Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Limited...could It Work?

Unleashed

Simple physics.  If a gun is shorter and weighs 2/3rds as much, it has to recoil 50% more.  Nobody but you "thinks" alloy frames are as controlable as steel ones, dude, with the same ammo, beyond about  7 yds, in .45.  :-)

Uh, can you explain the physics and math on that? Recoil is based on gun weight and barrel length and projectile weight and powder gas volume and pressure, but I don't think it neatly boils down to one number like 50%.

50% felt difference, no problem. 50% by the numbers? that's what I'd like to see.

I think I will take a stab at shooting limited with my Glock 17. It wouldnt hurt. I will just have different mags and different set up for limited. It should be a good challenge.

I practice with an alloy framed 9mm and it is every bit as "hard" to handle as 170 factor .45 loads in a steel Gov't model. 

I am not sure how you are replicating the recoil of a full power .45 with an alloy framed 9mm. I shot an alloy framed single stack .45 at the nationals last year and I felt that the pistol was just as controllable as any steel gun. It swung alot better too. I am curious as to how you came to this conclusion, because I am thinking about building more alloy framed guns.

Simple physics. If a gun is shorter and weighs 2/3rds as much, it has to recoil 50% more. Nobody but you "thinks" alloy frames are as controlable as steel ones, dude, with the same ammo, beyond about 7 yds, in .45. :-)

where did you say the gun was shorter? :huh:

the only way to replicate the feel of 170 power factor 45s is to shoot 170 power factor 45s in the gun that you intend to use..an alloy framed 9mm commander isnt going to kick anywhere near the same "feel" as a steel 5 inch 45..the 9mm is going to be sharper and louder.. ;)

On the contrary, the alloy-framed 9mm gun I shot with ammo that chronoed at 145PF felt 49.33456% softer than my all-steel 1911 with ammo at 172PF. I can give y'all my calculations (and how I wired the sensors to my body) to support it but my fingers are a bit sore from all the typing. :P:ph34r:

On the contrary, the alloy-framed 9mm gun I shot with ammo that chronoed at 145PF felt 49.33456% softer than my all-steel 1911 with ammo at 172PF.
something isnt right here. when i tried that, it felt 50.11498% softer. :lol:

From this discussion I can assume that no one would give up major scoring to gain a slightly softer shooting gun and to go from 18 to 22 rounds in the magazines.

Does this mean that the V (Power) of the DVC is a mute point because no one can shoot that much faster and that much more accurate to justify scoring minor?

From this discussion I can assume that no one would give up major scoring to gain a slightly softer shooting gun and to go from 18 to 22 rounds in the magazines.

Does this mean that the V (Power) of the DVC is a mute point because no one can shoot that much faster and that much more accurate to justify scoring minor?

The rounds deal isn't that big of a deal. The softer shooting doesn't matter much when you reach a certain point. The big deal is partials and the chances you take when you drop points. Yea, I can shoot minor a bit faster, but minor mistakes cost you a lot more when you are dropping all those point. So your style of shooting has to change. If it really worked well, some big dog (not Burkett) would be doing it regularly, not just on a lark.

Think of it this way.

If you can "justify" every point you drop by the speed you shoot and move then minor can work for you. And if you can shoot A's faster using minor ammo with 100% consistency then there should be no reason to batter yourself shooting major ammo. ;)

One of the best things about 9mm is CHEEP AMMO. And cheep ammo translates to skill (as long as you practice right.) Reloading is a big hassle to some and others just don't have space to put up a press like a Dillion.

I know in IPSC minor cal. is much harder to win with (when I shot IPSC back in 1990 or so, I made class 'A' using a P-35. Once I hit 'A' it was very hard to win against the good .45 men. Just one slip and ops....) It's just the socre/time thing with the power factor makes misses more expensive.

In IDPA it's not so bad. ESP is the 9mm/.40 1911 guns (mines a Springfield Armory 9mm) and the scoreing is set up to force more accuracy. So minor cal. does not hurt so much.)

I have shot minor Limited on the club level with a G34 (23 rounds) and have done quite well. Not to say I would do it on a Major match level. It was fun and cheep. If there are any questions in your mind about doing it, Just do it and find out for your self. It's the only real way to test all these theries.

I have taken my open gun, (38 sup sti) removed the slide, red dot, and

put a stock slide and bearel on it and am shooting limited with it in

minor, 38 sup. I have the same triger pull, grip and feel, don't have

to buy new mags or anything and am having a great time. It does shoot

softer, is still very fast and is just a lot of fun. And to me, that's what

this sport is all about.

Gene

• 1 month later...

I also agree. I recently traded into a SVI 5" limited gun in 38 super that is accurate and well built. I loaded up some minor 127 PF loads and have been using it for steel. Now I would use it for limited as I am comfortable with the gun. Now I have also purposefully loaded a SVI in 40SW to minor as I have a minor 40SW load that I use for IDPA and absultly love. Now I am not a very comptetive shooter due to my skill level, but I am having fun :-)