Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What year Limited Pro has the shorter IDPA legal beaver tail?

hav3n

Thinking about getting a Limited Pro but want to shoot it for production and for SSP/ESP. 

The guy on gunbroker says the Limited Pro he's selling is a 2016 production but the pictures have both the old beaver tail and the new beaver tail in the pictures. 

What year did they start with the shorter fatter beaver tail that fits the IDPA box?

thanks. 

4 hours ago, ElMateo487 said:

Can you post the pictures here? I believe it was mid to late 2015 and after are the newer ones.

Thanks for the info!

Well that's the thing. The listing has both the new frame and the old frame in the same listing. - Argh!

Thanks for the info!

Well that's the thing. The listing has both the new frame and the old frame in the same listing. - Argh!

Pmed you. Nearly certain it'll be the new model, but best to email them and ask.

You definitely need the new model for it to fit the box. My new model touches both sides of the official IDPA box and BARELY fits.

29 minutes ago, ElMateo487 said:

Pmed you. Nearly certain it'll be the new model, but best to email them and ask.

You definitely need the new model for it to fit the box. My new model touches both sides of the official IDPA box and BARELY fits.

I'm probably just going to buy from Ben's pro shop since they'll know what the hell i'm talking about. Is that where you got yours?

On 10/3/2016 at 10:31 AM, fischeac said:

I bought mine from Oak Hill guns about 2 months ago. Fits in the IDPA box once the right side safety is removed, or you put on a single sided safety from a normal Witness pistol.

Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at an Oak Hill listing.

On Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 3:44 PM, ElMateo487 said:

Can you post the pictures here? I believe it was mid to late 2015 and after are the newer ones.

I just purchased a Lim Pro that, according to the EAA website, was imported in November 2015. It appears to be the new style, but I have yet to try it in the IDPA box.

On 10/4/2016 at 0:41 PM, hav3n said:

Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at an Oak Hill listing.

Purchased a couple guns from Oak Hill. Great prices and ship fast. Both purchases shipped the same day I paid for them.

Thanks for all the help everyone. 

Placed my order this weekend. Oak Hill DOES ship fast. Took them about 4 hours and it was shipped. 

Will update the thread after I try the gun in the box when I pick it up.

Picked up my Lim Pro yesterday afternoon. I was pretty freaking excited.

First thing - YES It has the shorter beavertail. Will go in the IDPA box tonight to confirm I'm set for SSP/ESP and Production with this gun.

That said - the trigger is absurdly heavy right now in Stock condition.

Is this normal? Like #12 DA and #5 or #6 SA.

On the up side the single action has very little creep for a factory trigger. 

I have all the trigger parts on order so I'm not overly worried about how my trigger will eventually feel after a trigger job I'm just wondering if there isn't something wrong with my trigger as is? Anything to look for?

I field stripped it last night and cleaned and oiled it. I'll do a detail strip this weekend and maybe a polish job while I wait on parts. 

Edited by hav3n

While you wait for the fancy parts....

Polish the plunger and the hole it goes in. As the head moves, there should be no "zipper feel" from tooling marks.  then the trigger bow where the plunger rides.  next the hammer strut and hole. Then the hammer pins and holes.  then the firing pin channel, firing pin, block and it's hole.  Chamfer the bottom edge of the breech face, the face and the rib down the center of the slide.  the extractor hook needs to be removed to polish the FP channels, polish it up too.  I detail polish the rails in the slide and frame. Plus all the normal things, but the above get the most attention.

The one thing I do NOT touch is the sear face. It's only surface hard and too easy to burn through. I do polish the holes and pins for the sear.

Doing the above, I brought a friends S2 down to 8 1/2# da 4#+sa with all factory parts and good lube. It was in that 11-12# da range to start

Edited by johnbu

2 hours ago, Marshal82 said:

What about with a mag? looks like it fits as well as a glock 34. 

You can see the up and down play in the video without the mag. With a mag it fits the same length wise but just has less play up and down. 

Here's it going into the same box as part of a box start from the IDPA match that night.@ 4:28 https://youtu.be/icVCKzPp_SY?t=4m28s 

It is too wide and you'll have to replace or remove the safeties with different ones (i'm just going to take off the right side one for now).