Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet diameter 9mm

regpark

Do you guys see much difference between .355, .356 and .357 ? I had placed a big order from Eaggleston and didn't think much of it but had ordered .357, which im not sure if ive ever tried beyond .356 before so not sure how well they would work in my glocks. I think they recommend the thicker dia... but may depend on the gun.

For most modern autos its a matter for functioning and chamber.

Some chambers are still in spec. but tighter and can cause problems.

One of my 40's won't shoot anything but .400 bullets the others are fine up to .402

so as said earlier depends on your pistol.

Good fortune with them.

im only shooting these right now in a G17 with KKM barrel, and G43 with stock barrel so may need to just slug the barrels... which ive never done before. ive tried contacting Eaggleston to see if i could switch the order to .356 but ive yet to hear back.

Edited by regpark

Slugging a barrel is easy. Wooden dowel, pure lead slug slightly larger than bore, egg type sinkers for fishing work well, little oil, drive it through, measure. Whole lot of people never bother, I've slugged four of my five 9mm barrels.

Mine and most 9mm barrels I've read about slug .3555-.356. Some casters size as big as .359". If you can change your order without cost do it, if not, personally I'd try a few, trade or sell if they don't work out.

6 hours ago, Beef15 said:

Slugging a barrel is easy. Wooden dowel, pure lead slug slightly larger than bore, egg type sinkers for fishing work well, little oil, drive it through, measure. Whole lot of people never bother, I've slugged four of my five 9mm barrels.

Mine and most 9mm barrels I've read about slug .3555-.356. Some casters size as big as .359". If you can change your order without cost do it, if not, personally I'd try a few, trade or sell if they don't work out.

This.

It was one of the first things I did to my Stock III.IMG_1975.JPG

My favorite gunsmith says that if you want an accurate number use a pin gauge, most folks read large when slugging. 

I can not debate the point but so far the guy has been right on all other gun stuff he has told me/done for me. 

Back to the original post, the book "The Glock in competition" is really worth reading for just the 'how we made barrels go ka-boom' testing info. 

My favorite gunsmith says that if you want an accurate number use a pin gauge, most folks read large when slugging. 

I can not debate the point but so far the guy has been right on all other gun stuff he has told me/done for me. 

Back to the original post, the book "The Glock in competition" is really worth reading for just the 'how we made barrels go ka-boom' testing info. 

Curious how one finds the groove diameter with a pin gauge?

I've read accounts of wooden dowels wedging between slug and barrel very tight. That's the only negative I know of.

There may be some bores that require great force. I've only done a few, but never took much force, most only starting, had one remained stiff the whole way through.

I start with an undersized slug, then smash it on the bench until it is barely over bore.

5 hours ago, bandw1dth said:

I've read several times that it's a bad idea to use a wooden dowel to drive it through, and that a brass rod should be used. Thoughts?

Well, like most of us I'd bought a squib rod while ordering a few things from either Brownells or Shooters Connection a few years back.

So I use a brass rod, not a dowel.

good news, was able to get in touch with Eaggleston and canceled my order. i realized that i still have a lot of 9mm projectiles left (well over 2000) so will go through these first before placing another order. I was worried about the election that i had rushed that order and didn't even check to see how much i currently had.