Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Ultra FS 9mm for SS?

41mag

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I watched a youtube video on the 1911 extracter tension and decided to test mine like it showed.

It held a fired case but wouldn't hold a factory federal round,

I pulled it out and bent it a little (more tension). It now holds the factory round.

I will test tomorrow, fingers crossed. 

OK...couldnt find any WWB but got some PMC 115gr ammo. It cronoed about the same as my reloads PF wise.

But it seems to run without failures to extract. I shot four full 10 rd mags while alternating with full mags of my above mentioned reloads. Not a one of my reload mags didn't have a failure to extract. So it seems the problem is my reloads.

What could be wrong with them to cause this issue? I can't find anything with the dial calibers. The PMC OAL is longer at 1.155.

Going to load some more and run thru the Glock. I ran one 10rd mag thru the Glock and it ran just find.

Thanks for any help and direction in this matter.

I did start looking at the head stamp on the cases that failed to extract to see if there was a theme going on. but there was no one specific brand.

13 minutes ago, 41mag said:

OK...couldnt find any WWB but got some PMC 115gr ammo. It cronoed about the same as my reloads PF wise.

But it seems to run without failures to extract. I shot four full 10 rd mags while alternating with full mags of my above mentioned reloads. Not a one of my reload mags didn't have a failure to extract. So it seems the problem is my reloads.

What could be wrong with them to cause this issue? I can't find anything with the dial calibers. The PMC OAL is longer at 1.155.

Going to load some more and run thru the Glock. I ran one 10rd mag thru the Glock and it ran just find.

Thanks for any help and direction in this matter.

I did start looking at the head stamp on the cases that failed to extract to see if there was a theme going on. but there was no one specific brand.

the slide velocity is different between a 115 grain load at 135 pf and a 147 grain load at the same power factor. this could be enough for the difference you are experiencing.

that said on my wife's gun we had a case head separation (due to some crap stepped brass) that tweaked the extractor a tiny bit. I re adjusted it and it would pass all the extractor tests but would still have failures to extract, oddly more for her than when I shot it. I replaced the extractor with an after market one (ed brown) and it has been perfect since.  

Just ran two mags thru the Glock...perfect.

I did fail to mention that these reloads once in awhile don't go to slide lock on the last round, I assume a lighter recoil spring will cure this and that its not related to the extraction problem.

11 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

that said on my wife's gun we had a case head separation (due to some crap stepped brass) that tweaked the extractor a tiny bit. I re adjusted it and it would pass all the extractor tests but would still have failures to extract, oddly more for her than when I shot it. I replaced the extractor with an after market one (ed brown) and it has been perfect since.  

I have thought about just replacing the extractor, but less so now that I've seen it work with the factory PMC's. How hard is it to properly fit a new one? Something I could do myself with a little youtube help?

When searching thru my gun room for the Glock mags they were found with a large container of 9mm reloads. These were what I had reloaded for the Glock to have a go at production several years ago. FMJ and no data. But they run thru the RIA without FTEX. Did still have failure to lock slide on last shot.

This just seems weird.

I haven't bumped up the charge yet, maybe I should, just can't wrap my head around that as the reason for FTEX,s. Slide lock, yes. Sooty case, yes.

Thanks Mike

umm...Just fired the last 5 of 50 of the factory PMC's. The ones that's been running. Well the slide locked back on the last round and guess what, the last fired case was laying on the follower!

Is it possible my problem is not extraction? But ejection? As stated earlier the ejection is on the weak side. I don't see how a case left on top of the mag could ever be rechambered thou, it would most likely stove pipe.

The extractor must be letting loose early in the cycle.

So much for the factory ammo test, box of 50 and it failed on round number 50! I guess that is good. If it was going to fail on round 51 I would of never known and would of remained under the impression all was good with that ammo!

Im going to start shooting up those FMJ reloads I found and if I have one more failure Im going to replace the extractor.

3 hours ago, 41mag said:

Just ran two mags thru the Glock...perfect.

I did fail to mention that these reloads once in awhile don't go to slide lock on the last round, I assume a lighter recoil spring will cure this and that its not related to the extraction problem.

I have thought about just replacing the extractor, but less so now that I've seen it work with the factory PMC's. How hard is it to properly fit a new one? Something I could do myself with a little youtube help?

When searching thru my gun room for the Glock mags they were found with a large container of 9mm reloads. These were what I had reloaded for the Glock to have a go at production several years ago. FMJ and no data. But they run thru the RIA without FTEX. Did still have failure to lock slide on last shot.

This just seems weird.

I haven't bumped up the charge yet, maybe I should, just can't wrap my head around that as the reason for FTEX,s. Slide lock, yes. Sooty case, yes.

Thanks Mike

Fitting the new extractor was not hard at all, there are lots of videos on line on how to do it. the only thing I didn't do is blend it bin with the rear of the slide, the replacement ones are a bit longer in the back to be able to be blended with any slide so they stick out the back just a bit. this is a competition gun for us so I just left it as I didn't want to refinish the back of the slide.

I have a RIA Tactical 2 9mm which as far as I can tell is the same thing as the Ultra and they just renamed it some time after I got mine. Like you I also happened upon mine at a gun show and got a good deal on it :). Although that's interesting that yours has a ramped barrel, mine doesn't.

Mine has functioned well with every different kind of my reloads that I've tried in it so far. And it locks back even with the factory 12# spring.

Instead of going crazy trying to figure out the issue why don't you contact RIA and have them take a look. I had an issue with mine at first with the rear sight, and maybe something else I don't remember, and RIA was good about fixing it. They sent me a shipping label and I had it back in a few weeks. 

Only other issue with mine is the mags were hitting the ejector so I just relieved the bottom of the ejector.

Haven't done any other mods to mine besides swapping out the grips for slim VZs and some skateboard tape on the front strap. 

13 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

contact RIA and have them take a look

Ill check into that, thanks

Ive ran 2 types of reloads and 2 types of factory and they all do the same thing to different degrees.

23 hours ago, 41mag said:

umm...Just fired the last 5 of 50 of the factory PMC's. The ones that's been running. Well the slide locked back on the last round and guess what, the last fired case was laying on the follower!

Try this, load one round, take the mag out and fire

did the round eject, stovepipe, or fall out the magwell,

I'm guessing the extractor has little or no tension, and fired cases as they were extracting, was being held on the extractor by the round below it in the mag. By removing the mag, the extracted case has nothing to hold it in place other than the extractor

Not an RIA but Kimber 9mm. I bought a used one and a shooting buddy a new one. Mine came with a 17 lb mainspring and ran great with some very light loads. His displayed the same issues as yours including failing to lock the slide back on the last round. We put in a lighter mainspring (can't remember the weight) and those problems went away. YMMV.

Stock recoil spring on the ROCK Ultra FS is listed at 12lb.  Colt lists their 9mm's at 14#.  Mine was flawless with the stock spring, but I swapped it out for a Wolff 10#.  It still runs 100%, but the recoil seems even softer.  I've heard of shooters using 8#, but I'm not going that low.

Revisit your extractor, check the rake angle of the hook.  Check the case rims of your reloads to see thwt you are not deforming them while reloading. 

I would bet an awful lot of money that your extractor needs a lot more tension.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty satisfied with my RIA so far, swapped out the mainspring for an 18 and recoil spring for a 10lb along with a good bit of polishing.

aa3c3fa02106cc867c8ecc9e76f64b37.jpg

Trigger is still a bit creepy but that's the stock internals. Going to shoot it for a bit over the next month and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one. Mine is roll marked tactical II, even though I bought it just the spring after the naming change. Doesn't have a ramped barrel.

My only issue with it is stemming from magazines-- the followers of my metalform mags occasionally are getting stuck under the slide lock, which doesn't lock the slide back and makes the magazines stick inside the gun when it runs empty. I have to pull the magazines out manually.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I have one. Mine is roll marked tactical II, even though I bought it just the spring after the naming change. Doesn't have a ramped barrel.

My only issue with it is stemming from magazines-- the followers of my metalform mags occasionally are getting stuck under the slide lock, which doesn't lock the slide back and makes the magazines stick inside the gun when it runs empty. I have to pull the magazines out manually.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had the same thing happen with my 9mm Trojan. A new slide stop fixed the problem.

Just now, Gooldylocks said:

I was wondering about that, or if it would be possible to just relieve the slide stop a small amount? Did you go to an aftermarket one or just an STI replacement?

STI sent me a new one under warranty. 

Your followers are slipping up above the slide stop right? Or did I read that wrong. If so, then like mine I don't think relieving the slide stop will help, you need the opposite, more slide stop to block the follower from jumping above it. My original slide stop somehow wore down really fast in one spot allowing the followers to get around it.

STI sent me a new one under warranty. 

Your followers are slipping up above the slide stop right? Or did I read that wrong. If so, then like mine I don't think relieving the slide stop will help, you need the opposite, more slide stop to block the follower from jumping above it. My original slide stop somehow wore down really fast in one spot allowing the followers to get around it.

I suppose it could be that, it's like the followers tip up and slide past the slide stop, and get stuck on the side of it above where it should be contacting the follower

Just now, Gooldylocks said:

I suppose it could be that, it's like the followers tip up and slide past the slide stop, and get stuck on the side of it above where it should be contacting the follower

Dude you're an open shooter. You should know all about the 1911 quirks!

Which mags are you running? Actual metalforms or the Brownell's version?