Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think I loaded a double charge.

51 minutes ago, benos said:

Yes, I had the smallest (550) bin on my 1050. It just take takes a few seconds to empty it into your ammo bag.

I agree that it's a good idea to dump finished rounds every 200. Did you recheck all your charges and settings before dumping and continuing reloading? This would check that there were no errors in the 200.

On 10/4/2016 at 8:36 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Why?

So far I've loaded 50k or so on a 650 without ever loading a squib or a double charge.

I'm talking about a jam, not a double, or squib. Like as in when a you get a mil spec case and the primer sticks halfway, or the primer gets sideways in the plastic tip (flexible orifice # 14024), and stops the press. I pull all the stations and start over clean. I've loaded well over 600,000 rounds on progressives (old 550 and a SD) and never had squibs/doubles, but have had a few primer jams. That is until I started using the 650 primer magazine tube with the brass tip 10 years ago, no more jams.... Dillon does not recommend this. 

Edited by 9x45

1 minute ago, 9x45 said:

I'm talking about a jam, not a double, or squib. Like as in when a you get a mil spec case and the primer sticks halfway. I pull all the stations and start over clean. I've loaded well over 600,000 rounds on progressives (old 550 and a SD) and never had squibs/doubles, but have had a few primer jams. That is until I started using the 650 magazine tube with the brass tip 10 years ago, no more jams.... Dillon does not recommend this. 

Yeah, we understood that.

And we disagree that it's necessary. You clear your stations to avoid a double or squib. Everyone else just visually confirms the powder charge (even more carefully than usual).

Well, I started getting failure to feed to station one, primers were coming in sideways and the main shaft started sticking when trying to lower it.

Press is now back at Dillon for service.  I'm sure everything will run like a top when I get it back.

Now I have lots of time to pull the bad bullets.  Weighing didn't help, after weighing the bullets some were as much as 5 grains different.  No way will the scale be good to figure out which is the bad bullet.