Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

range back packs

wingnut

Hello: Look at the Shooters Connection one as well. The Double Alpha packs are heavy just on there own. The GSP packs are kinda a mixed setup. If you can actually look at them in person you will be able to tell what works best for you. I have gone to a light backpack with an removable insert. Still not the best setup for me yet but I am working on it. Thanks, Eric

I have the GPS Handgunner backpack (not the "tactical" model). I've been using it for over a year and am very happy with it. Only one complaint I can think of is there's no pouch for a water bottle. Otherwise it's great. Holds a lot of stuff and has a lot of pockets. I immediately removed that dumb foam thing for holding the guns and just use gun rugs. That way I can fit more stuff in the bottom compartment.

Find a Bass Pro or Cabelas close to you. In the fishing sections you will find "tackle box" back packs. They offer a lot of room with compartments that shooters will find useful and they are much cheaper than "shooting" back packs. I have been using a $39 backpack from Bass Pro for the last two seasons and it has held up well. It has a built-in cooler on top which is invaluable in the summer months and the large bottom section gives me plenty of room for pistol,  ammo boxes, eyes and ears, etc. There are plenty of pockets on the side for tools and spare parts.

6 hours ago, Flash74 said:

Find a Bass Pro or Cabelas close to you. In the fishing sections you will find "tackle box" back packs. They offer a lot of room with compartments that shooters will find useful and they are much cheaper than "shooting" back packs. I have been using a $39 backpack from Bass Pro for the last two seasons and it has held up well. It has a built-in cooler on top which is invaluable in the summer months and the large bottom section gives me plenty of room for pistol,  ammo boxes, eyes and ears, etc. There are plenty of pockets on the side for tools and spare parts.

Great Idea.... love to repurpose something that has a bigger market and competition, making it less $$$

G

One thing I've noticed since switching to the GPS backpack from a normal range bag is that when I'm geared up, I have a tough time slinging the backpack over my shoulder because it keeps hanging up on my mag pouches. 

With a regular range bag and an adjustable shoulder strap, I could carry the bag so that it would hang below my belt and pouches. 

Hello: The Wild River stuff is pretty nice but a little pricey. I have one of their small bags for fishing and walking a stream. They have some cool ideas with lights and the orange inside makes finding stuff a lot easier. I am using a small backpack that can convert into a sling bag. Thanks, Eric

• 9 months later...
17 hours ago, Raider26 said:

I see a lot of the DAA medium at the indoor shoots I attend. I think the large one would be a little bulky in the lane area compared to the medium

The medium is actually quite big but it does fit in the overhead bin on an airplane. I carry it on when I travel for matches.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Raider26 said:

Well, I managed to get my wife to buy me one for my birthday, now I just have to fill it up with shooting gear!

if you are like me, that won't take long. I usually go through mine every week or two looking to see what i dont need for the day and try to lighten the load a little.

5 hours ago, Mountbkr said:

if you are like me, that won't take long. I usually go through mine every week or two looking to see what i dont need for the day and try to lighten the load a little.

I've had the same broken down range bag for 3 years. I can't wait to use this at my match tomorrow!