Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Ultra FS 9mm for SS?

41mag

Went to a gun show this weekend with a friend to just "look" (didn't take any cash) and ended up coming home with the RIA Ultra FS 9mm. :) (No,I didn't steal it!)

I ordered some 147gr rn Blue bullets.

It came with 1 10rd Mec-Gar mag.

Thought Id ask the experts on here what I need to do, should do, and could do to make it a fun, reliable and competitive pistol in SS. Competitive being relative.

More mags are a given. Which will be the best?

Whats the fastest holster allowed in SS?

Any good load data for minor? I have Clays,TG, Solo 1000, WST powders. Will be using mixed head stamp once fired brass.

I think its ok to pin the grip safety, right? That thing gives me grieve. I grip the gun high and it dosnt always activate.

Can I put one of those safeties (not sure what its called, Swenson?) on it that keeps the strong thumb from riding/rubbing the slide?

Can I move the mag release to the other side? 

I should mention I'm referring to USPSA SS div.

recoil spring weight?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Edited by 41mag

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't compete in USPSA, but I have the same pistol and use it in IDPA ESP class.  So far, through 2000 rounds, it's been 100%.

I don't reload, but I do use 147gr. ammunition.  Recoil is much improved over 115 and 124gr.  Stock spring weight for the 9mm FS is 12lb.  I replaced that with a Wolff 10lb and can feel a difference in recoil over stock (a bit softer).  I've read of some who use an 8lb, but have not tried this.  Our match director loads 160gr Bayou Bullets in 9mm.  I've shot some of his ammo and they're even softer recoiling than the 147's.  If you're interested, I can ask what load he uses.  As for magazines, I have both Wilson and McCormick 10-round and they all function 100%.  If you don't have one, I suggest the purchase of an Uplula mag loader.  Getting the last round or two in those can be hard on the thumb.

If you're comfortable with the front sight as it is, fine.  Personally, I found the blade to be too wide, nearly filling the rear notch.  Armscor uses a .06 FO insert in their front sight.  I replaced this with a new front from Dawson that's.180 tall and .100 wide and uses a smaller .04 FO rod.  Hopefully I've been a little help to you.

Thank you Gentlemen, very helpful information.

Ill pass on the 160gr load data for now Jim, but thanks for offering that.

I thought the front sight was a little tight also. I will change it out.

Thanks for the load Data Dave. Is that loaded to book spec for OAL?

Jim, are you shooting rn bullets?

I don't have any reloads yet, have blue bullets ordered. But I wanted to shoot the gun so I wasted some of my 124gr Hydra-Shok JHP's +P+. A full mag wouldn't feed from slide lock, just nose dived.You could slingshot the slide on eight rounds and they would feed. Out of 20 rounds fired they all fed ok while firing but did have one stovepipe jam. The muzzle flip with those rounds was pretty intense. I know this gun is set up for round nose ammo so I'm not judging. Just thought I would share that. I had never shot a 1911 9mm pistol and had expected the muzzle flip to be less then my Glock.

Will this thing shoot flatter when I load minor?

I'm using the same bullets you are and I use 3.2 gr of title group. I bought some Wilson mags for the gun but when loaded with 10 they were harder to seat and would drop out during competition. I like the factory mags and they can be found for about $20 a piece online. I also replaced the magwell with the Dawson ipsc magwell, and I put in an extended lighter firing pin. 

10 hours ago, 41mag said:

"Jim, are you shooting rn bullets?"

I shoot Freedom Munitions FMJ ammo all the time.  I also have a couple of cases of Speer Lawman 147gr with a flat point FMJ that has functioned 100%.  You mentioned recoil, and the 115gr rounds are snappy in both the Rock and my G19.  The 147's are a lot softer.

Tagged for interest - I'm looking at the same gun for Single Stack.

More mags are a given. Which will be the best? - Brownells' mags have good reviews, $19.99 each right now and hold 10 rounds. Dawson CRP's are $37 each with great reviews

Whats the fastest holster allowed in SS? Go with a Bladetech body - I have a BOSS hanger with a BT body for production, really nice.  Forum Sponsor Red Hill Tactical makes really nice stuff too.

Any good load data for minor? I have Clays,TG, Solo 1000, WST powders. Will be using mixed head stamp once fired brass. - 3.6 of WST, under 147gr Bayou @ 1.135 made 129pf in my G34, should be similar for a 1911. 3.1/3.2 of TiteGroup under a coated 147 @ 1.135 is another popular load.

I think its ok to pin the grip safety, right? That thing gives me grieve. I grip the gun high and it dosnt always activate. - I don't see a rule specifically prohibiting a pinned safety.

Can I put one of those safeties (not sure what its called, Swenson?) on it that keeps the strong thumb from riding/rubbing the slide? - Yup it is allowed.

Can I move the mag release to the other side? - I've heard of 1 company that makes a right side release, Mitchell Custom I think but awfully spendy.

Thanks Scott, great info.

Im pleased to see TG loads as I have a lot of that powder, second only in amount to my stash of Clays for my 625. (which may not see much more use, but thats another thread).

I am familiar with BladeTech holsters but have not heard of the BOSS hanger. Will check it out.

I have one of the safeties for the right side on another gun. Cant remember where I bought it but Mitchell Custom rings a bell. I really like it. Can drop the mag without changing my grip and by doing it with the trigger finger no RO should ever have to wonder where my trigger finger is during a reload :).

I ordered the Brownells mags.

Still waiting on bullets.

Micthell right side mag release, go for it!!!!!....I have small hands , it solves any 180 degree question an RO might have also..... Mine is 10/12 years old.... You will want to customize it for your hand fit..

Got my Blue 147gr 9mm bullets.

Loaded 3.1grs of TG @ 1.135

889 avg.  130pf

I shot four mags, one over the chronie and the rest offhand to test muzzle flip and accuracy.

Only one of the four mags ran without a failure to extract. The cases looked a little sooty. The ejection wasnt real strong, cases were landing about a foot out to the right.

So, any suggestions to trouble shoot the extraction problem?

Ive been researching the forum on reducing the muzzle flip and it seems I need to order a new recoil and main spring. 

Hey Mike, What did you do to customize your mag release? Im just running mind "stock". Its on a 45 1911 that I haven't shot much because it never ran right even after a few trips back to the builder. Hammer follow and then full auto! If I can get this Rock Island to run Ill just move the safety over from the 45.

Edited by 41mag

If the sooty condition is prominent, you may want to up your powder charge to see it goes away.

I run a 10# spring, which I know for 9mm is a bit on the heavy side.  My SS buddies are running mostly 8# with 147 bullets.  

I run a Blade Tech holster and it works just fine.  The BOSS hanger is a good option.  That is from http://benstoegerproshop.com

You can run the BOSS hanger, but not the Drop option in SS.  (Somebody correct me if I am wrong)

I have small hands and I just "float" ALL of my guns, but it screws with your grip and takes time to do well. 

Welcome to, IMHO, the second hardest division (SS, Minor) in USPSA.  (revolver is just stupid nuts).

25 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Lighter recoil spring for the ejection.

I will need to solve the extraction problem first, right? But your saying I will get better ejection with a lighter recoil spring, faster rearward slide movement?

thanks

13 minutes ago, rhett45acp said:

(revolver is just stupid nuts).

Thats what I used to shoot before I got out of the game for the last five years or so! :) Going to get back into shooting this year now that Im retired.

I will need to solve the extraction problem first, right? But your saying I will get better ejection with a lighter recoil spring, faster rearward slide movement?

thanks

Yup. It'll let the slide move more quickly to the rear and likely throw the brass further. Just have to make sure everything chambers fine, you can go too light.

Does the RIA have a ramped barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, 41mag said:

Thats what I used to shoot before I got out of the game for the last five years or so! :) Going to get back into shooting this year now that Im retired.

I shot it for about a 1 1/2 years.  It was really fun, but I did not have all the cool stuff.  I shot with a 6" 686 Minor with Safariland speed loaders.  At the time I was getting my butt handed to me with dudes running 625s and moons.  But, as I said it was fun and taught me a lot about trigger control.  I think it also leads to good trigger technique that translates to production striker guns.  Maybe I need to go back to revolver for my trigger control right now sucks.

1 minute ago, rhett45acp said:

I shot with a 6" 686 Minor with Safariland speed loaders

Now I know why you said "stupid nuts"! I had all the cool stuff. Loved getting all my 45acp brass back with out crawling around.

Thats why Im thinking 9 minor for SS, I will just leave the brass for others if they want it. Its only 20 something bucks a K once fired if you buy in bulk.

Back to the RIA 9mm;  I have 2 SA SS 9mm and it is a blast.  I run the Dawson Mags with S&A magwells.  I put in a Dawson extended mag release.  It is the mid length one.  I don't like big buttons and do not even run them on my 2011 guns.  Since I float the gun on reloads. 

I leave the brass for the chickens too, but I have a strong supplier for 9mm.

It is a challenge to cram those little mags in the little magwells.  When I switch to my limited gun it feels like cheating.

My comment about the sooty brass is around you may not be getting a complete chamber seal.  Just bump up the powder a bit and see what happens.  I personally use 124 jacketed or plated HP running about 132-134 PF.  I found at a lower PF the slide was taking forever to cycle.  I think I just like snappy a bit better. 

Ill bump the charge a little to try to get a better seal in the chamber. Could the brass not sealing off well cause the failures to extract? Maybe brass moves back into the extracter before the slide starts rearward? I am ignorant when it comes to trouble shooting a bottom feeder.

My first guess is the gun is a little rough and needs some break-in.  Please read this as not knocking RIA - I am looking at one for SS 40.  I think someone advised shooting some factory.  Get some Winchester White Box.  If it will not run that, then maybe something is up.  I also would bump up my loads a tad.  For every action there is a reaction, right?  So if you are down in powder puff land (130PF) there is not a lot of action.  :-) 

I am a firm believer in the scientific method.  Change one thing at a time.  Try either factory WWB or bumping up the load and nothing else.  If the problem goes away then you can explore tuning the springs, which is really good advice, but you must know why.