• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, ElMateo487 said:

Is this Bevan Grams?

http://www.gramsengineering.com/index.php

Also what size did he ream it to? I am new to the idea but want to have my barrel done.

That's him.  I think what you should do is load up a few "safe" rounds (no primer/powder) w/ the bullet of your choice to the OAL you want.  Then tell him how much longer you want the chamber reamed.

24 minutes ago, ElMateo487 said:

Also what size did he ream it to? I am new to the idea but want to have my barrel done.

You'll need to send a few samples of the ammo you're loading to open the barrel the proper amount for the OAL and bullet you're using.

1 hour ago, ElMateo487 said:

Is this Bevan Grams?

http://www.gramsengineering.com/index.php

Yes that is him. I have no idea what size he reamed it, just told him I wanted everything to fit and have the same accuracy. Doesn't seem like he took too much off, just enough. Sorry for not having the exact info. 

Yes that is him. I have no idea what size he reamed it, just told him I wanted everything to fit and have the same accuracy. Doesn't seem like he took too much off, just enough. Sorry for not having the exact info. 

Thanks for this. This is what I would want done. I have some reloads I could send him too, but would rather the gun ate everything.

But max magazine length is still relevant to what bullet you're using. A fat, flat-nose bullet loaded to max mag length is effectively much longer with regard to how much freebore it needs once it's chambered than the super-pointy 115 FMJs that Winchester loads in WWB.

Have you ever mic'd WWB? It is looooong ammo. Around 1.160" if I recall. But it feeds in everything.

The only part of the bullet that matters is the shoulder of it, where the bullet exits the case - which is what hits the rifling. A round, fat bullet or a square shouldered flat nose can't be loaded as long as something that tapers down to a point VERY quickly. The longer shoulder / ogive sticks further into the rifling.

When I installed a hand-fitted Apex match barrel into my M&P and shrunk groups from 6" to 2" at 25yd, I had to throat the barrel myself. All of my loads are around 1.135" to 1.150" long and wouldn't feed.

I borrowed a hand reamer from a friend and loaded dummies of my fattest profile bullet to 1.120, 1.125, 1.135, and 1.155 long.

I was able to keep track of how much I was lengthening the throat as I went by seeing which ones would plunk & spin. And finishing just past 1.155 meant my 1.150 loads would have enough free-play that I knew they'd run 100%

This did seem to help alleviate the already rare light strikes I sometimes had with certain ammo.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'm under the impression if you have your barrel reamed for lets say one of the coated 135 gr load @ 1.150", these generally need a much longer throat, but then go back to a shorter cartridge in the future, the additional gap between the rifling and the bullet can cause decreased velocity and negatively effect accuracy. Anyone know if there is any truth to this???

Conventional wisdom says that having your bullet touching the rifling, or into it slightly, gives better accuracy. To the best of my knowledge that's from the benchrest / bolt action crowd.

After fitting that Apex barrel to my M&P, which will eat that bullet out to 1.155 ... I developed a load at 1.115" so that all of my guns could shoot it. I shot a 1.75" group with it off of it with the gun bagged in at 25yds.

That kind of accuracy would be scoffed at by the bullseye crowd, but it's more than accurate enough for USPSA purposes, which is where my interest lies.

(Prior to the barrel replacement my gun grouped minute-of-C-zone at 26 yards. Literally. The early M&Ps were notorious for hating heavy bullets. 135s and 147s gave 6" groups, while 115s were good for about 3.5" ones.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I haven't mic'd WWB but I was shooting it with no issues out of my chamber before. I went to chamber a hand loaded 124gr and no go... Wasn't even close to being in battery... Seriously not even close. My point was that, he isn't going to ream the barrel out like 3 inches. The point I was making is that, when you have a cartridge at max magazine length, regardless of the weight and shape (FMJ, round, flat, hollow, etc) it should fit. He reams it enough to clear that stuff... The 124gr I tried that wouldn't go into batter were hollow point precision deltas I think... They were working fine in another tanfo.... But my chamber was too tight. I wish I would have pulled my head out of my anus sooner. I would have had the barrel reamed already. Going to see if I can make it through a match this saturday, then they are going out.

And as far as accuracy... Shooooooot as long as I'm minute of man at 25 yards, I'm happy... I'm the least accurate part of this equation anyways lol.

Edited by ryridesmotox

1 hour ago, ryridesmotox said:

I haven't mic'd WWB but I was shooting it with no issues out of my chamber before. I went to chamber a hand loaded 124gr and no go... Wasn't even close to being in battery... Seriously not even close. My point was that, he isn't going to ream the barrel out like 3 inches. The point I was making is that, when you have a cartridge at max magazine length, regardless of the weight and shape (FMJ, round, flat, hollow, etc) it should fit. He reams it enough to clear that stuff... The 124gr I tried that wouldn't go into batter were hollow point precision deltas I think... They were working fine in another tanfo.... But my chamber was too tight. I wish I would have pulled my head out of my anus sooner. I would have had the barrel reamed already. Going to see if I can make it through a match this saturday, then they are going out.

And as far as accuracy... Ship it as long as I'm minute of man at 25 yards, I'm happy... I'm the least accurate part of this equation anyways lol.

I'm amazed on how much it changed the gun. The idea I was popping 80-90% (100% in SA) CCI primers with a 10# hammer spring is crazy when I was getting less than that with a 13# hammer spring. I put in a 12# and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pop anything. 

As far as accuracy, I'm about to get hit by a hurricane (live in Miami), after it passes I'll go and test reamed vs non-reamed with different rounds. The AA 147gr JHP I use for matches I can shoot all A's at 25yrds (20 rounds), I'll test to see if its the same. Just testing the barrel if it worked and not necessarily shooting best accuracy or sight picture, I was getting a tight 1.5-2in hole at 10yrds, all A's on a IPSC target.

Edited by nunez

• 4 weeks later...

I will be running a 14lbs spring though...  It seems like Murphy always visits me on classifier stages. And I want to make sure I light off those primers... I don't care if I have to hit them with a 79 coupe deville... I'm gonna set those bastards off

Edited by ryridesmotox

I'm running a 13# PD Hammer Spring in mine and going to stay with it. 

6 hours ago, emjei said:

any updates on this matter ????......... I just went to a practice section and came back upset..... my gun does not like CCIs 

Are you running a 13#? What ammo?

On 11/1/2016 at 0:33 AM, nunez said:

I'm running a 13# PD Hammer Spring in mine and going to stay with it. 

Are you running a 13#? What ammo?

147s Bayou Flat Nose Reloads at 1.100 OAL

I was using a 13# PD Hammer Spring with PD FP Spring and OEM FP 

I put a 13# Wolff HS and is working now BUT the DA is Heavieeeeer

Edited by emjei

17 minutes ago, emjei said:

147s Bayou Flat Nose Reloads at 1.100 OAL

I was using a 13# PD Hammer Spring with PD FP Spring and OEM FP 

I put a 13# Wolff HS and is working now BUT the DA is Heavieeeeer

Completely polished? And I mean everywhere and everything. 

CCI I assume? Reamed? 

3 minutes ago, nunez said:

Completely polished? And I mean everywhere and everything. 

CCI I assume? Reamed? 

Yeahh is well polished.......   not Reamed though ( I still dont get how that can affect strikes ) my ammo pass the plunk test 

ALL DA...... I was thinking about cutting coils from PD FP Spring 

Edited by emjei

The cartridge doesn't seat in the chamber all the way so the bullet engages the rifling too soon. so the firing pin energy is absorbed by pushing the cartridge further into the chamber. reaming out the chamber will let you load longer using steeper ogives bullets like JHPs. I am going to start working up a load for 124gr precision deltas. Now that I can chamber the bastards, it should work out real nice.

Nunez, mine is eating everything now that it was reamed. Before it would only eat 115gr fmj reliably.