Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reach For It Mister - 10y Draw!

dirtypool40

Ok, we're all on here bragging about the sub-.30 draw we can hit to a mini popper at 50y, how about a test, and a real average?

10y

Hands RELAXED, facing target.

Ten draws. Score Target.

It's easy if you have the "Comstock go" feature on the pact MkIV. Otherwise you'll have to stop and record times.

Gear and Class please. Robot heads or Amoebas?

I did this yesterday.

OPEN / Unclass / Amoebas. 1.12 average. 8A 2C. 4.28 hf.

STANDARD / M / Amoebas. .949 average. 8A 2C. 5.057 hf.

This is my first practice session back, trying out the eye that's taking time to heal. My goal is to get the STANDARD times down to .90 in six weeks, nice and smooth, as my eye heals. I feel I am getting to the gun quickly, but still having trouble picking up the sights quickly enough.

Open I am just playing around with the new toy. It's a different holster, and finding the dot is taking longer than I'd hoped. I shot my first open match a few weeks back, and although the gun wouldn't run, I only shot one "D" the whole day.

In unrelated good news, the M882 round makes major out of my gun. Too cool.

Ok, back to the test......What d'ya got?

I think it's a pretty fair, objective test to get an average.

I hope we don't have more responses because folks are running out to do it themselves.

I'm going to hit it once in a while and see if things are consistent or hopefully with a little of that dry firestuff, improving.

Then I'll do one at 15y.

50 / 11.11 = 4.5004 ( Av draw 1.11, High - 1.18, low -.98)

A Class / Production

G34 / USPSA holster position

"Robot head" targets

I usually start off my practice with a 25 yard group then 10 one shot draws. Just never recorded the times as a COF before.

Cool drill!

There is a variation of this drill that we discussed a couple of years ago. Same basic idea, but using the Comstock Go button of the MkIV you had to do as many of these one shot draws as you could in 10 seconds without going over. I forget what it was called (Brian brought it up), but say you were getting ready for your 10th draw and the time read 9.45. You better get that next draw off in .55 or there was a penalty.

Ok, we're all on here bragging about the sub-.30 draw we can hit

Not a soul has ever heard me brag about my draw. Tried this today. Average of 10 draws was 1.24 seconds. No points down for a hit factor of 4.838. Iron sights, M class. Matters not if it's a single stack, fat gun, Glock, double action auto, or a revolver.

I have worked very hard for years on my draw. The time to an A box or to an 8 inch plate at 10 yards hasn't improved at all. But, and this is important, there is virtually no gap in time between my practice draw and my match draw. There is also little difference between 10 yards and 15 yards. It's a vision thing. :)

Good points Ron.

Back when I could see I was practicing mostly at 15y and out, and noticed that there was damned little difference between 10y and 15y. So long as I was "there" and focusing properly, I was hitting draws, VP's and reloads in about the same time.

You're right about the difference between practice and match draws. That's one of the things I am proud of, there ain't much difference, in fact sometimes, if I am really up for a stage, I will smoke a good draw in a match that's a little ahead of my normal practice times.

Ok I tried it as well...

10 draws with average draw of 1.43 / 10 A's

Full size Kimber, limited, 3 dot sight, with factory hardball from a comp-tac locking paddle.

Later, Steven

PS.

Also tested reaction time by putting gun on target and how fast could I rip a shot off at the sound of the buzzer.

Avergae after 10 tries was .15 seconds +- .02

Later, Steven

That's pretty friggin' sporty.

My goal once my eye heals up and I get the clarity back, is to get to a .90 average for an "A", on amoebas.

.05 may not seem like a lot, but I know it's ain't easy.

How about doing it with a real ccw gun, and with a shirt or a FASTENED coat, you know, like it was for real street concealment? How about with 90 and 180 degree pivots, both to left and right, so that you can't cheat and get your body "locked onto" the target?

How about doing it with a real ccw gun, and with a shirt or a FASTENED coat, you know, like it was for real street concealment?  How about with 90 and 180 degree pivots, both to left and right, so that you can't cheat and get your body "locked onto" the target?

sixx,

The thread starter defined the test for the skill set that he wished to measure. If you would like to test something else, by all means, do so. Shoot whatever drills you deem appropriate. But, please post about them in a new thread.

How about doing it with a real ccw gun, and with a shirt or a FASTENED coat, you know, like it was for real street concealment?  How about with 90 and 180 degree pivots, both to left and right, so that you can't cheat and get your body "locked onto" the target?

sixx,

The thread starter defined the test for the skill set that he wished to measure. If you would like to test something else, by all means, do so. Shoot whatever drills you deem appropriate. But, please post about them in a new thread.

And on top of that, unless I've read wrong, DP's Limited/Standard gun is his carry gun.

I get why this guy calls himself "sixx." It's 'cause he wants everyone to watch him. Y'know "watch sixx." It's, like, tacktickle or sumpin'.

"A 1.30 average is pretty sporty from concealment.

Shoot it without the vest and give us another total."

I've been doing the IDPA "concealment" thing for two years now. I'll give it a try without. Should be interesting as my draw skills development has been focused on wearing concealment so the trained movement geometry is different . I'll give it a try this weekend.

Aren't Hackathorn, Wilson, Dalton and Mickey dead....Oh no, it just seems like they are cause I used to shoot with them and I am old enough to almost be dead...

Guess you are old too, huh???? :lol::blink:B)