Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S & W 1911 Opinions On Buying

pat701

I am thinking about picking up a S&W 1911. I fondled one at the gun shop, the fit and finish looked good. Trigger was light and smooth. Price was around $650 in stainless. Then dealer showed me the Doug Koening traget 1911 it ran around $850. The trigger was lighter and smoother then the standard S&W1911.

But i didn't care for the squared competition speed trigger feel. What is the purpose of the squared speed trigger. Also i see from the posts on this and other gun fourms that the pistol is reliable, but there has been no mention of the accuracy for this pistol. What size groups should i expect at 25 yards on a sand bag rest with factory ammo? The $650-$700 price is about all i can afford right now. And my wife will still kill me when i get it. My eye's are 50 years old and 2' to 2 & 1/2' groups out of this pistol would make me very happy.

Im just as curious as you are about the overall quality of the S&W 1911. I vaguely remember seeing an article in something like American Handgunner back last summer on the accuracy of the S&W 1911. I will try and search around for the magazine. If I can find it, I will scan the article and post it.

I won one of the scandium frame versions at Area 2 last year. Zero malfunctions out of 5-600 rounds. Very smooth and well built. I'm very pleased with it. Never really shot it for groups, just enough to make sure it was sighted in. No problem on plates at 40 yards though.

• 2 months later...
I am thinking about picking up a S&W 1911. I fondled one at the gun shop, the fit and finish looked good. Trigger was light and smooth. Price was around $650 in stainless. Then dealer showed me the Doug Koening traget 1911 it ran around $850. The trigger was lighter and smoother then the standard S&W1911.

But i didn't care for the squared competition speed trigger feel. What is the purpose of the squared speed trigger. Also i see from the posts on this and other gun fourms that the pistol is reliable, but there has been no mention of the accuracy for this pistol. What size groups should i expect at 25 yards on a sand bag rest with factory ammo? The $650-$700 price is about all i can afford right now. And my wife will still kill me when i get it. My eye's are 50 years old and 2' to 2 & 1/2' groups out of this pistol would make me very happy.

I had the opportunity a few years ago to be able to shoot at the S&W Factory for approx 1 year while I was going to school up in Springfield. While I was there, I was able to shoot most of their product line. In my opinion, the revolvers and 22's, S&W is hard to beat, but the autos, including a Performance center 45 were horrible compared to my pretty much stock Kimber. I have recently talked with owners of some of their newer autos and shot a couple and they are incredible improved. Just my 2 cents.

Adam

I've got a S&W PC1911 in black stainless and I am very impressed with it. Ran a couple hundred rounds through it on its innagural run and had zero problems. Granted the PC guns have a lot of hands-on assembly involved, but from what I've heard of the basic S&W 1911, most everybody has been happy and without regrets. There were some problems with early production guns where the safety wouldn't release but those problems have apparently been addressed in current production.

The external extractor on the S&W model should be of little concern. S&W has been using external extractors on all their autoloaders and has years of experience with them. I don't think I've heard any people mention extraction problems.

S&W has reports of very good customer service, and their guns come with a lifetime warranty. If you have a problem with the gun S&W will send you a pre-paid fedex label so it doesn't even cost you a nickel to send it back for warranty work should it need it. I don't know turnaround time, but IIRC it's been reported as less than 2 weeks.

Ultimately the S&W 1911 gives you a lot of gun for the money. I don't think you would be dissapointed.

I wish they would make an affordable hi-cap .40, with all the bells & whistles! Limited ready, right out of the box. Oh yeah...and 4 20rd. mags come with it! Right, that'll happen. Not.

Sorry for the thread drift. I've only heard good things about the S&W 1911's. Reliable and accurate. But I agree with EricW, and I finally picked up a Baer P-II. It's worth the extra ducats, IMO. Best single-stack 1911 I've ever shot.

Larry

nvmichael,

If you really want to buy a S&W, I'll sell you mine. At least you'll be getting one with a magwell, a decent trigger and a working extractor. I'll even give you my spare extractor.