Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Limited .40 for shooting limited? Is it a good gun?

LeviSS

I've been looking for a limited gun for a while now.  I'm going back and forth on the CZ TS40 and the Tanfo Limited 40.

My main concern is reliability.  Is the Limited reliable?  I've read that the TS is pretty solid out of the box, but I've read kinda spotty stuff about the Limited... although it was several years old.

It seems parts are much more readily available than they were even a few years ago.  What upgrades are needed on the Limited?  The TS seems to have a better trigger out of the box and needs basically nothing.  I don't need or want a super light trigger, just crisp.

The Limited only comes with one mag, and mags with extended base pads are kinda pricey.  TS comes with 3 mags.

Even though the TS seems more ready out of the box, I'm still drawn to the Limited.  I like that it has better checkering and shares the grip size with the Tanfo production models (I think).

Anyway, what are your thoughts and experiences competing, shooting, modifying, etc with the Tanfo Limited?

Edited by LeviSS

Mine has ran fine. Haven't used it in a lot of matches since I mostly shoot production. I like that it is basically the same frame as my Stock II. I can't say too much on reliability since I've only got a 1-2k through it. Although it's near identical to a Stock II/III & Limited Pros which have proven track records. Only difference is you are shooting major ammo though it.

I'd buy a Limited before a TS for the checkering alone. 

The limited is the exact same gun as a stock 2, but single action only and slightly longer  barrel with dust cover drilled and tapped for optic or thumb rest.

The major BENEFIT of SA only is the trigger can get the normal polish job and with stronger hammer spring still be light.  I have a Match in 40sw and it's never missed a beat -except when I did something silly -oops.  I swapped slides around and accidentally mixed a VERY cut eg light firing pin return spring with a strong hammer spring and stuck the FP foreward then snapped its tip slamming in a mag. 

Henning had a custom spring wound for 40sw major (10 3/4 iirc).  my match can run 200gr major with recoil that feels like factory 124gr in a glock, the higher weight / heavier slide of the limited will damp that down further.

They are GOOD GUNS. Just a few hours of polishing, tuning and 50$ of springs make them awesome. The extreme edge guys that want zero reset can get that from Patriot Defense too.

I like how mine handles. Reloads great and magwell works for me. Mag release is great size spring is stiffer than I like so you can cut a coil or two off To make it easier. The only thing I've changed on this gun are longer firing pin, reduced firing pin spring, guide rod, and recoil spring   Trigger is great to me out of the box after adjusting the screws.

Edited by Moller72

I have been shooting with the Elite Limited and put approx 20,000 round through it with no single problem. Polished the internals, installed an extended FP, a trigger spring and a sear spring from CGW. A 11lb recoil spring works good although the brass flies miles and ends up in a next town.

This gun is super reliable in my experience.

Quality-wise, the TS will be superior to the Tanfo. You can never tell what will be wrong with a Tanfo until you get it and examine it closely and tear it down.Some parts of the Tanfo are just ..rough. I went from a .40 Match (old style, non-rail dust cover with Supersight cut) to a Limited, to a TS, then to CZ Standard IPSC (deal I couldn't refuse, was just going to shoot the .40 Match again) then back to a Limited. The Limited fits my hand better than the TS, which has a wider beaver-tail. The Limited is closer to an SP-01 grip. The TS has a superior trigger.

Edited by pivoproseem

Both my 40s (s2 and Match) can fed full length ammo.

5 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

Do the .40s suffer from the same short chamber problems of the 9's?  How long can you load?

Did you guys get it reamed?  Will it feed longer rounds?

Mine will take 1.20" +.  I have used 10mm mags with long .40 but the  mags swell when loaded to capacity so I had no luck with that.  My guns run just fine at factory length with standard .40 mags.   Extractors break between 5000-7000 rounds.  Have spares tuned and ready to go.

I have the Limited and the TS so I can tell you each has it's advantages and it's drawbacks.

TS Strengths:

-sub 2# trigger out of the box

-with CZC springs/followers/base pads mags hold 21 reloadable with no fuss

-solid, heavy tight gun

-fixed rear sight makes a great place to rack the slide

TS Weaknesses:

-cheesy waffle iron checkering on frame

-cycles best with SAAMI length rounds with jacketed/plated bullets (most lead bullets must be loaded really short and take some work to make reliable)

-cheesy plastic mag well

EAA Limited Strengths:

-aggressive checkering on front and rear strap

-adjustable rear sight (if you like them)

-dead sexy looks :wub:

-drilled and tapped for thumb rest/optics

-eats a variety of loads/bullets/lengths (can even use 10mm mags and load longer than 1.2")

EAA Limited Weaknesses:

-4#+ trigger out of the box

-20 rounds with Henning pads/springs/followers (21 if tuned)

-slightly less cheesy aluminum factory mag well (Henning's is much better)

I go back and forth on which I like better :wacko: