA was founded or why the U.S. has different rules.

As I recall it, in a real general way, there was a time when the U.S. felt "we're the largest (most active) region in IPSC, we should have more influence on the rules than a region with 30 competitors."

I believe (again, this is from my foggy memory only) the establishment of USPSA was a sort of compromise-we're still part of the larger governing body but some rules reflect U.S. only "customs".

There are other regions that for legal reasons have different caliber rules for divisions, just as the U.S. changed some rules to reflect the 10 round magazine laws. The difference in targets is another example of basically a cultural difference between the U.S. and the rest of the world. We still think its o.k. to shoot at a target that a least sort of resembles a human figure, the rest of the word is shooting turtles, or ameba's or whatever.

I think since Micheal Voight has been USPSA president there has been an effort to get the rules of our region and those of IPSC at least closer together.

Al