Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will limited and open cease to exist in CA?

Deadcoyote

29 minutes ago, KrymSIX said:

We have this type of deal in MA too. It's why I'm preparing to get myself a Limited 10 setup because it's all I'll be able to use here. 

I could see a pd possibly heading over to a local competition and issuing a ton of citations to those who still have hi cap magazines. The whole idea of pre ban just irritates me. It should just be legal.

We tend to have several LEO that shoot competitions out here so my guess is that they will make "friendly" comments about the legality if it becomes an issue. I don't think LE will waste their time at an organized event; too many people with guns.  It would require too many resources, on a weekend no less, to do it.    

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

We tend to have several LEO that shoot competitions out here so my guess is that they will make "friendly" comments about the legality if it becomes an issue. I don't think LE will waste their time at an organized event; too many people with guns.  It would require too many resources, on a weekend no less, to do it.    

That's exactly the kind of place it makes sense - concentrated venue of lawbreakers.  More impact, especially if they want to make a point/example.  Don't tempt government to do stupid things - they will.

2 hours ago, mreed911 said:

That's exactly the kind of place it makes sense - concentrated venue of lawbreakers.  More impact, especially if they want to make a point/example.  Don't tempt government to do stupid things - they will.

That was my line of thinking. If some putz wanted to "make an example" they might target that venue to show "look how serious we are about this stupid new regulation"

It's my understanding that once the 10 round mag limit becomes law the USPSA affiliated clubs would have to limit open and limited to 10 per mag.  I suppose a non affiliated "action match" could try to ignore it.  Don't know how long that might work.

5 hours ago, mreed911 said:

They need to have a probable cause to do it. Having a shooting competition is not a reason to detain a great number of law abiding citizens. They would not be able to tell whether people are using their regular "hi-cap" mags or blocked "hi-cap" mags by looking. If there is a 10 round limit for the match then the only way they'd be able to tell would be to detain people, go through their stuff and load up their mags one by one. I can think of a number of Constitutional reasons where it would not be feasible without risking a lawsuit.

20 minutes ago, tanks said:

They need to have a probable cause to do it. Having a shooting competition is not a reason to detain a great number of law abiding citizens. They would not be able to tell whether people are using their regular "hi-cap" mags or blocked "hi-cap" mags by looking. If there is a 10 round limit for the match then the only way they'd be able to tell would be to detain people, go through their stuff and load up their mags one by one. I can think of a number of Constitutional reasons where it would not be feasible without risking a lawsuit.

That or listen to the number of shots fired, identify those folks, and "pull the trigger" after the match en masse.  All kinds of ways for stupid to reign.

Likely?  No.  But folks have allowed their lawmakers to pass this stuff and remain in office (and this is just the tip of the iceberg of stupid things our legislators do), but I digress...

5 hours ago, mreed911 said:

3 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

That was my line of thinking. If some putz wanted to "make an example" they might target that venue to show "look how serious we are about this stupid new regulation"

SMH

50 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

That or listen to the number of shots fired, identify those folks, and "pull the trigger" after the match en masse.  All kinds of ways for stupid to reign.

After the ban goes in effect there will be 11 shots fired (once 10 after that max), max in USPSA sanctioned matches. So, there won't be any way to identify anyone. Not to mention, unless there is steel I don't see anyone firing more than 8 per array anyway. Anyone firing more than the 11 rounds would get procedurals, even LEOs that are exempt.

1 hour ago, ARy said:

If you don't think those are probable scenarios, you've got your head in the sand.

Probable cause - At our local club, many southern California law enforcement agencies pay for a squad of their people to shoot for "training... team building... etc." - so, they're on the clock.

You see what that could lead to?

The fact that LEOs are at the event is not a probable cause if the match at that point is limited to 10 rounds for all divisions and they can't observe anyone shooting more than ten rounds. Not to mention I have a feeling they would be unwelcome for any matches even if there was a probable cause and they acted on it. I would put forward a motion to ban all LEOs from participating at our club matches, and I am sure a number of CA clubs would do the same. They are private events and can be discriminatory, heck could require to be member of the club to participate and not allow any LEOs for membership.

The pushback from active shooting competition community would be considerable I think.

While anything is possible, most LEO's, at least the numerous I know, feel as I do, that every God fearing, law-abiding citizen should be armed (trained and proficient with firearms) as he or she sees fit, and that the magazine capacity restriction laws are stupid. There are numerous examples of armed citizens aiding LEO's and citizens. The day California LE, at least locally to me, enforces these stupid laws, instead of hunting down gangsters and other criminals, I will pull the ejection handle, for a state less ignorant. It astounds me how our electorate feels the need to make criminals out of law-abiding, good people. Meanwhile they are giving real crooks passes with reduced sentences and watering down the laws on the books. I could go on, but won't. And I apologize in advance if I've violated any forum rules. 

I would hope we don't become so ignorant as to ban law enforcement officers from shooting events on the bases that they are law enforcement officers.  The police didn't make the laws buy they are tasked to enforce the laws .  Instead residents of California or any other state with similar laws  should organize and work to vote in somebody that will repeal these useless laws. 

We have to stop the Division that is going on .

Laszlo

Similar question to buying standard capacity mags in Nevada and driving back into Cali. Are there going to be LEO pulling over cars with Cali license plate leaving Cabelas in Nevada? Sounds absurd BUT we're getting used to that in the laws that are being passed.