Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slides For Open Glocks.

Mad Scientist

To all the exsperimenters,

As you guys know Caspian has ben the only source for realy good quality slides for the open and Limited guns that we all desire. They are almost out of all product and say they will be making more but dont seem to have the time to run any.

This is very sad indeed .I see a market that no one wants to deliver to.All is not lost. I have spoken to Kevin at KKM and he has the machine and programing to make slides but is unsure of the intrest. I have also talked with Adam at storm Lake machine . He is very interested in Glocks in general.But again asks of the demand. So I propose a calling campaign to both companys to show them our need is valid and the demand would be there.

KKm 775 246 5444

storm lake to be posted

Johnnie

I agree with John. I have also spoken to Adam at Storm Lake and informed him that we need another company besides Caspian that can make race worthy Glock slides. Adam at Storm Lake can be reached at 865-988-8933. I have Storm Lake barrels in all of my Glocks. They make a great product at a great price. KKM would also be another good option because they make quality products as well. Lets make some calls and see if we can make something happen.

I received a reply back two days ago from KKM, saying they tooled up for them a while back but their wasn't a market for them but ARE thinking about tooling up again for production THIS Summer if enough interest developes.

What I would like to see: 4140 steel, interchangeable breechfaces, 42Rc, 17/22 length, Flat muzzle end for compensator fitting, with Glock 18 lightening cuts? Ok, I can live without some of the features...

• 4 weeks later...

What are the advantages of having a Caspian or other non Glock slide on your open or limited gun?

The only ones I can think of are an interchangeable breach face (My Major 9 cracked one already) and a better slide to frame fit.

Are there any other advantages?

Caspian doesn't have a tennifer finish, it's regular [stainless] tool steel. Glock slides are hard as nails on the outside and very soft underneath the surface finish. Caspian are less prone to cracks. Also about $100 less [when they were for sale.]

Much tighter slide-to-frame fit, front serrations if you're into that sort of thing. No interchangeable breachface but the hard/soft nature of Glock slides is most likely the cause of eroded breaches - happened to my G20 also.

Downsides would be - sometimes - striker tunnel needs opening up to prevent striker binding. Mine also lacked the debris hole just aft of the breachface, drilled one in last night and for the first time my striker falls freely when the drop safety is depressed. I think there was a bit of vacuum lock going on without the hole.

Good info.

I also had some lightning cuts in my slide for weight because I was using a C-more slide ride at the time. When I sent my slide back to Glock after the breachface cracked, they told me that I had cracks developing there too.

I haven't lightened the new slide yet but I did lower the ejection port. Is that going to be a problem?

Good question - maybe other people who've cut on Glock slides can say. My ejection port is untouched & with the Docter there's been no ejection problems at all. But they eject anywhere from 1 to 3 o'clock & a few have hit me in the head.

I know that Wilson [or Brownells] sells a shok-buff for Glock but I "heard" that they hurt the reliability of the gun. If I still have mine I'll put it in the gun & try it.

I am curious as to the specs as well, steel type, features, warranty if any? (Hmm, a release date right before Christmas.... good timing)

I wonder, if the slide was deburred and shot peened after the lightening, if the cracks could have been prevented.? I have a 34 and a 35 and would like to mill the rear of the slide ala G18 style but most cracked slides end up being Glock OEM, milled and untouched.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone was searching high & low for a Caspian Glock slide [like I did] I would suggest you don't bother because you may get one of the lemons they sold after they stopped production. Johnnie & I have both found very basic QC problems with their slides, mostly in the striker/breechface area.

If you can wait for a KKM that's going to be a winner - I've never heard of KKM selling a low-quality part to anyone. In the meantime, things to consider if you want to build an Open gun with a stock Glock slide:

---The G17 slide is a little bit light - even with a 15 lb spring, the slide velocity is very fast and the locking surfaces start to peen over a little. The slides made for 357Sig and for 40 might be better for Major power factor. Putting a heavy [steel] comp on the end doesn't seem to be a good compromise, it creates more problems.

---The G34 slide has internal lightening that forms a weak spot, something that's not so much an issue with a G35 slide - again, I'm curious to see if someone makes a 357Sig or 40 Open gun. With a titanium comp and a 13-15lb ISMI spring they should run just fine . SinterFire sells 40 bullets that are really light but still accurate as long as there's no crimp on the ammo. www.sinterfire.com

---Make the gun as heavy as you can get it, but again, don't hang a heavy comp on the barrel. 32oz is a little punishing with a flat-shooting flame-throwing Open gun. Use the CGR tungsten rod and the CGR brass magwell, is my advice. I have them and wish they were even heavier. Tom Novak and JP sell steel magwells & they both look heavy.

---Don't stress on magazine capacity. I have a 27-round 170mm mag & I've barely used it. Your club may run 22-26 round stages, but around here they've been replaced by 28-34 round stages [with steel] where EVERYONE reloads once. I buy once-fired nickel 9x19 cases & they're no cheaper than once-fired 40 or 357sig.

Edited by eric nielsen

I'm using a glock 22 slide with the conversion barrel from kkm. I'm currently waiting for a Brianh Ti comp for it... I'm right around 6,000 rounds through it now. I have a lightening cutout in the front aka g34,35 style and a dishing behind the breechface between it and the sight cutout. I lowered the ejection port as well... No cracks developing yet. The barrel is a little heavier being it is a g22 slide so the od is larger than on a 17 barrel.

I'm using a glock 22 slide with the conversion barrel from kkm. I'm currently waiting for a Brianh Ti comp for it... I'm right around 6,000 rounds through it now. I have a lightening cutout in the front aka g34,35 style and a dishing behind the breechface between it and the sight cutout. I lowered the ejection port as well... No cracks developing yet. The barrel is a little heavier being it is a g22 slide so the od is larger than on a 17 barrel.

Doug, show me the slide next time at Richmond pls....

thanks,

michaels

Update - I shot 5 stages yesterday in Orlando and all I used was the big stick. No mag changes at all. So that club is different. Gun ran flawlessly and I did as well as I could. 2 guys shot a little better & gave me a reason to practice more.

I like this Open Glock as much as any gun I've ever had a lot of that has to do with just getting tuned into it by practicing Triple Six and sticking with one load. Once I stopped comparing every little thing side-by-side with something else, I realized this gun can put up the best hit factors that my skills can muster.

If you go this route and have problems along the way, very likely BrianH or Johnnie or I have seen something similar & could help you out. PM thru the Forums is the surest way to get a hold of me, the other guys too.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a heads-up for Open Glock shooters, whatever slide you may be using:

Be nice to the breechface/extractor area of the slide. I suggest lubing that area with Slide Glide or teflon grease for all your dry-fire and live-fire practice. The drop-safety tab that sticks up from trigger bar is there to depress the safety plunger in the slide but it also strikes the bottom of the breechface right at it's thinnest point - directly below the extractor. This happens every single time the slide closes. In live-fire with 9Major this is happening at very high speed.

[see my photo post below]

I had seen a little impact groove in my slide from the safety tab but I sorta let it go because I didn't want lube and maybe attract primer shavings - another issue with 9 Major and Glocks. This last week it has been the cause of 8-10 malfunctions but at least I finally found the problem. The extractor slot was pinching the extractor so it wasn't "live" - it had plenty of tension but didn't move freely.

My advice is: see if your gun will run with a little lube there even in matches & then check for shavings after the match. And periodically strip your slide down, clean completely, and then put JUST the extractor [no other parts] back in its slot and see if it will fall out on its own. If it binds, you have more cleaning to do or possibly some emory-cloth polishing to do there.

Edited by eric nielsen

This sounds very familiar. I had trouble with my G19 jamming for quite some time. I could never figure out the problem, but the empty case was stuck in the barrel and the top round was jammed against it. It looked for the world like the extractor was jumping off the chambered round. I later found the slide was cracked in just the area Eric was describing.

post-5289-1128962369_thumb.jpg

Blue Sharpie shows where the safety tab is struck by the closing slide.

post-354-1128993481_thumb.jpg

Blue Sharpie shows where the slide strikes the safety tab of the trigger.

Red Sharpie points to locally-made debris hole [brand C didn't feel the need]

post-354-1128993543_thumb.jpg

Shows how thin the slide is from the bottom surface to the diagonal extractor cut. You can also see how the striker tip sticks out from not-really-the-center of the primer impact area.

post-354-1128993566_thumb.jpg

The bottom surface of the slide looked worse last night until I polished out a lot of the impact area. Folded emory cloth over the end of a Home Depot paint-stirring stick [the kind they hand out for free] which gets in those spaces pretty well. Also rounded several corners that don't need to be square.

Edited by eric nielsen